SW:TOR Emu Server Suggestion menu

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    #ClumsyWizard's Avatar Contributor The Clumsiest of Wizards CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    3/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SW:TOR Emu Server Suggestion

My suggestion is to currently focus on and attempt to make a Sandbox rather than a full on working Private server. If the current team of people is working on a full on fully working partially functional private server program, I'd rather not recommend it until the game is released.

Just release a sandbox like the russians have done for the Alpha versions of WoW that have been released, including their expansions.

I'm not saying it's easy, but I'm trying to focus attention over to a Sandbox rather than a full private server set of tools and programs.

Thoughts? Agreements? Disagreements? Think I'm blantantly making posts for the Raffle?

SW:TOR Emu Server Suggestion
    JoeThePlumber's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    5/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not gonna happen!

Sychotix's Avatar Moderator Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    285/572
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by JoeThePlumber View Post
    Not gonna happen!
    I wouldn't say "not going to happen," just because a sandbox is nothing more than something that tells the game that its alright to start loading all of the in-client stuff =P I would only say a "full emulator server" is not going to happen any time soon.

yamashi12's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, just need some packet dumps and someone's client

Thanks G/R
    3/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by JoeThePlumber View Post
    Not gonna happen!
    Yeah.. and thats what people like you said when Wrath and Cata clients were leaked, and guess what? It happened.

A sandbox server is like what Sychotix said, it's a basic server that tells the client to load everything client side so it's a big open spaceous world and not a fully operating server like people want.

The slow sandbox Emulation model might prove useful for SW:TOR. The only reason why people don't tend to start off on this route is because everyone is begging for open world fully operating Emus right off from the get go.

Is it not going to happen? No. It'll happen.

Is it going to take a while? Most Likely.

I'll throw myself out there and if anyone can come up with and construct a sandbox I'll happily help test it for compatibility and functionality.

I recommend for anyone already interested in compiling an Emulator for SW:TOR to start off at the basics with a Sandbox emulator instead of a fully operational 25000+ quest/items with fully changing world right from the start.

If someone could get a sandbox running and hopefully working soon I think we can get developers to start working on Emu servers while the game is still in beta.

Are the emulation servers going to be at launch? Most likely not, but starting now or soon with barebones minium emulation with a sandbox might get everyone interested and willing to make an Emulation Server/Software for SW:TOR.

Dr. Doom's Avatar Elite User

Thanks G/R
    4/7
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That'd be sick to see, is that how blizzard does it? Or do they have Hamachi (from what i've heard). I've never really understood emulation too much, but I'd be willing to help download files/etc to see this up and running. Whens the expected release of this game?

Thanks G/R
    3/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Dr. Doom View Post
    That'd be sick to see, is that how blizzard does it? Or do they have Hamachi (from what i've heard). I've never really understood emulation too much, but I'd be willing to help download files/etc to see this up and running. Whens the expected release of this game?
    Blizzard doesn't do it. I'm using WoW's various sandboxes as a reference, but Blizzard being involved can be used as a theory.

I don't understand Emulation much at all, but how Emulators get started is usually from a basic working sandbox program that does nothing but orders the client to boot up and render the world using queues from the simple server client.

Examples of this are Abyss, and the sandboxes released for BC and Wrath.

My point is if someone can get a basic sandbox constructed we'll have a rough paved road to actual Emulation servers and software around the time the game is released. The key is releasing the server software after launch and not during Beta to avoid catching attention from both Bioware and Electronic Arts.

So, if someone cranks out a sandbox then we can have people pick it up and work on the basic, and minute software to make a working emulation server.

BoogieManTM's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've started packet analysis already and am working on a sandbox. that's all it will ever be from me. I'm not interested in developing a full blown emulator. We'll see how far I get! It would really help to have some packet dumps from an official tester, but that's not very likely to happen.

Thanks G/R
    3/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by BoogieManTM View Post
    I've started packet analysis already and am working on a sandbox. that's all it will ever be from me. I'm not interested in developing a full blown emulator. We'll see how far I get! It would really help to have some packet dumps from an official tester, but that's not very likely to happen.
    I'll see if any of my friends are currently testing it so I can ask if they can get some packet dumps for it.

Overall I don't think that I'll be able to get some packet dumps for you, but I do appreciate the work to start a gateway for future Emulators through a Sandbox. I'll rep you massively when you release it.

Thanks G/R
    3/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by AfterDawn View Post

... No shit Sherlock? Ofc there will be a sandbox before someone makes a full emulator.
    Please keep the flaming to a minium, and think before you post.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it all honesty it is pretty obvious. sandbox is always the first step in development, besides maybe a good overall server framework.

lxhackdxl's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the sad part of having, or trying to make a SW:TOR emmu,, is the dialog. Its all kept server side because it changes the course or NPC reaction based upon what answers you give NPC's while questing. So the question aspect of SW:TOR.. is dead on an emu server. So my opinion is not bother trying to make a server at all...

will some one try? Of course they will. A Sandbox version of the game is about as far as your going to get for an emu server... at all... quote me on this, because i have a really strong feeling we wont ever see an emu for this game : /

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by lxhackdxl View Post
    the sad part of having, or trying to make a SW:TOR emmu,, is the dialog. Its all kept server side because it changes the course or NPC reaction based upon what answers you give NPC's while questing. So the question aspect of SW:TOR.. is dead on an emu server. So my opinion is not bother trying to make a server at all...

will some one try? Of course they will. A Sandbox version of the game is about as far as your going to get for an emu server... at all... quote me on this, because i have a really strong feeling we wont ever see an emu for this game : /
    This makes zero sense at all. Many things are server side on mmo's. almost everything. This is not new for SWTOR. It's always been like that as that is the only way to ensure the client is doing what it's supposed to, and not what the user wants it to do (ie, hacking it too easily.)

Dialog? You really thing that's going to stop an emulator? It's all database related once the generic implementation is done. Database work can be done by pretty much anyone (or farmed with a specific tool capturing the data as a player plays through the official game)

lxhackdxl's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if you had half a brain you would realize.. that the dialog.. is a major part of the game.. and if you actually payed attention to what the game does... it changes based on your actions... dialog changes.. based on your actions... did i say there wont be a server? no.. i said.. it will be a VERY long time.. if at all.. that there will be a functioning server and not just a sandbox version of the game... everything your cahracter does will be kept server side.. who in there right mind has enough space on a computer to hold that much information... it will be nearly impossible to recreate this aspect of the game.. wich.. is pretty much the whole game anyway.. so why bother?

Based on the latest news this past friday... this game is starting to look like "just another mmo".

will i play an EMUserver? Of course i will, if it ever happens.

a majority of mmo's have emu servers. the only game i can think of that has never had an emu is City of Heroes/Villians. And im starting to believe we most likely will never be able to see a SW:TOR emu

beans's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by lxhackdxl View Post
    well if you had half a brain you would realize.. that the dialog.. is a major part of the game.. and if you actually payed attention to what the game does... it changes based on your actions... dialog changes.. based on your actions... did i say there wont be a server? no.. i said.. it will be a VERY long time.. if at all.. that there will be a functioning server and not just a sandbox version of the game... everything your cahracter does will be kept server side.. who in there right mind has enough space on a computer to hold that much information... it will be nearly impossible to recreate this aspect of the game.. wich.. is pretty much the whole game anyway.. so why bother?

Based on the latest news this past friday... this game is starting to look like "just another mmo".

will i play an EMUserver? Of course i will, if it ever happens.

a majority of mmo's have emu servers. the only game i can think of that has never had an emu is City of Heroes/Villians. And im starting to believe we most likely will never be able to see a SW:TOR emu
    You probably don't really know *who* you just said had less than "half a brain" so I'll refrain from insulting you. I would be a bit careful if you care about backlash on public forums. There's a large contingent of folks that have a ton of respect for Boogieman and know what he can do (and what he has done). Put simply, if Boogieman offers an opinion on the EMU topic, you'd be best to button the mouth and listen up, you might learn something.
    Last edited by beans; 09-03-2011 at 06:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast