0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WoW-Scam Techniques to Counter RL Scam?

Okay, so I have gotten a check ahead of time to do a short-term job for someone over the Christmas break, but I am feeling really suspicious about the whole thing now.

This person sent me the check via UPS, a check which is ALOT more than the amount she wants to pay me. She said to deduct my pay amount and then send the rest of the money to someone via Western Union.

Does this sound like a scam to you guys? Is this person simply trying to **** me over in the same way a Chinese Scammer does (filing claims and/or using fake money), only far worse?

My bank is looking into this check now (not in account yet), to find out if it's even real or if it's fake, I should have a reply by them tomorrow, they said they won't do anything with the check until they call me. I'm of course hoping it isn't fake, but if it is...

Is there any really good way to get *Something* out of this nasty waste of my time and trust? Can I make this backfire on the scammer, like blackmail her or do some other kind of legal financial thing to get some money or (god-willing) the whole amount of the fake check? I know this can be done through the playout of the whole chinese-scammer/paypal thing..

Does the check HAVE to be real for this person's scam to work? If so, maybe I can just go to a check-cashing place to get it all?

P.S.: If this shouldn't be here or w/e please let me know where it should/will be moved, I really hope there is a section elsewhere on MMOwned this can belong in, because who better to ask for advice to get back at a scammer than other scammers? Plus this is far nastier scam than WoW stuff...
    Last edited by Transducer; 12-18-2008 at 08:38 PM.

WoW-Scam Techniques to Counter RL Scam?
    Tapeworm's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say scam

The Scam:

There are many variations of the fake check scam, but the common thread is a stranger proposing to send the victim a check and have the victim wire money in return. “It may start with someone offering to buy something you advertised for sale, pay you to work at home, or give you an advance on a sweepstakes you won,” explained Susan Grant, director of NCL’s National Fraud Information Center and Internet Fraud Watch programs. “Whatever the set-up is, the bottom line is if someone you don’t know wants to pay you by check but wants you to wire money back, it’s a scam.

The checks sent to victims are forgeries, but they’re so realistic that even bank tellers may be fooled. By the time the checks bounce, the victims have already wired the money to the crooks. Because bank customers are responsible for the checks they deposit, the victims of these scams are left to repay the bank the money they withdrew against the bad check.

“Federal law requires banks to make the funds you deposit available quickly, but it’s important for consumers to know that just because you can withdraw the money doesn’t mean the check is good,” said Edward Yingling, executive vice president for ABA. “We want to help prevent victimization by alerting consumers and bank personnel to this fraud.””
    Last edited by Tapeworm; 12-21-2008 at 08:42 AM.

Transducer's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [COLOR=Gray]
    Originally Posted by [/COLOR
    Tapeworm;1271943]I say scam

The Scam:

There are many variations of the fake check scam, but the common thread is a stranger proposing to send the victim a check and have the victim wire money in return. “It may start with someone offering to buy something you advertised for sale, pay you to work at home, or give you an advance on a sweepstakes you won,” explained Susan Grant, director of NCL’s National Fraud Information Center and Internet Fraud Watch programs. “Whatever the set-up is, the bottom line is if someone you don’t know wants to pay you by check but wants you to wire money back, it’s a scam.

The checks sent to victims are forgeries, but they’re so realistic that even bank tellers may be fooled. By the time the checks bounce, the victims have already wired the money to the crooks. Because bank customers are responsible for the checks they deposit, the victims of these scams are left to repay the bank the money they withdrew against the bad check.

“Federal law requires banks to make the funds you deposit available quickly, but it’s important for consumers to know that just because you can withdraw the money doesn’t mean the check is good,” said Edward Yingling, executive vice president for ABA. “We want to help prevent victimization by alerting consumers and bank personnel to this fraud.””

Thanks for that insight, though it was a bit painfully blue.

I checked in on my bank today, they confirmed that it was a scam, and apparently they're just going to shred the check or something.. because if I was to take it back and try to
    cash it someplace else, I'd still end up in really shitty fraudulent criminal stuff.

So now I'm just wondering if I should try to *BLACKMAIL* this *******. Can I threaten them, say I know what's up, insist they give me $1000 or something (they were supposedly gonna give me $850 out of a $4000+ check), or else tell the cops? Or would that just cause more problems? Am I best off just reporting these people to the police/law without blackmailing, or will they be unable to do jack-shit about it, not even give me a reward or something?

Obama's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    2/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's no such thing as a good deal on the internet.

Donator 6/2008.
    Contrib 8/2008.Elite 10/2008.Newsteam 11/2008.Legendary 2/2009.

Rigormortis199's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post
    There's no such thing as a good deal on the internet.
    thats BS.. I get things on the net cheap all the time-- the net is the best place to buy things and get deals