• World of Warcraft: The Dark Below - Hoax or not?

Few days have passed since the whole The Dark Below World of Warcraft expansion controversy. For those of you who haven't been active around here, let me briefly explain it.
    On the 13th of this month, 4 days ago, all gaming sites and portals have been filled up with Blizzard's application for a new trademark, called "The Dark Below". The inducement of this whole controversy was a trademark application filled with Blizzard's info, such as office, phone number, lawyer and whatnot. Some time later, another alleged registered Blizzard's trademark popped out of nowhere, called Corgis Unleashed. At this time, obviously, most of the sane minds inferred that this was just an application for the trademark, not an official confirmation from the trademark office. After all of this controversy, shamed writers of various gaming sites apologized to their users and moved on.

However, moments ago, former WoWPlus developer and a contributor here on the site, Master674 shared a really interesting picture with us through the shoutbox;

Is this just another fan-made hoax or a real thing leaked by some Blizzard employee, it's up to you to decide. Leave your thoughts in the comments below.
    Comments 26 Comments
      Master674 -
      I was not the one who found that picture. Was taken from mmo-champion.com
      Thunderofnl -
      I hope it's a Hoax... I don't like the name. It doesn't sound right World of Warcraft: The Dark Below....
      Saltychip -
      you guys see the eye behind the "world"
      MyNewName -
      I am going to say that it is 90 percent likely to be the wow expansion. Since, and I quote from wowwiki:

"Likely eliminating Diablo 3 from the running for using the name "The Dark Below", Blizzard launched a minimalist teaser site for Diablo 3 called "Reaper of Souls",[3] and the background image is called d3x_teaser-en-us.jpg."

So if Reaper of Souls pic is named "d3x_teaser-en-us.jpg" then that will most likely be the new D3 expac. Leaving Wow to be "The Dark Below" Also taking into consideration that the Ozumat title " Fiend of Dark Below" the chances are again raised.

The only other thing I can think is if they are announcing the new game. But I think that unlikely. I mean who would want to play "The Dark Below" lol...
      Maccer -
      Quote Originally Posted by Master674 View Post
      I was not the one who found that picture. Was taken from mmo-champion.com
      I never said you found it.
      Master674 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maccer View Post
      I'm just pointing it out :P
      Toldorn -
      Quote Originally Posted by Maccer View Post
      you implied he had - a good author gives credit where credits are due...
      Sarick -
      https://i.imgur.com/l2Zee1e.jpg Findings so far.
      Maccer -
      Quote Originally Posted by BlackBook View Post
      you implied he had - a good author gives credit where credits are due...
      shared a really interesting picture
      Where is the part where I'm implying he found it?
      DavidTwo2009 -
      It's a fake logo. As we've argued on MMO-Champion for the past few days, this logo /is/ fake, because originally, it was posted and shown to us as "The Darkness Below", before whoever made it changed it and made it say "The Dark Below", which can prove to be a little fishy.

As for 'The Dark Below' name itself, it was also registered/filed/whatever in Europe, by the same people who have filed previous WoW Expansions and the Diablo 3 Expansion name. You can only register in Europe through lawyers, and with the addition of 900 Euros. So that may or may not have been proven to be fake. I think 'The Dark Below' is real though.
      _DecpticoN_ -
      Don't take this the wrong way but your article writing could use a little work, your word choice sometimes is just a little, odd. However I have a feeling from reading your articles that English is not your first language, so take no offense, just offering a suggestion
      drm420 -
      They got the same *******s on MMO-champ who post their own shitty fan art for expacs that will never happen. Same guy did like 4 bs threads .

Rise of the legion
      the Dark Below
      Emerald Dream
      5.5 Sky sunder-er
      Guy posts under aliases but you can tell because it is the same art work every time.with just a little changed to it. Along with a lengthy chunk of bs about new race and classes.
      drm420 -
      and just to sink this ship Search ninja part 3: How to find unlisted YouTube videos with Google | ZDNet that picture is from the official wow channel and you can use this to see that wow's channel has no unlisted videos =/
      joostvanpoppel -
      The Dark Below, they probably trademarked Mike Morhaimes' anus?
      xRaBBiTx -
      Clearly not a blizzard quality logo. What sells it for me is the eye where the world usually is, and the background behind The Dark Below, Looks like barely-intermediate photoshop skills.
      MyNewName -
      I agree that the logo is crap. The video is crap. The photo is crap. But the expac itself seems legit.
      Strath -
      It's super easy to fake a screenshot like that, BUT I just wanted to throw out there that the original file on imgur.com has been removed.

Took me about 10 minutes to get this done just using microsoft paint: (for the image, just edited the html for the rest)

https://i.imgur.com/yrthg35.jpg
      drm420 -
      Quote Originally Posted by strath2121 View Post
      It's super easy to fake a screenshot like that, BUT I just wanted to throw out there that the original file on imgur.com has been removed.
      probably did not want to be shamed when we start linking it with who made it.
      drm420 -
      Quote Originally Posted by strath2121 View Post

Took me about 10 minutes to get this done just using microsoft paint: (for the image, just edited the html for the rest)

https://i.imgur.com/yrthg35.jpg
      two possible reasons they removed the image if they they are done trying to hoax people. Or they just read the fine print which says impersonating a business is a federal offense in the United states as well as illegal in europe on the copy writing site. No doubt they were sloppy and submitted while not behind a proxy or vpn