0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hunter's bag of dirty tricks

As of Patch 2.01 Arcane Shot and Aimed Shot are on separate timers. Previously you could not use arcane shot right after Aimed Shot; they were on the same cooldown.

Shooting on the Run

The Hunter can shoot most of his instant cast ranged abilities while running, including Hunter's Mark. If you have to chase a mob or enemy player as they are running away, keep this in mind. Particularly useful is using Concussive Shot to slow their getaway and then Arcane Shot to pick off a runner that you're having trouble keeping in range.

The Jump Shot

I read this one from the WoW community forums - I can't link there right now, because the search (and login) are broken as usual. This skill was developed by players of twitch games such as Quake and Unreal Tournament.

Basically, you can run faster than you can backpedal. So if a foe is closing on you, turn around and run away. Then pan the camera (you can't do this if you've got smart panning turned on). When you're looking at the foe that you're still running away from, jump and press the right mouse button - this will make you turn around to face the foe. Immediately after you start the jump, trigger your instant cast shot (usually concussive shot), then turn around to keep running away from the foe (I still can't get this right, but at least I'm usually running mostly away, and somewhat across). While in the air, you will continue moving in same direction that you were originally facing.

This skill takes a lot of practice - mostly in getting the mouse movement right. You can't use the keyboard to turn while in flight, because you just don't turn fast enough. You have to fling the mouse around a little, but not enough to start a 720 degree turn...

It helps to use autorun (cruise control? Num Lock) when doing jump shots. Then your hands will be doing three things - panning the camera, turning your movement/firing direction, and firing instant cast shots. The first two are done by the same hand with the same buttons (left button to pan, right button to turn).

Note that you don't have to actually be facing the foe when you fire, so you can start turning before the shot is fired, just as long as the foe is within your 118 degree firing arc.

The jump shot is only suitable for situations where you can run through empty territory. Otherwise you're going to experience multiple adds.

I have practiced this in another way without the pre look. I have learned how much to pop the mouse around to get me turned enough to squeeze off the shot. i.e. target the mob, run away, jump, move mouse, shoot (arcane shot), move mouse back around to original heading more or less, keep running. Auto run is very handy for this. I think the correct mouse motion can be practiced. This can be executed very quickly and with almost no setup.

Another method is to do a complete circle in the air and fire at around the 180 degree mark. This is something that can be practiced best on a mob that doesn't link or aggro, like the various Striders around Cross Roads in the Barrens. If you play on a PVP server this will keep you alive moreso than anything else you can learn. After some experimenting it seems easier to do if Aspect of Cheetah or Aspect of Pack are activated.

The Strafe Shot

This one from the Wow community forums too. Ditto the reason for not being able to link it.

You strafe (run sideways) as fast as you run. You can also shoot up to 89 degrees away from front and centre. So what you do is, turn to get the foe to your left or right, then strafe in the opposite direction. Release instant casts at whim.

I find that this works best when you don't have smart panning turned on (ie: you want to camera to stay pointed where you point it, regardless of which direction you're facing or running).

You cannot use autorun when doing strafe shots, so your hands are doing four things, namely: strafing, panning the camera, turning to keep the enemy within your firing arc, and firing instant cast shots. However, the strafe shot doesn't require the precision mousing essential for the jump shot - it's possible to strafe without using the mouse, as long as you don't need to be looking at the foe to target them.

As per the jump shot, the strafe shot is only suitable for situations where you can run through empty territory.

The strafe shot is useful for getting a mob to turn back around - strafe shot the foe while running through your tank, for example.

Battlegrounds

For the Eye of the Storm battleground, frost trap is a must. On the tight passageways one well-placed frost trap can effectively cripple an enemy advance.

----(please leave the copyright info below intact)----
    This post is copyright by the user posting it and MMOwned.com - World of Warcraft Exploits,Hacks, Bots and Guides, where it was posted. You may not copy or reproduce the above on any other site without written permission from both the poster and MMOwned.com

The Hunter's bag of dirty tricks
    Gnomeown's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The Hunter's bag of dirty tricks

nice , +rep if u get some ss with u getting air :P
    BLEEDING EYES6):

Avianar47's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i actually find using a jump shot is easier if i strafe sideways like the strafe shot, thats Q or E on a US PC (i dont know 1 thing about macs, or if PCs are different in other countries) unless you change it for a key binding. while running sideways just jump using your thumb on the space bar and use the right mouse button to turn around fast, shoot, then turn back around. or at least thats the way i do it, and havnt had a problem with it.

masterpoo's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah strafe is the best way to consistently kite and jump shot with ease wihtout having to do a full 180, you can sometimes just run and shoot without having to jump and turn.

Demonicmaster's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of these tricks you learn when you do your Hunter Epic quest. The Four demons you have to kill require you to kite them around without the aid of a party to also include your pet. I was an ok kiter running UBRS alot and kiting Drakk to the arena chamber. But I became even better when I had to kite Altouris from Winterspring from Frostsaber Rock along the road all the way down to the fork in the road in the middle of the map.

I am sorry to say these 'dirty tricks' are somewhat common knowledge to the more experienced Hunters. For new Hunters it is a good thing to get used to doing, because you can only get better the more you practice.

masterpoo's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a better dirty trick IMO

Farming is what a hunter is meant to do, they do not require much mana nor gear. So now that your hunter has found his farming spot, you may notice some mages warriors or whatever other class is attempting to farm the same things you're farming.

Thats your gold they are stealing. STEALING. So options:
    Windserpent pets are great for pulling and tagging as they can send a quick lightning bolt.
    Arcane shot or regular shot an untagged mob to your sides and lure it into an ice trap (IE coilskar cobras - 20g/scale = MINE).
    Constantly send your pet (ctl 1) after mobs around you that you may wan to tag.

So you're an herber or miner and theres some damn same faction person in the area? Pull every mob and their mom and run "over' that character - FD about 10-20 yds away from that character and desired node/herb.

Mobs will go straight for your friendly farmer who's taking your node!
    Simply go up to your desired node/herb and farm away - even /confused at the other person. This is a really great thing to do when you're clearing mobs to a spot and some jackass decides to go and take what you've been clearing up to.

One last note since this post mainly spreads info to new new hunters - first shot on a rogue serpent sting. Always (unless dwarf) and instead of using freezing traps (I see alot of hunters using these) frost traps are your best friend and probably the most annoying ability a hunter has.

Don't forget to feed your pet!

Demonicmaster's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by masterpoo
    Here's a better dirty trick IMO

Farming is what a hunter is meant to do, they do not require much mana nor gear. So now that your hunter has found his farming spot, you may notice some mages warriors or whatever other class is attempting to farm the same things you're farming.

Thats your gold they are stealing. STEALING. So options:
    Windserpent pets are great for pulling and tagging as they can send a quick lightning bolt.
    Arcane shot or regular shot an untagged mob to your sides and lure it into an ice trap (IE coilskar cobras - 20g/scale = MINE).
    Constantly send your pet (ctl 1) after mobs around you that you may wan to tag.

So you're an herber or miner and theres some damn same faction person in the area? Pull every mob and their mom and run "over' that character - FD about 10-20 yds away from that character and desired node/herb.

Mobs will go straight for your friendly farmer who's taking your node!
    Simply go up to your desired node/herb and farm away - even /confused at the other person. This is a really great thing to do when you're clearing mobs to a spot and some jackass decides to go and take what you've been clearing up to.

One last note since this post mainly spreads info to new new hunters - first shot on a rogue serpent sting. Always (unless dwarf) and instead of using freezing traps (I see alot of hunters using these) frost traps are your best friend and probably the most annoying ability a hunter has.

Don't forget to feed your pet!
    For this one GM's have been cracking down on 'training' that is what you are talking about and banning people for doing it. So use this technique at your own discretion.

Paladyn's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These "tricks" are basic stuff for any half-decent hunter..
    Trap-kiting one mob while kiting another normally and off-tanking a third is a trick.
    Another thing: Kiting does NOT require a lot of room.. just enough to run for ~15 seconds..
    1) Concuss-arcane to get the mob after you.
    2) RUN!
    3) When you reach the end of the room/corridor, jump-shot scattershot.
    4) Start running back where you came from.
    5) Repeat.

Add a freezing trap holding one mob at bay and your pet tanking a third.. Crowd-controlling three mobs - how many mages can do that for more than 5sec?
    The nicest thing about this is that the enemies' levels do not matter - you won't get hit if you do this right The only risk is your pet dying so it's a good thing to warn the party healer to toss him a HoT or fast heal once in a while..