351/297
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Glider updates

Mercury just posted a new update on the glider forums, quite interesting. more about elite features, new scripter, open office ect.
    Originally Posted by Mercury
    New hire
    First off, the quest for a new hire has been completed. I've always wanted to hire a particular friend of mine that I've known for a long time and I finally wore him down enough to leave his job of 7 years. So over the next few weeks, a new face will be appearing on the forums. And, of course, that means opening an office and continuing the growth plan of "real business". It's a big step. If you're in the Phoenix area, you can come visit the office once we have it open. Just know that the Mountain Dew is only free for employees.

Glider Elite
    Now that some time is freeing up, this is going to happen for real. With a few changes. First change is on the security: we're not integrating with ISX for it. This has nothing to do with recent bans at all - just a decision made between Lax and myself awhile ago, in that it doesn't make sense in today's climate for a lot of reasons. Don't look at this as a negative thing on him at all - I have a lot of respect for his product and I wouldn't be surprised at all if we cross paths with his tech down the road.

Instead, I've been building my own system internally and that's been released as Tripwire. It's still growing up a bit, but it's very cool and I'm real happy with the way it locks things up. The technique is very solid and adds a lot of confidence to using Glider, which brings me to the next point:

Tripwire will not be an elite-only feature. It's just too important to leave out for people that don't sub and I don't want to use security as a method of forcing people to pay for extra features. It's like having optional airbags, which car manufacturers used to do until everyone realized that it was a total dick move and every car should have an airbag. Every Glider will have Tripwire.

On the flipside, having a new hire will mean some new stuff going into elite, specifically better support for vendor/repair stuff and examining items. We want to make a little "scriptlet" interface in Glider that can drive things, so it should be very easy to build vendor/repair stuff as well as quest doers. For instance, you could make a scriptlet that does a quest by going up to the guy, getting the quest, running a small, internal profile to collect stuff, and then turn it in. Or you could make a scriptlet that pulls a primal out of your mailbox, transmutes it, and mails it back to someone else. It's pretty exciting stuff.

In order to run those, and the current free elite features, you'll need elite. So be warned that it is actually coming.

BlizzCon
    I wanted to throw a huge "GliderCon" during BlizzCon, but I don't think we'll have the time to plan it... or be able to pay for a ballroom with stuff. But a bunch of us will be there, so there will be some kind of informal gathering. If you're there for BlizzCon or otherwise live in the area, keep an eye out here for the official update when we have it. It should be myself, new guy, Ms. Merc (be nice, she's not a gamer), and maybe a couple of the mods if I can fool them into going. We may have a little announcement to make for Glider as well, but I really can't provide more info on that now.

Future Gliders
    Other than the existing stuff for Glider in the queue, we're looking really hard at other games now, with more muscle to help the workload. It's very likely that a new Glider will be out for another game within 4-6 months. All we have to do is pick the game...

One more bold title and you've finished it!
    Now you can reply with the TLDR response. All seriousness aside, it's been an interesting last month or two. It's more positive than negative, although that exposure on June 1 makes it pretty close. Still, we're moving forward and the future looks bright. Get ready for a return to normalcy plus a lot more new stuff on top of that.

Glider updates