0/9
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automation using G series keyboards

This is a small guide to show the automating power of the G Series (G15, G19, G510, etc etc) Keyboards,and to a similar but not fully covered extent, the Razer keyboards. We will be using the software that comes with the G series keyboards from logitech, "key profiler". In the 6 years i've had my G series, i have never once heard of or seen a ban or suspension for using this method, but it is against blizzard TOS, so use at your own risk.

First, we will go over the uses of these awesome keyboards and why the are the absolute best tool for any gamer. I will focus only on WoW aspects, since this is an MMO based forum.
    1) Auto-Milling, Auto-Prospecting
    2) Automated rotations
    3) Auto opening and logging into WoW
    4) Beautiful and simple interface for beginners
    5) 3 different profiles of up to 18 different functions/macros/etc
    6) On-keyboard screen displaying all the stats from the character pane (useful for raiding to watch procs and buffs without having to open a window, admit it, you're playing wow, you're already lazy )

1 - Auto-Milling/Auto-Prospecting

Ill start by saying that milling 400 stacks of herbs by hand is absolutely no fun, and auto-its and key spammers arent my cup of tea.
    To automate the milling process, you will use a macro similar to:

Code:
    #showtooltip Milling
    /cast Milling
    /use Icethorn
    /use Swiftthistle
    /use Tiger Lily
    /use blahblahblah

The thing about this macro is that if there is a broken stack (<5) of swifthistle, it wont mill, and it wont skip, but rather give you the error saying it cant mill taht quantity. how do you avoid this? buy even stacks! or save the off sizes you buy in your bank until they make a full 5 stack and then mill them later.
    The same steps hold true to prospecting as well, the macro will look like so:

Code:
    #showtooltip Prospecting
    /cast Prospecting
    /use Obsidium Ore
    /use Elementium Ore
    /use Pyrite Ore

the same stack rule applies. buy whole stacks or make sure you dont have broken stacks in your inventory.

Now to set up the Key Profiler to do it all for you!

First set your newly created macro on your action bar (mine is on number 4). Open the logitech software called "key profiler". Select World of Warcraft as the main profile from the menu. Now you will see a bunch of buttons in the same layout as the keyboard. Pick a G key (I use G12, closest to my pinky, im lazy), go up to assign macro > Edit macro. from here you can either create a new macro or just scratch a different macro on the long list.

after you do the above, check the "record delays" box on the right.
    Press the button to begin recording. (for this example i will use milling and the actionbar 1 key 4, dont mind my delay, it was just quick for example SS)

Press 1, then 1 again, then stop.
    you will see

Code:
     (DOWN) 1
    .020sec delay
    (UP) 1
    1.75sec delay (THIS DEPENDS ON YOUR MS, HIGHER MS, HIGH DELAY FOR LOOTING AND CAST TIMER)
    (DOWN) 1
    .020sec delay
    (UP) 1
    1.75sec delay (change this to whatever your other delay was)

In-game, take your newly created macro and place it on the actionbar 1 key 1 (or whatever you chose), and hit whichever G key you bound to (G12 here). tada, you are now a milling machine!
    For prospecting, simply change the macro from above and change the delay (prospecting has a higher cast time), or make a new key, you have a ton of them!

2 - Automated Rotations
    one of the best parts of the keyboard is being able to hit one key and watching your character bash somethings face in without touching another button. it comes in great use for boring dailies like the crocs in TB, molten front mobs, and other repetitive grinding quests (or just grinding!). Again, we will start by opening the Key Profiler and choose World of Warcraft profile. I used button G9 for this, as it is also close to me.

The same recording steps are used, but timing is much more important (and knowing your lag-time). as you can see from my recording, i will be using:

Code:
    5 - 1.6 sec delay - unleash elements
    1 - 1.2 sec delay - flame shock
    4 - 1.5 sec delay - lava lash
    2 - 2.5 sec delay - stormstrike
    3 - earthshock

That is it, just make sure your keystrokes match your spells on your bars, and one button rotations

3 - Auto Open and login to WoW

This part will allow you to hit a total of two buttons to login to your wow account.
    The first step is to select from the Current Profile dropdown: Default Configuration.
    Now select whatever key you want to bind it to, and then select "assign shortcut". Your screen will look like this:

now, name it open wow, or wow, whatever you want, and then find the path to your WOW.EXE (IMPORTANT). if you use launcher.exe, it will open open the launcher and that will leave you stuck. the path should look like: "D:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe". Click ok.
    Now go back to the World of Warcraft profile, select a key, and make a new macro for your user/password by hitting record and typing your credentials.
    SO! now, while having wow closed, press your new shortcut key to launch wow, and when the login screen loads, press your next macro key with your login credentials (dont forget to have enter key at the end of your password). TADA!

I hope this sparked ideas of other (fun > ) stuff you can automate in game guys, possibilities are huge!
    first tutorial so feedback is welcome
    Last edited by nerfmeplease; 07-03-2012 at 04:40 AM.

Automation using G series keyboards
  2. Thanks hackerlol (1 members gave Thanks to nerfmeplease for this useful post)
    Villadsen's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a G15 myself, will try this out.

wac's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like being the guy that says this, but this is common sense imo. This is the sole reason I got a G15 myself.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOM!

Sklug's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    209/221
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by wac View Post
    I don't like being the guy that says this, but this is common sense imo. This is the sole reason I got a G15 myself.
    Well ya common sense for many, but still a useful guide for the many that don't know how to fully take advantage of the G class keyboards. This is a pretty solid guide, and though I have seen some tutorials for this exact thing in the past, this guy did a great job making his very clear and understandable and overall just a good contribution. You would actually be surprised how many people buy those keyboards cause they hear it's a gaming keyboard, but at the end of the day know nothing about how to take advantage of it.

I use a Nostromo N52 device for my left hand and it has similiar functions, but I didn't even realize how to take full advantage of it for at least a year after I bought it. Overall I'd say the G15 is better though... Good guide +rep

nerfmeplease's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/9
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im sorry you took the time to click the thread which was clearly labeled as something you already knew.

acekicker's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the guide, i recently picked up a G series and found this, works like a charm +rep

Unholyshaman's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I'm going to have to disagree with you here. What people seem to consider "common sense" these days really peeves me off because they clearly don't actually understand what the word means.

Regardless, let's assume using the G Series keyboard to automate was common sense. Fine: "Guys you can use the G Series keyboard to automate" is common sense. An actual guide on HOW to do it is not.

I don't own a keyboard like this. So do I know how to automate it? NO.

So please, metaphorically look me in the eye and tell me again that you RATIONALLY believe this is common sense.
    Last edited by Unholyshaman; 10-04-2012 at 02:30 PM.

paranoia69's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use this every day for Inscription, Enchanting and Jewelcrafting, never got any trouble with blizz
    Use it also for farming mob (groups), where I can stand on the same place and mass loot with a simple /target x /cast y macro

G13 Gamepad

But common sense, it´s very easy to set up anything with the logitech software :d

nerfmeplease's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/9
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by paranoia69 View Post
    Use this every day for Inscription, Enchanting and Jewelcrafting, never got any trouble with blizz
    Use it also for farming mob (groups), where I can stand on the same place and mass loot with a simple /target x /cast y macro

G13 Gamepad

But common sense, it´s very easy to set up anything with the logitech software :d
    good point about the mob killing, i used to use it for the same thing on my leveling characters so i could just hit 1 button and it would do the full rotation for me while im watching tv

also, for anyone on a high pop server, you can use this to stay logged in for no queue > .

xxsamxx86's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    28/2
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the keyboard have thought about it but wouldnt know where to start im not so tech friendly lol This is a great guide and just swayed me to get one +Rep

comradezucchini's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to try something similar with Xpadder and a Xbox 360 controller. Xpadder allows you to create macros which will execute multiple key entries, and do the whole press one key and watch your character bash someone's face in with multiple attacks thing. How likely is blizzard to catch you?

bookclub's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great thread for me as complete novice with a G105 Thanks +rep

Laurenz1337's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    2/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will give it a try with my G510, but first I have to unintall the shitty Logitech Gaming Software Suite and intall the classic tool!

Phantons's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look at this over 1 year old thread necromancing.