0 Thread(s)

Utgarde Keep Instance Guide

I. General Overview
    II. Difficulty and Level Range
    III. Quests
    IV. Bosses & Strategy

--------------------------------------------------
    I. General Overview

Utgarde Keep is similar to hellfire peninsula in the aspect as when blizzard made it, it was intended for players who are just entering northrend, to reflect that, it's drops are low to mediocre to people who have been raiding before wotlk, for that reason, there's no real reason for people who have been raiding to do this instance, except for players who like a different change of pace from the seemingly endless chain of quests, or for players who like a little extra experience.

II. Difficulty and Level Range

This instance is, to me, quite harder then The Nexus, for the reason that the mobs and bosses hit harder, especially the last boss. To do this instance you are definitely going to have a decent group.

III. Quests

Alliance:
    Disarmament - Disarmament - Quest - World of Warcraft
    Into Utgarde! - Into Utgarde! - Quest - World of Warcraft

Horde:
    A Score to Settle - A Score to Settle - Quest - World of Warcraft
    Disarmament - Disarmament - Quest - World of Warcraft
    Ingvar Must Die! - Ingvar Must Die! - Quest - World of Warcraft

IV. Bosses & Strategy

Prince Keleseth:

I consider this guy the second hardest guy in the instance, right after Injvar.

First of all, pull the four strategists away without pulling the prince, they shouldn't be hard to kill at all.

After this, you can then engage the Prince himself, he mostly uses shadowbolt, so its helpful to have a paladins shadow resistance aura or something similar. He will also periodically and randomly cast ice tomb on a player, It is recommended for humans to racial out of it, mages to blink out, and paladins to bubble out if necessary, if none of this is possible your party members can simply destroy it, they only has around 5000 health.

Lastly, he will summon 5 skeletons and revive them many times during the fight, they seem to like to go to the healer, so try to destroy them quickly.

Other then that, hes a tank-n-spank.

Skarvald and Dalronn

This fight is especially hard for the healer since they have to heal many different targets at a time.

Skarvald is going to be charge random players while Dalronn shadowbolts random players. After one dies, it will turn into a ghost form which is invincible but has the exact same skills and maybe a little bit stronger, this is especially hard since it will be impossible for the tank to hold aggro on the ghost as its not targetable.

There are two different ways to do this bossfight, the first is to try to do equal dps to both, so they both die at close to the same time, this is the harder but more efficient choice. The second choice, is the obvious one, kill one, then kill the other, nothing more then that.

Ingvar

This guy hits hard and fast, and not only that, after he dies, he comes back and hits even harder and faster, you're going to want to put the tank and a plate wearer in front of him to absorb the cleave, the healer and any ranged dps will want to stay back to avoid getting hit with the roar he does which interrupts spell casting for 6 seconds (disastrous for the healer). Other then this try to get him down fast, and save your pots / cooldowns for the second phase.

After he dies, he gets revived and his attacks get stronger, his moves also turn into shadow attacks, so if you have a paladin, alert him to turn on shadow resistance. He has mostly the same attacks (except shadow now), so follow the same tactics, but he also gains 2 new spells. First he gets a debuff spell that applies the to tank, whenever the tank gets healed, it will deal around 2k damage to the healer, this quickly adds up and kills the healer unless you have somebody in the group to pass the healer a heal every once in a while, or someone to dispel the curse, secondly he throws an axe that will deal damage to everyone around him, you will want to quickly move away from it.

Well I hope you have fun doing this instance, and don't have one person alive when Ingvar dies.

-----------------------------------------

I'm also planning to release guides for all the instances that I encounter while leveling up through wotlk, so expect more guides from me.

Well, I tryed, guess since this is about to fall into the oblivion of page 2,with only about 60 views, I can give up on making the rest of the instance guides.
    Last edited by Smitts; 11-17-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Utgarde Keep Instance Guide