0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by 12345name View Post
    Red would you want to give it a try? I'm not really sure if I could manage to do that. I'm pretty much a beginner. Was trying to install Wine earlier which could be another solution but I can't make terminal work ^_^
    talking about the ifconfig way.

Mac Can't Log In D3 Beta Please help!!
    ThatRed's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already tried it and it did not work, but I am not sure if I did the right thing:

The following command will add an alias to the loopback adapter:

sudo ifconfig lo0 alias 12.129.236.246

If you want to remove it, use this command:

sudo ifconfig lo0 -alias 12.129.236.246

I can ping it and I think that the annoying multiple openings of the battle.net website stopped (not sure...) But I get the same log output as 12345name ://

12345name's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >.< I might just install windows, I am facing difficulties installing wine as well.. Everything goes bad right when it shouldn't.

Windows 7 > XP ?
    Last edited by 12345name; 03-30-2012 at 12:36 PM.

wetwlly's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    need more people to test the ifconfig stuff haha, unknown if it works. see if theres another mac program like microsoft loopback adapter for windows

From D3inferno:

I don't know how this Apple thing works, but note that routing the Blizzard server's IP address to your localhost is not enough. If you do that, you will still get "destination unknown" errors returned by your local machine. You also need to have an adapter that will accept traffic for that IP address.
    So we need to make sure ifconfig or another mac program can do exactly like loopback adapter and accept traffic.
    Last edited by wetwlly; 03-30-2012 at 12:38 PM.

ThatRed's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want to try Wine? I am not sure if that is the right approach, I don't think Diablo 3 would work with it. Even a virtual machine is to slow, it is better to use Bootcamp and Windows 7.

What do you mean exactly with "I can't make terminal work ^_^"?

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ThatRed View Post
    You want to try Wine? I am not sure if that is the right approach, I don't think Diablo 3 would work with it. Even a virtual machine is to slow, it is better to use Bootcamp and Windows 7.

What do you mean exactly with "I can't make terminal work ^_^"?
    1. Installing Wine on Mac OS X

Wine is different. When any program runs, it requests resources like memory and disk space from the operating system. All that Wine does is make sure that those requests get answered so that the program can run correctly. As far as the program knows, everything is going smoothly because it has everything it needs. It never even realizes that it's not running on Windows! It's simpler than emulating a whole new computer, so it's faster. Since it's just translating requests, you don't need a copy of the actual Windows operating system. Plus, Wine is open source, which means people are continually improving it and adding new features.

The only problem is that it's not known yet if it will work. I have to install first wine and then go to a lounge where I can download diablo 3 again for windows (can I use the one for mac? I think I've seen a diablo 3.exe in the folder - if it is and I can access that with wine it would very useful as I won't loose that much time and I won't have to move around that much).

2. This is the screenshot with what I am saying about the terminal not working. I think I'm not logged in and I don't know how to do it.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7...20330at184.png

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by wetwlly View Post
    need more people to test the ifconfig stuff haha, unknown if it works. see if theres another mac program like microsoft loopback adapter for windows

From D3inferno:

So we need to make sure ifconfig or another mac program can do exactly like loopback adapter and accept traffic.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Apparently ifconfig is the one. So I can't understand why it is not working. Then again I did not do it myself. Red would it be too much to ask for a thorough tutorial on how to use ifconfig for doing what u just did on yours?

ifconfig:
    https://developer.apple.com/library/...fconfig.8.html

ThatRed's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just open Terminal and copy/paste sudo ifconfig lo0 alias 12.129.236.246 (and then press the return key

I found the same pages you mentioned, but I have no idea what if have done wrong. I attached the IP address to the loopback adapter and even tried the wireless adapter. No success...

Still trying to understand how the loopback adapter works. When I ping it I cause network traffic and get an answer, so it should work. Damn!

@wetwlly: Have you tested it under Windows 7?
    Last edited by ThatRed; 03-30-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made terminal work by restarting :]. WineBottler is not working, I tried it. I can't install the other type of Wine software.

wetwlly's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ThatRed View Post
    Just open Terminal and copy/paste sudo ifconfig lo0 alias 12.129.236.246 (and then press the return key

I found the same pages you mentioned, but I have no idea what if have done wrong. I attached the IP address to the loopback adapter and even tried the wireless adapter. No success...

Still trying to understand how the loopback adapter works. When I ping it I cause network traffic and get an answer, so it should work. Damn!

@wetwlly: Have you tested it under Windows 7?
    I didnt test loopback adapter, but the information came from a developer who figured out you could bypass the thumbprint this way.

ThatRed's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried it immediately after I read it there . Could you please test it? So that we can be sure it works? You just need to re-replace the battlenet dll and install the loopback adapter. I can provide information how to do that if you need.

By the way, I tried to register to the forum there, but never got the reply mail. So I burned two usernames and mail addresses. Can you help? I send you the names via p.m.

@12345name: I can't really help you with wine, have you considered bootcamp or is that completely out of the question?
    Last edited by ThatRed; 03-31-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Relican's Avatar Elite User Creepy in a good way CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    49/57
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A wine repack is going to be awful for running D3, or anything for that matter--If you even get it working; The same can be said for crossover. Your chances of private servers for things like D3 ever working on a mac are slim to none. Honestly, invest in Parallels or just go straight to Bootcamp... I recommend the latter for performance; something you want while gaming. As a mac user myself, I see your frustration, and honestly haven't read beyond the first 4-5 posts, but I can already tell you this is not going to go anywhere and you'd have better luck reverse engineering (I believe is the proper term) D3 yourself for a mac client (which would still be a PITA).

To be quite frank, as thatRed said above, try bootcamp, and if that's out of the question, I'd say you're SOL.
    You can easily find legal and free copies of beta Windows. I use Windows 7, and I believe that Windows 8 is in free-beta right now; if cost is what concerns you, download & save that to a disk for bootcamp (Which came with your mac)--Google how to set that up if you're unfamiliar.

This should go without saying but many many many computer programs won't be mac native clients, and as a gamer, you NEED to find an alternative to access features, programs, etc. such as mooege on a mac. The medium to do so is entirely up to you, but Wine is awful in my experience, Crossover has never satisfied me and is basically just a cleaner wine repacker, and Parallels does not compete in terms of performance. Bootcamp, or get a PC for this kind of thing; considering how minute the audience is for mac vs pc clients, however fast it's growing in favour of mac, you're not going to see things like this available on a mac for a while unless the developer of it is also a mac user (In which case it would probably only be mac software, as these generally aren't megacorporations that can afford to do both).

I don't mean to sound like an ass, I'm just being honest with you here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12