0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Official] MMOwned News Team Recruitment

Are you good at keeping up with recent events? Do you like to express your opinions on different types of video games? How about talking with highly ranked players around the globe?

If you answered yes to any of the above, you might be interested in becoming an official MMOwned News Correspondent!

That's right! The time has come for MMOwned to open its arms and allow the application process for potential News Team members to commence.

We will be looking for active, responsible members who are looking to better the community via hard-work and dedication as members of the Official MMOwned News Team Staff.

Also, let me make this clear right from the beginning:

It is not a necessity to have previous experience in this field of work.

Although it is nice to have members come in with a background doing this sort of thing, we understand everyone starts somewhere and we will be willing to give you that opportunity as long as you can pull your weight.

Wait a second Glyn, what do you mean exactly by 'pulling your own weight'? What kind of jobs will we be responsible for completing?

Great question! Continue to the next page and I'll try to break it down for you...

[BREAK=What would we have to do?]

An MMOwned News Correspondent is sort of like an anchor man on T.V.

Actually... Forget that part .

One of our main jobs is scouring the internet for exciting news on certain topics, taking in that information and regurgitate it back onto the forum for the community to read at their leisure.

A new thing we are also going to start doing is promoting and displaying interesting news and exciting new posts that occur right here on the forum for the entire community to check out on the front page. (Once the move is complete).

1. Act in a mature manner around the forum.

2. Stay active. You will be required to post at least 1 article/interview/review etc. every 2 weeks. (The may even be shortened a little bit).

3. Follow basic rules/concepts. For instance, if you are conducting an interview make sure that it is with someone who is very famous or influential (someone the entire community will recognize). It's called the News Team for a reason, we want real news first.

4. Be prepared to sacrifice a bit of extra time for potential team meetings (this has not been fully decided upon yet but is definitely a very real possibility).

5. Actually work (this means no copypasta from other sites; write it in your own words).

6. Be yourself. We want actual people here on the team, personality and creativity can be your best friend if you exercise those attributes actively.

Of course these are only watered down examples to give you an idea of what you'll be required to do and will be explained further if you do become a News Team member.

[BREAK=Application Process]

Okay so without further adieu, I'll talk about the application process.

Instead of what was done last time the News Team recruited (simply sending in a piece of work), we've decided to make it a little bit more challenging.

If you are interested in becoming a part of the team, PM me (Glynbeard) with a 100-200 word written proposal describing to me why you think you're the best candidate for the job. Make sure the subject of the Private Message says: MMOwned News Team Application so that they can be easily sorted through. Try to mention two of your strengths and two of your weaknesses in the proposal (be honest, I'll know if you're lying in the end).

If the proposal is accepted, you will be sent a reply containing information on a project you are to complete (write a review or article etc.). This is to insure you are capable of doing more than one specific job and will act as a great source of experience. You will be required to send the project back within 5 days as News Team members will given deadlines like that fairly often and you must be able to prioritize your free time.

When the project has been returned to me (within the 5 days time) you will be notified that I have received it and scrutinized by the rest of the team and myself.

This is an ongoing process and no date has been set to end this application process yet. There is also no specific number of members we are looking to take on at the moment. If we see someone who has potential they will be given a chance, don't think because you are late reading this that you have no hope in making it.

[BREAK=Helpful Practices]

Still reading? Good. This section is devoted to some helpful practices and routines that will boost your chances at becoming a great News Team member exponentially!

First off, make sure (especially if you are new to this) to look at some of our old posts and notice things we did well as well as stuff that didn't turn out as great as we had hoped. Learning from our mistakes is one of the biggest positives to joining as a later member.

Secondly, make sure to look around the web and bookmark 5-10 high end MMO-related news sites. Or even sites that report on their own news (eg. worldofwarcraft.com). After you have done this, get in the routine of checking the sites 2-3 times a day and try to pick out the really juicy information. If you keep doing this for a week or two, it will eventually become second nature and if you find you don't have to time to do this then you'll know maybe this isn't the right job for you.

Thirdly?, look over your general strengths and weaknesses. For instance, maybe you have an innate ability for editing super-awesome videos, or maybe you're good with graphics. Monopolize on these abilities and be prepared to use them on the team. For instance, if you are great with videos maybe you want to do some Video Casts, or if you are good with graphics you could work out some interesting new images for designs or articles. Even if you are talented with just the written (or typed word), go over how you will introduce and conclude your articles.

Finally, if you are not already active on the forum, try to get your name out there. It will be all the easier for us to decide when we have 1 slot left with 2 amazing articles to choose the member who is actively contributing here at MMOwned.

By following these practices you will have a greater understanding of your talents/limits and will better prepare you for a job here.

[BREAK=What's in it for me?]

You might find yourself wondering what the perks of this job are, and before you get to far into the application process make sure you know what you are getting into:

Q: Can I ban anyone?
    A: Nope.

Q: Staff rights in shoutbox?
    A: Nada.

Q: View staff sections etc.?
    A: Sorry, but no.

Q: Well then what do I get for this hard work?
    A: To best answer that, I'll leave it to my bud (and boss) KuRIoS:

Originally Posted by KuRIoS
    I can not give you any discounts for MMOkings, maybe ket can but not me, but I can tell you that newspost writers that have stayed with us for quite some time are put on the list for staff and are able to put on their "job paper (no idea what it is in english lol)" that you have been a writer for a website with over 600.000 members and that you had loads of published articles, we would be able to vouch for that and write a recommendation, at least i would be able to.

If we are given Beta keys, then you guys are given them first, I actually give beta keys out here before i give to staff.

So even though you think that you don't get anything, you do get something, it might not be something like discount, but I certainly don't think that it is something to just throw away.
    You do gain some abilities like being able to -rep members and post in special sections, but for me, the biggest thing I get is the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day. By having thousands of people read my work and hundreds more comment on it I gain so much experience in this field as an actual job. Not to mention the respect you gain from some members. For example, I often run into members of whom I had never talked to before sending me friend requests or 'good job' comments etc. and that is always a really great feeling.

[BREAK=Conclusion]

It is obvious that you will be full of questions when you are first accepted onto the team and so we have worked out a great way to provide answers to them in the News Team section. Don't think you'll be left in the dark after you pass the application process.

If you have any other questions or concerns post them in the comments below and the current News Team members will try to answer them as quickly and effectively as possible.

I know this would be more fitting to be placed in the Site News section, but I need to utilize the different pages system.

Thank you for reading and good luck everyone! I look forward to working with you

Glynbeard
    MMOwned News Team Leader

Last edited by Glynbeard; 04-14-2010 at 07:22 PM.

[Official] MMOwned News Team Recruitment
    Dombo's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Act in a mature manner around the forum.
    Damn, sorry I tried.

Oloty's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have sent in my application. Just one question: DO we have to subtitle art ourselves?

Example:
    http://redmenmusic.ca/pictures/newsteamsearch.png
    Last edited by Oloty; 04-14-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Glynbeard's Avatar Mawd Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Oloty View Post
    I have sent in my application. Just one question: DO we have to subtitle art ourselves?

Example:
    http://redmenmusic.ca/pictures/newsteamsearch.png
    Received. And no you do not, that is eye candy I use to catch and draw people into my articles etc. It is not at all a requirement.

Oloty's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, but I can always have other people do the art for me.

Zantas's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Glyn's style ^^
    As a writer you probably get the freedom to customize it your way as long
    as it's on topic.
    https://i45.tinypic.com/157df7r.jpg

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by zantas92 View Post
    It's Glyn's style ^^
    As a writer you probably get the freedom to customize it your way as long
    as it's on topic.
    Precisely, this will also give your posts a certain feel that separates them from other people's work.

RyeRye's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to apply for this.
    Very nice article Glyn.

I Hypnotoad I's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q: View staff sections or even the mod CP?
    CP? What is this, 4chan?

Also KuR, It's called a 'Resume'.

Dragon[Sky] can get into our signatures, AND our pants.

Obama's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    2/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used the MMOwned news team(back when I was on it) on my resume before xD. And I got the position I was applying for. I'm thinking about starting to write for my own blog or something along those lines and I sort of want to try my hand at the writing about video games catergory but I wouldn't write about specific in-game things, more like the psycology and other interesting matters about video games and MMO's. I'll think about applying, maybe write up a draft of an article and see how I like it seeing as I have a whole lot more free time now then when I was in the team a year ago. And even back then I really enjoyed writing some of the article and coming up with new ideas for us, it was really a new experience for the original team and the website itself. I did act childish as hell sometimes now that I look back, and it saddens me a little that I lost a bit of integrity but I learned from it. Anyways, good luck to all of those that apply. Have fun with it, remember, this is all for fun and honing your skills as a writer of being apart of a huge community. If you wanted to take yourself seriously and start getting paid then you would create your own blog and website but for now lets sit back with our friends and have a good time.
    Last edited by Obama; 04-14-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Donator 6/2008.
    Contrib 8/2008.Elite 10/2008.Newsteam 11/2008.Legendary 2/2009.

Hellgawd's Avatar Account not activated by Email
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MMOwned News Team was a great experience for me when I was a part of it, and anyone interested in honing their writing skills or even seeing how they would fit in a field such as blogging or news reporting should apply.
    I do suggest having a fair amount of free time, I had troubles even doing a few articles a week without relying on 'cruddy' articles, and I was putting in about 3 hours a day. Now, this could easily vary for anyone, but still.

Xel's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    94/51
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The MMOwned News Team is a great experience for me even when I'm not officialy a part of it.

Brandon88n's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I applied. I find "News" an awesome thing.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments Hellgawd and Obama, you guys pretty much built what we have today.

<3 Xel .

I'll be sifting through and replying to the rest of you who PM'd me over night at my next possible chance.

7itanium's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I apply?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast