Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi the shortcut isnt working anymore i have to manually always shift click to launch as limited user

Run PoE as a limited user
    Slavort's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell me how to start POE Overlay now, it doesn’t want to start with the game now.

Sychotix's Avatar Moderator Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    285/572
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Slavort View Post
    Tell me how to start POE Overlay now, it doesn’t want to start with the game now.
    Make sure you are running PoE as the limited user. Your overlay should be started as administrator.

Slavort's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Sychotix View Post
    Make sure you are running PoE as the limited user. Your overlay should be started as administrator.
    Yes, right. What needs to be done to make POE Overlay run with the game? When the game is running, it does not display an overlay on top of the game, only a separate overlay window is launched. Sorry google translate.

Rocker866's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    13/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey guys im using this limited user trick since several years without any problems until today. I shift + right click and give my 2nd users information in i always get the error that either the username or the pw is wrong. Im using the same user same pw since several years i didnt forget the pw or so its all correct i even added a new user and stuff but still the same. Im so confused what can be the reason?! any ideas?

It works when i choose the option to start with an microsoft account for some reason.
    Is it safe to use that method with a microsoft account so basically the same or should i not do it?
    Last edited by Rocker866; 05-09-2023 at 06:56 AM.

HoriMori's Avatar Member Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have Win 11 and the game is on D: but it does not work.
    Script:
    SETLOCAL
    ECHO OFF
    SET run_as=C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe

REM Name of the local user account you are having launch the EXE
    SET local_user=USERNAME

REM Possible EXE names: PathOfExile.exe, PathOfExile_x64.exe, PathOfExileSteam.exe, PathOfExile_x64Steam.exe, PathOfExile_KG.exe, PathOfExile_x64_KG.exe
    SET exe_name=PathOfExile_x64.exe

REM You can launch the game with additional Parameters
    SET exe_params=--nologo --waitforpreload

REM Keep in mind because of strange reasons this one must have / instead of \
    SET exe_path=D:/Games/Path of Exiles/

REM Make sure to change this drive letter if not on C: drive
    CD D:
    TASKLIST /fi "IMAGENAME eq %exe_name%" 2>NUL | FIND /I /N "%exe_name%">NUL
    IF NOT "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" START %run_as% /user:%local_user% /savecred "cmd /D cd "%exe_path%" && Start /high %exe_name% %exe_params%"

After that only CMD console comes up and it says C:\Windows\System32\
    Not more.

fearsome67's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    15/78
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by AkaliSucks View Post
    hi the shortcut isnt working anymore i have to manually always shift click to launch as limited user
    Originally Posted by Rocker866 View Post
    Hey guys im using this limited user trick since several years without any problems until today. I shift + right click and give my 2nd users information in i always get the error that either the username or the pw is wrong. Im using the same user same pw since several years i didnt forget the pw or so its all correct i even added a new user and stuff but still the same. Im so confused what can be the reason?! any ideas?

It works when i choose the option to start with an microsoft account for some reason.
    Is it safe to use that method with a microsoft account so basically the same or should i not do it?
    Why, Microsoft, why?! So I've finally found the issue: cmd console just won't accept command to change working directory and uses system32 by default. In this case our limited user has no administrator permissions so poe.exe can't start in that location. Burn in hell cmd - we will use powershell instead! Here is the new "Object" line for a shortcut:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:temp /savecred "powershell -command cd E:/Games/PoE/;start Client.exe"
    Don't forget to change your path and username

8. Thanks Hydeo99S (1 members gave Thanks to fearsome67 for this useful post)
    Hydeo99S's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by fearsome67 View Post
    Why, Microsoft, why?! So I've finally found the issue: cmd console just won't accept command to change working directory and uses system32 by default. In this case our limited user has no administrator permissions so poe.exe can't start in that location. Burn in hell cmd - we will use powershell instead! Here is the new "Object" line for a shortcut:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:temp /savecred "powershell -command cd E:/Games/PoE/;start Client.exe"
    Thank you for sharing this friend, it worked wonderfully!

How can I make it, so it also executes AHK scripts and exes located in a folder, say E:\Games\Scripts ? like 1.ahk and 2.exe

EschatalogicalNinja's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Code:
    Do you know if you can add arguments to the client in this way? I tried with the above but powershell I think sees the arguments that you're trying to pass to PathOfExile as powershell arguments. I tried wrapping the start client.exe portion in both double and single quotes but no dice. For now it works if the arguments are omitted, I poked around online but I'm not sure what I'm searching for...

Thanks G/R
    15/78
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by EschatalogicalNinja View Post
    Do you know if you can add arguments to the client in this way? I tried with the above but powershell I think sees the arguments that you're trying to pass to PathOfExile as powershell arguments. I tried wrapping the start client.exe portion in both double and single quotes but no dice. For now it works if the arguments are omitted, I poked around online but I'm not sure what I'm searching for...
    You can try this line instead:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:temp /savecred "powershell -command cd E:/Games/PoE/;& E:/Games/PoE/Client.exe --nologo --waitforpreload"

Originally Posted by Hydeo99S View Post
    Thank you for sharing this friend, it worked wonderfully!

How can I make it, so it also executes AHK scripts and exes located in a folder, say E:\Games\Scripts ? like 1.ahk and 2.exe
    You can add more "start" sections separated by semicolons, like this:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:temp /savecred "powershell -command cd E:/Games/PoE/;start Client.exe;start E:/Games/PoE/Scripts/2.exe;start E:/Games/PoE/Scripts/1.ahk"
    Place path in single quotes after "start" command if there are spaces, i.e.:
    Code:
    start 'E:\Games\PoB\Path of Building.exe'
    You can also use the ampersand command for parameters, but it has to be the last command in the sequence, since everything after "&" is considered as the one line:
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:temp /savecred "powershell -command cd E:/Games/PoE/;start E:/Games/PoE/Scripts/2.exe;start E:/Games/PoE/Scripts/1.ahk;& E:/Games/PoE/Client.exe --nologo --waitforpreload"
    Last edited by fearsome67; 08-13-2023 at 09:48 AM.

c4gRi's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    6/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can anyone help me pls? i dont know what happened, but my game wont save the settings if i do limited user method. it creates then some fucking chinese folder in the Path of Exile Folder everytime i use the method. i tried everything, dont want to reinstall my pc. thanks so much

https://imgur.com/ljCnxyi

damnket0's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the shortcut is working for me, but only asked for password the first time i used, is that correct?

Thanks G/R
    15/78
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by c4gRi View Post
    can anyone help me pls? i dont know what happened, but my game wont save the settings if i do limited user method. it creates then some fucking chinese folder in the Path of Exile Folder everytime i use the method. i tried everything, dont want to reinstall my pc. thanks so much

https://imgur.com/ljCnxyi
    Try to delete current limited user from the system and create new with different name.

Originally Posted by damnket0 View Post
    the shortcut is working for me, but only asked for password the first time i used, is that correct?
    Yup, that's how it should work

damnket0's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to delete current limited user from the system and create new with different name.

Yup, that's how it should work
    Ok, thank you.

Laiq's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've tried everything and cant get this to work at all, nothing comes up when i try to run the shortcut or the bat file.

Shortcut: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe /user:Fisk /savecred "cmd /C cd "D:/Poe/" && PathOfExile_x64.exe"

Bat: SETLOCAL
    ECHO OFF
    SET run_as=C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe

REM Name of the local user account you are having launch the EXE
    SET local_user=Fisk

REM Possible EXE names: PathOfExile.exe, PathOfExile_x64.exe, PathOfExileSteam.exe, PathOfExile_x64Steam.exe, PathOfExile_KG.exe, PathOfExile_x64_KG.exe
    SET exe_name=PathOfExile_x64.exe

REM You can launch the game with additional Parameters
    SET exe_params=

REM Keep in mind because of strange reasons this one must have / instead of \
    SET exe_path=D:/Poe/
    REM Make sure to change this drive letter if not on C: drive
    CD D:
    TASKLIST /fi "IMAGENAME eq %exe_name%" 2>NUL | FIND /I /N "%exe_name%">NUL
    IF NOT "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" START %run_as% /user:%local_user% /savecred "cmd /C cd "%exe_path%" && Start /high %exe_name% %exe_params%"

What am i doing wrong? I have win 10 22h2