0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around the World [Week #2]

Hello again everyone! Welcome to week # 2 of Around the World, the interview which takes you on a journey through different peoples lives all over the globe!

After the huge success of last weeks article I decided that this is definitely something I want to keep doing. So, after sifting through the comments I stumbled across a guy named ReidE96 who is from Scotland and I knew in that instant he was my guy!

If you know anyone or think you live in a pretty cool place, please post a comment after reading for a chance to win next week .

Enjoy everyone!

[BREAK=Interview]

Interview with: ReidE96.
    Conducted via: Private Message.

General Questions:

Glynbeard:
    1. Who are you outside of the forums? Do you work? Attend school? Etc.

ReidE96:
    My name's Euan, I'm 18 and studying Software Engineering at Edinburgh University. Scottish studying in Scotland = no tuition fees Sadly I don't have a job, but I'm hoping to get one soon. Or start looking for one, first I need a flat for next year >.>

Glynbeard:
    2. Where you born in the area you now live or did you move there later in life? If you moved there what are some of the reasons behind it?

ReidE96:
    The university bit kind of gives it away - I'm living in Edinburgh cause I came here for uni

Glynbeard:
    3. What is your primary language? How many can you speak?

ReidE96:
    English is my main one (with bits of Scots English - aye and so on). I can stumble along in German, could probably do the same to a lesser extent in French if I had to, and can speak a little Gaelic (GAH-lick, cause it's the Scottish one. Irish is GAY-lick).

Glynbeard:
    4. Could you walk us through an average day in your life; what are some of the highlights?

ReidE96:
    Usually I'll wake up around nine and spend the day doing pretty much whatever I feel like, with the odd lecture/tutorial/lab. Then evenings, either go out, hook up with a hot girl, come back to room, *CENSORED BECAUSE MMOWNED IS A FAMILY SITE*, or chill at halls (games/movie in common room/my room/other folks rooms), then wake up the next day and do over again :P There's often some archery and/or karate in there.

Glynbeard:
    5. How about your weekends?

ReidE96:
    Much the same as weekdays, only no classes. And I'll probably wake up around 10. Exceptions for when I have competitions, which sadly mean waking up at stupid am to get a bus to wherever for 9ish.

Glynbeard:
    6. The summer months are different for everyone, what are yours usually like?

ReidE96:
    My parents like self catering, so that's what most of my holidays thus far have been (and a ton of tents for a while :/). Personally, I like the rare trips when going to somewhere warm, like America or Italy (or bizarrely last year, the west coast, with >30 degrees temperature).

Glynbeard:
    7. What’s it like outside right now? I know if I look out my window, I see my neighbor’s making a snowman.

ReidE96:
    Dark, it's 11:10pm There's the metal mesh...grid...thingy to keep folks away from the usual front door as it's being replaced, so temporary construction site.

Glynbeard:
    8. Are there any challenges living where you do? How do you overcome them?

ReidE96:
    Being a west coast lad on the east coast, dealing with the paranoia that comes when it hasn't rained that week Seriously though, things are fairly easy here. Pavements get a bit bad when it snows, rain is heavy when it comes, quite windy. Nothing much.

Glynbeard:
    9. What kind of music do you like to listen to? Shoutouts to any favorite bands?

ReidE96:
    My tastes are stupidly varied. Rock, dance, folk, rap....... My ongoing favourites include Crystalline, Runrig, Queen and Flo Rida.

Glynbeard:
    10. Do you take part in any recreational activities? If so, why do you find them entertaining?

ReidE96:
    Archery, Karate, Gaming and *CENSORED AS BEFORE*. Archery is fun cause...well...it is? Not too physically demanding, always room to improve, good social scene. Next weekend I'll be shooting at the British Universities Championship with them, and we expect to win (like we normally do). Karate is great cause our sensei pushes us really hard, so it's good for fitness as well as the obvious self defense aspect. I'll be at a grading in a couple of weeks, and hopefully become a red belt.

Glynbeard:
    11. If you won 20 million in the lottery, but had to donate half of it where would you send it and why? Also, what would you do with the remaining 10 million?

ReidE96:
    I'd send it to helping folks in third world countries get clean drinking water. The other half I'd bank, and live off the interest

Glynbeard:
    12. Could you describe the country you currently reside in one word? Why did you choose this word?

ReidE96:
    There's quite a few that leap to mind, but I'm going to say epic. It applies to the scenery, which is some of the best in the world (up north); the drink, whisky and irn bru being awesome beyond words; the food, haggis <3 venision <3; and the folks, cause we're just plain cool (and I'm probably the only Scot you'll ever actually hear saying it, normally we'll be all "mumble mumble nah we're not all that" whilst blushing).

Glynbeard:
    13. Have you ever met many other members (from MMOwned) or players (any online video game) from around the same area that you live?

ReidE96:
    I've not met any MMOwners in real life (yet). Gamingwise, I've met a few folk who play WoW (who hasn't, they're everywhere ).

Glynbeard:
    14. Anything you’d like to share with the community that wasn’t covered in the interview before we finish the interview with some more interesting questions?

ReidE96:
    Gaelic tongue twisters are about going drinking. Also, terrorists who happen to be on fire beside their (also on fire) jeep full of explosives that they just crashed into an airport terminal are liable to find themselves kicked in the head by a Scot roaring "F***ING 'MON THEN".

Member Questions:

Glynbeard:
    15. Is Willie from The Simpsons the typical Scottish man? - KuRIoS

ReidE96:
    ...ish? Stereotypical, definitely. And sometimes we like to be stereotypical. Certainly kilts when occasion warrants.

Glynbeard:
    16. Do you often wear plaid? - Sychotix

ReidE96:
    I've never worn one, but I've worn a kilt a good few times. Plaids are generally only worn by pipers looking damn fancy.

Glynbeard:
    17. Are you currently wearing any underwear? - Dombo

ReidE96:
    I'm wearing jeans, so yes. If it was a kilt, I wouldn't be.

Glynbeard:
    18. Are you talented in playing the bagpipe? - Reflection

ReidE96:
    Funnily enough, I did play bagpipes for a while. I could probably get a tune out of one, but I'm not that great.

Glynbeard:
    19. Is it true Scots love Haggis? - Ground Zero

ReidE96:
    Yes. You should too. It's awesome.

Glynbeard:
    20. Do you have a pet? If so, what is it? - Vinland

ReidE96:
    I have a goldfish. Mum is allergic to animals with fur (rather a lot then), so I've never been able to have another kind of pet, and in halls we're not allowed any. I'd like a cat, though.

Glynbeard:
    21. If your car would crash at the most empty, distant & lonely place in Scotland, where would that be? Describe what you'd see around you and how you'd solve it. Note: You do not have a cell phone and you left your flying rocket bike at home for some reason. - Reflection/Glynbeard

ReidE96:
    There's a few options in the highlands and islands, all of which are literally the middle of nowhere, with nice views of the sea. Some would have trees. Others wouldn't. Being a Scot, I naturally have the ability to invent awesome stuff (fridge, TV, steam engine, toilets that flush, bikes, phones, films, tyres.....). So I'd grab some rocks/branches and fix the car in a few minutes, upgrading the engine for greater efficiency and output whilst doing so.

Glynbeard:
    Thanks for the interview ReidE96 .

[BREAK=Conclusion]

Well guys that's it! I hope you all enjoyed it. Again, if you wish to suggest yourself or someone you think would make a decent candidate for the next episode please leave a comment with their username and nationality!

Thanks,

Glynbeard

Around the World [Week #2]
    ~OddBall~'s Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    4/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glyn, your neighbours must be making a fukn huge snowman
    https://www.mmowned.com/forums/world-of-warcraft/guides/278302-selecting-bot-you.html - SELECTING THE BOT FOR YOU

PHWOOOOAAAAAR - Parog was here. <3 <----Wtf's a Parog?

ßetray's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like my next vacation destination!

I've always wanted to visit so many places but this just brought my interest to Scotland.

Glynbeard's Avatar Mawd Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ~OddBall~ View Post
    Glyn, your neighbours must be making a fukn huge snowman
    Lmfao! Haha, also thought his answer to 21 was pretty good xD.

Demonshade's Avatar get in da van, i got epix

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason i read every one of Reid's answers with a strong scottish accent in my mind XD. Made it that much better.
    /AFK shower

Subset's Avatar Vanaka
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent interview, makes Scotland look that much bigger.

[e] bigger as in more... known.

Zantas's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reid do you happen to have some pictures of your whereabouts?
    https://i45.tinypic.com/157df7r.jpg

ReidE96's Avatar Archer Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pictures of Edinburgh would be fairly dull. Just a generic city. So here's some of the highlands instead

Actually, I'd forgotten I could throw pictures of the crags and castle at you

Zoidberg's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The landscape of Scotland looks cool, but otherwise, kinda boring.
    Isn't it like... Cold in Scotland?

How is the tourism in Scotland? And is it true that the worlds shortest street is in Scotland?

I'd be happy to represent the country of danishes... Denmark!
    Last edited by Zoidberg; 03-08-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Abra su mente a la realidad.
    Do NOT contact me about trading section stuff. Contact a section MOD instead.

Zantas's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool pics

I could represent the Swedish society, but I think other swedes would
    detest due to where I live in out country ^^
    https://i45.tinypic.com/157df7r.jpg

Reflection's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice interview, I love Scots. I'm glad that these interviews turned out be such a success

Freelance Digital Artist
    https://reflectionartwork.deviantart.com
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not cold enough to be cold, but nowhere near warm. Grey skies, frequent rain, generally depressing weather Some great scenery when you go for hikes in the highlands though.

Yeah, tourism is a MAJOR industry in the Highlands. And you're right about the shortest street - 6ft 9 inches The size of an average Scottish p*CENSORED CAUSE LITTLE KIDS THINK EVEN REPRODUCTIVE ORGANS ARE BAD*

Ravenheart's Avatar Nevermore
    Thanks G/R
    3/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great interview and really cool pics indeed ^^
    I would be glad to represent the Czech community of mmowned, tho there are probably only few of us here

Don't forget You're able to design your own universe.

Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Czech Republic is awesome.

Subset's Avatar Vanaka
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love this interview thing, Glynbeard.
    I am too poor to... travel and a brief overview of one's life makes it so if it were reality,
    I could understand clearer on what goes on there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast