Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question for 1337-$p34k3R5

Hey there lad's...

I was wondering about the two words "Newb" and "Noob" and guessed there might be pretty many leetspeakers on theese forums...

Well this is my question... Is a newb the same word as noob?

Many say Newb = New player/etc. etc.

Looking on another fact that words in leet like Cool (Kewl) the OO's is replaced with EW... Is it so for Newb?

Last part... If it is the same word... Should it then be pronouced the same way? Like Pwn pronounced Own and so?

Hope I didden't wrote too much.

A question for 1337-$p34k3R5
    Dennis's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: A question for 1337-$p34k3R5

who cares?

lag's Avatar The ERP Chicken
    Thanks G/R
    5/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newb vs. noob

Newb and noob may have somewhat different connotations. Newbs are simply newcomers—noob and n00b, on the other hand, generally means someone who is obnoxious, annoying, or breaks the rules; whether they are actual newcomers or not is mostly irrelevant. Therefore, a noob may be someone who has been around for a long time but still engages in behavior that he or she should have learned is unacceptable. Noobs are generally confident in what they are doing, but in reality are annoying others. "Newb" is not necessarily an insulting word, but "noob" usually is. If someone makes an unintelligent comment on a forum or asks a question that even other newbies could answer then it is said that they are making a "noobish" comment or asking a "noobish" question. However, due to the evolution of language, the term noob or 'n00b' is now used both ways and newb is used only infrequently.
    More experienced players are often encouraged to give friendly advice and help to newbs, to support them as they tackle the learning curve of whichever game they're playing, and some game servers are set up explicitly for the purpose of allowing newbs to gain experience before entering more competitive environments.
    "Noob" can also mean a person who claims to know a lot about a subject but in truth does not. It was first used in hacker groups on the BBS chat systems in the 1980s. It is important to note that noob and newb are not necessarily interchangeable. Many times the term noob or n00b will be used by veterans to degrade a user for their lack of knowledge, or claims to know more than they truly do.
    Recently, the spelling noob has been used more interchangeably with "newb", however, and is being used in a more joking manner, usually among friends and users on good terms when one user makes a mistake that most veterans would know better not to do, whereas a "newb" or "noob" wouldn't know better. For example, in the computer sense, a user on a bulletin board may call a veteran user as a noob in a joking manner because they didn't search for a topic currently open with the same discussion before posting a discussion of their own.
    In online gaming, the term is also often used as a general insult. Frustrated players on the losing team may refer to the winning team as noobs. In this case there is no actual connotation of newness meant; the word is simply being used as an insult. By the same token, members of a dominating team may use the term "noobs" (n00bs) to further frustrate their opposition by implying a general lack of skill on the losing team's part, such as camping (staying in the general vicinity, usually a spawn point, for an extended period of time, especially America's Army and DOOM) or wastefully firing at a wall, wasting ammunition and time. Noob might also be used by veteran players to criticize cheap tactics or overusage of unbalanced weaponry. In an online team game where friendly fire is turned off, a noob "tactic" would be to overuse explosives in cramped areas around fellow teammates. Noob usually applies in games where team-play is important, and the players choose to completely ignore the team structure and goals. Some other "noobs" are players who overly use "uber weapons" to defeat other players, players who "kill-steal" from others, and players who scam others into losing their items or money.
    "Noob" has frequently been written in different forms. Because of the proximity of the "j" key to the "n" key, players in online games often typed "j00b" or "joob" by accident, and the recent proliferation of "nub" has often turned into "jub". Though neither "joob" or "jub" have any meaning, their connection with "noob" makes the two words equivalent. "B00b" and "m00b" sometimes appear in a similar manner ("b" and "m" are right beside "n" in a standard computer keyboard). This is quite similar to the origin of the internet terminology "pwned". According to the most popular theory on the origins of "pwned", it originated from owned when an anonymous gamer made a typing error by pressing the "p" key which is located to the right of the "o" key on a standard computer keyboard. Note that there are alternate theories of "pwned"'s origin. See PWN for more details

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noob

Lrn2Google NOOB

Originally Posted by Dennis
    who cares?
    Oh... true. Ignore this post.
    Last edited by lag; 04-06-2007 at 07:49 PM.

Marlo was here || idusy was here cause he feels left out || Im in ur sig , shardin ur letters - Flying Piggy || Errage was here- Wait, what? || ''Edge was here'' imo =P || Dragonshadow's name makes this too long |2d is hot|

I8l33t's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What can I say? I know what a noob is... I also know the background of the typo Pwn... Well I just wasen't sure about Newb could come from same word as noob.. w/e

Enfeebleness's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    2/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newb = new at a game
    Noob = God dang, stop sucking so much.

I summed up lag's block of text.

kelat's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20060823

and enfeebleness summed it up well

idusy-org's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is some interesting stuff about the word(s) I'll throw in for no reason.

"Newb" comes from the word "Newbie" meaning new person, or commonly player. Must pronounce this how it looks but it's actually pronounced "New-b" just like the original word. Same is for "Noob"("Noo-b") and "Nub"("Nu-b").

I don't know if that's actully true or not, but I read it someplace on teh intarwebz...

lag's Avatar The ERP Chicken
    Thanks G/R
    5/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Enfeebleness
    I summed up lag's block of text.
    How dare you summarize my copy and paste! I thought we were best friends forever feeby!!!!!!

Ok I feel better, but only because you talk so much trash about [you] in flash chat.

New code FTW!

Marlo was here || idusy was here cause he feels left out || Im in ur sig , shardin ur letters - Flying Piggy || Errage was here- Wait, what? || ''Edge was here'' imo =P || Dragonshadow's name makes this too long |2d is hot|

xps980's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by idusy
    This is some interesting stuff about the word(s) I'll throw in for no reason.

"Newb" comes from the word "Newbie" meaning new person, or commonly player. Must pronounce this how it looks but it's actually pronounced "New-b" just like the original word. Same is for "Noob"("Noo-b") and "Nub"("Nu-b").

I don't know if that's actully true or not, but I read it someplace on teh intarwebz...
    yeah ive thought the same thing, that newbie was the orignal word, then it got shortened to newb. then hip young teen-agers came along and realized, lets make somthing cool out of this situation. So, they were like, i dont know what this old people stuff is, i think it is n00b, and that started a revolution. Then came the l33t speakers, who changed own to pwn. Now, people think that pwn means pawn or pone, but infact, it is a common miss-spelling of the word, own. years down the road, people like the creator of this thread ask questions that are common misconceptions of reality.
    and thus ends my long un educational lesson about the word " Noob. "
    Thank you thank you just push the + rep button on your way out. :woot2: ( lol , just kidding )
    emag eht tsol tsuj evah uoY

Demonicmaster's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: .

Originally Posted by I8l33t
    What can I say? I know what a noob is... I also know the background of the typo Pwn... Well I just wasen't sure about Newb could come from same word as noob.. w/e
    Upon traveling to Wikipedia for 'pwn' I came across this in the related articles section at the bottom of the page and thought fit to share it here.
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...leetspeak.mspx
    then for further reading
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...ingonline.mspx

I can't believe Microsoft wrote those up.