Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you better read Cypher's post. Just because you'can't afford to play' and because it 'teaches you how to script', doesn't give you the right to copy right their material.

I don't think Blizzard has the intention of shutting ALL the servers, because let's face it, that will be impossible. I think they want to shut down the private servers which are making a profit through donation and selling custom weapons/vendor.

But from a legal stand point, this is just the start. Sending a Letter of Notice, isn't really that hard and time consuming, so when people say they don't have the time ect, I think your very mislead. I think where the Blizzard vs Private Server battle will take a decisive step is when one private server, which ever that may be, decided to take it to court. In my opinion, they really have no legal basis for an argument for running a private server (from what I understand of US copyright law). Lets say for example, one private server decides not to close their server and Blizzard takes them to court. If Blizzard were to win that case, it would set a precedent for any other lawsuit involving/relating to WoW and private server. Once that is set, any other private server that decides not to to close down and take the matter to court, will be bound to this precedent, and any good lawyer knows it's hard to break precedent making going to court pointless. Thus, sending a Letter of Notice could be just the tip of the iceberg. Closing the bigger servers sends a message to the others.

Blizzard VS private servers
    iterrorist's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but i was under the impression that emulators where made by emu-devs to run client info and shizz...but like taking legal action because someone wrote software that interacts with theirs is hardly breaking copyright....then why isn't linux being sue'd for it considering you can run wow etc off that...blizz are just greedy fat cats

Blackboy0's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That know how to make a great game

oigres2's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sure, emulators are made by emu-devs, but property owned by Blizzard without written permission is in violation of Copy Right law. For example, to run a private server, you need to copy all the maps, models ect in order to make it work. Using these files/logo ect without permission is breaking the law. Also the modifying of files which some private servers do is also in violation of copy right. There are plenty of laws being broken when running a private server.

As for Linux, what law are they breaking?? Linux isn't running any private servers, the person who is running the Linux OS might be. Thats like saying, why not sue Microsoft? they can run WoW, but it's the person running the Windows OS thats running the private server.

Blackboy0's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see how modifying the files and all that shit (model editing) is a violation, but how is copying the Maps, Models, DBC Files, etc. a violation? You haven't changed them, they are still the way Blizz made them. You have changed anything, other than the owner.

If I'm like... totally wrong, tell me. I ain't a lawyer. I'm just goin' off of what I know and have learned in my 4 years of WoW, Private Servers and Emulation.

oigres2's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if you have ever read the Term of Use and the EULA when WoW prompts you to accept before you can play the game? Might be a good idea to read even the first two paragraphs.

Anyways, without going into too much legal chatter, you said it yourself.

Originally Posted by Blackboy0 View Post
    ...Maps, Models, DBC Files, etc. a violation? You haven't changed them, they are still the way Blizz made them. You have changed anything, other than the owner.
    The owner is Blizzard, not you!! TITLE 17 CHAPTER 12 § 1202 (C) Basically protects whatever information/code/work in relation to the Terms and conditions for use of the work.

So read the ToU and then apply it to that law. I know your gonna say, but if you host a private server, you don't have to click the ToU or EULA, the use of ANY trademarked or copy righted material without written consent is against the law.

Remus's Avatar Banned

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that and umm .. Linux is OPEN SOURCE. WoW is NOT.

racelin1's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright Everyone you wanna know what i think i think this is all a HOAKS if its not then blizzard is wasting there time there is no way they can shut down every Server it would cost them so much money on there half to shut down even 100 servers and as we all know BLIZZARD is greedy!!!! Also if your server is hosted in Russia or any other country besides America your alright Blizzard can try to shut you down but most likely they cant private servers are out of blizzards power to shut down so dont worry if this is blizzard which it is NOT because they are a smart company and know they cant win but if it is then you have nothin to worry about if your server isnt REALLY BIG with like 1000+ people on avg. but NO one should be worryed not many servers have been shut down anyways and these rumors have been going on for WEEKS and only like 3 or 4 servers have gotten this letter Also just for the record someone said Wowscape had been shut down lol your funny na there still up and running just with a different name go on google and type in Wowscape trust me you will find them

AGAIN no one has to panic make your servers!!! continue makeing bad @ss new servers alright thx for reading what iv had to say!!!

Sorry about spelling Long story i dont wanna re-type
    Last edited by racelin1; 01-05-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456