0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Engineering for Dummys!

This is from the WoW fourms so I have no credit for this I am just sharing.

Rasmfrackn's Engineering FAQ v.1.05

Here is the Unofficial Engineering FAQ.
    Big thanks to Draznar for coordinating basically an entire forum's worth
    of information. I'm glad to contribute.

Questions, comments or suggestions can be put in a reply to this post.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

SECTION 1 - FAQ Information and References
    SECTION 2 - About Being an Engineer
    SECTION 3 - About The Act of Engineering
    SECTION 4 - About The Results of Engineering?
    SECTION 5 - About Advancing in Engineering?

1. FAQ INFORMATION AND REFERENCES

1.1 Where can I read the official details about Engineering?

Professions: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/professions/

Engineering: http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...gineering.html

1.2 What about "Unofficial" details?

Obviously, this FAQ.

A must read is Draznar’s Profession FAQ:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...1&tmp=1#post40

If you want to know specific levels, drop rates, etc then you should memorize these website addresses
    http://www.thottbot.com/
    http://wow.allakhazam.com/
    They are both highly searchable databases of all things WoW, and becoming familiar with how
    they operate is invaluable to finding your way around.

Hy has also created his own guide that deals with raising your engineering skill and choosing
    to become a Goblin or a Gnomish engineer.
    http://thecartel.org/Tradeskills/engi/intro.html

If you are doing Mining in conjunction with Engineering (and you should),
    you should check out Faltigoth’s Mining FAQ:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...tmp=1#post5998

I don't see any credits on the site, but someone has put together a profession compendium at:
    http://members.cox.net/katy-w/Trades/Home.htm
    This looks especially useful for comparing when schematics are learned and when they are no longer
    useful for skillups. (Shows skill it's learned at, when it turns green, and when it turns gray.)

1.3 I have additional information for this FAQ, how do I get it to you?

Please reply.

1.4 Can I repost your FAQ on my website, guild website, etc?

No. Permission to repost or redistribute this FAQ remains at the authors sole discretion.
    You may offer a link to this FAQ, however.

1.5 Website X would love to host your FAQ, interested?

No. Maintaining the FAQ in more then once place is rarely a good idea,
    and I'm bad enough at maintaining consistency within one document.

1.6 What’s the official link to this FAQ?

http://wow.toshimo.com/viewtopic.php?t=278

2. ABOUT BEING AN ENGINEER

2.1 What's good about Engineering?

Cool gadgets, explosives, basically things that provide unique effects otherwise impossible.

Items that can overcome some class shortfalls.

Can create goggles, a cloth headgear that gives nice bonus, and is rare at low character levels.

Impress your friends by doing the seemingly impossible!

A few items that can be produced for profit, mainly on commission.

2.2 What's not good about Engineering?

Most things are expensive to make.

Most gadgets can backfire on you, with a variety of effects.

After skill level 150, the leveling curve gets steeper.

Schematics for the more interesting items require a wide variety of components.

Most engineered items are only usable by engineers. This means that engineering is NOT a money-making profession.

2.3 What Profession type or category is Engineering?

Primary. It DOES count against your limit of two (2) Primary Professions.

Production.

2.4 How does Engineering work with the various classes?

Engineering is a unique profession in that it creates a wide variety of
    items with an array of effects. Whatever your class is, engineering will
    either play to its strengths or make up for its weaknesses.

2.5 What professions does Engineering match up with well?

BEST: Mining. I don't really see any other profession as a choice, though you're
    welcome to try. Basically every engineering schematic requires metal bars, mined stones,
    or both. This is the only option that doesn't involve huge amounts of buying and selling
    in the auction house to procure the needed metal and stone.

GOOD: I wouldn't place any profession in this category.

OKAY: Skinning, Herbalism. Engineering is money-intensive, so you'll need a lot of gold
    flowing in if you want to buy all of your materials. The other gathering skills allow you
    to sell all of your findings at auction to pay for the things you need.

EHH: Tailoring. As a profession without a gathering skill, you could possibly make money
    as a tailor to buy your materials, but I wouldn't recommend it.

POOR: Other Professions: Honestly, these don’t really work well with Engineering.
    3. ABOUT THE ACT OF ENGINEERING

3.1 I would like to learn Apprentice Engineering, who can train me?

Any Journeyman Engineering Trainer: Locate one and ask to be trained.

You may train Engineering starting at level 5. As with other production professions,
    the level requirements for the various levels of engineering are as follows:
    Apprentice: 5
    Journeyman: 10
    Expert: 20
    (Racial: 30)
    Artisan: 35

Engineering Trainer Locations: Most large cities have an Engineering Trainer. Ask a guard for directions.
    There are other trainers in the world as well. Refer to a site listed above such as thottbot.com
    for a listing and locations.

It will cost 5 copper to learn Apprentice Engineering. If you are in a city where you have a reputation
    of Honorable or better you will receive the standard honorable discout on your training.

3.2 How do I create an Engineering item?

1). You must know the Engineering Skill. Go to an Engineering trainer and get Apprentice Engineering.

2). Many Engineering schematics require you to be at an anvil with a blacksmith's hammer.
    Later recipes require other items such as an arclight spanner or gyromatic micro-adjustor; these
    are created with the engineering profession itself. They are not used up, and must simply be
    in your inventory. The same applies to the blacksmith hammer.

3). Open your spellbook by typing 'i' or 'p' or whatever you have it bound to, click on the general tab (the
    top one), and find the engineering icon. Click on it to open the profession window listing all the
    schematics you know.

4) Fulfill all the requirements of the schematic (listed next to the item description) such as being
    near an anvil and having and arclight spanner on hand, and have all the necessary materials. Click
    on create and wait for the progress bar to complete. You've just created an engineering item!

3.3 Where can I get the components I need for my items?

As I mentioned, most materials come from mining.

Engineering as a whole requires a wide variety of materials for the more esoteric schematics,
    though, so you will invariably find yourself purchasing some things. Become familiar with the
    auction house for your faction, and keep track of prices for items you might want to buy.

If you prefer, most materials can be obtained on your own. In this case, refer to one of the
    external web resources to learn where they can be found and how to get there. Using either
    thottbot.com or wow.allakhazam.com, you can refer to a schematic to see the components, click on
    a specific component, and receive more information about it.

One especially elusive piece of equipment is fused wiring. Certain mechanical enemies drop this, such
    as the ones in Gnomergan. You can also reclaim it from target dummies, which may or may not be more
    practical for you. After a target dummy expires or is destroyed, it leaves behind a "corpse" where you
    can reclaim some of the components used, and possibly also some fused wiring.

Arcanite bars are obtained from alchemists, and require 1 thorium bar and 1 arcane crystal to create.
    This transmutation has a cooldown of 2 days.

Enchanted thorium bars are obtained from enchanters. I'm not sure if they're used in any schematics yet.

Enchanted leather is also obtained from enchanters. I see this is required by some high-level schematics.

Dark iron is mined only in Blackrock Depths, a high-level instance. You may only learn to smelt it
    in that instance, and may only smelt and work it in that instance at the dark iron anvil. There is
    a trainer located there to train you. It takes 8 pieces of dark iron ore to make each bar.

3.4 Where can I get a Blacksmith's Hammer?

Trade Good Merchants: All Trade Good Merchants will sell a blacksmith's hammer. The price of a
    blacksmith's hammer runs about 82 copper, less if you get a honorable bonus in that city.

3.5 Where can I get an arclight spanner?

Later engineering schematics require you to have certain special tools on hand to make the item.
    These are created with the engineering profession itself, and are available to create at the time
    that the first schematic requires them.

3.6 Can my hammer or spanner be used as a weapon?

Yes, although they make poor choices. There is no durability associated with them,
    so they do not ever need to be repaired.

3.7 How long does it take to create an engineered item?

Generally about 3-5 seconds. Some more interesting schematics take longer, possibly to create
    a greater feeling of importance for the item.

3.8 Can I do anything while Engineering?

Limited things: Anything that can be done while channeling a spell or summoning a pet or opening
    a chest can be done while engineering. That is nothing that involves movement, casting a spell, or combat.

3.9 Can I be interrupted while Engineering?

Yes. Being attacked, moving, selling to a vendor, casting, or initiating combat will interrupt
    the engineering process.

3.10 Is there a level restriction on what I can make?

To an extent, yes. The basic level requirements for advancement place a restriction on which schematics
    you can learn, and therefore make. Also, the combat pets you can create with engineering have level
    requirements for their use. For example, a mechanical dragonling requires 200 engineering skill to
    use, but also requires level 30. The same applies to general-populace items such as guns.

3.11 Are there any UI Modifications for Engineering?

No, I have never seen any UI modifications specifically for engineering. There are, however, some mods
    that allow you to keep closer track of what profession components you have in your inventory. This is
    only marginally useful, since you can just check the schematic of whatever it is you'd like to make.
    Feel free to check out the UI forum for anything that looks useful.
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/bo...-customization
    4. ABOUT THE RESULTS OF ENGINEERING

4.1 What can I create with engineering?

Guns and scopes:. These are basically the only product you can sell to other players. These require
    gemstones in general, and so you should consider making them on commission only after a price has been
    agreed upon.

Explosives: Blowing stuff up is one of the core tenets of engineering. It's why I chose it. Bombs,
    mortars, explosive sheep, and so on provide a source of fire-based area damage. This is especially
    helpful if your class does not have an option for area damage.

Gear: Most of the equipment made by engineering is cloth, and so is usable by anyone. Engineers
    can create headgear much earlier than it can be found or created by other professions. The vast
    majority of engineering equipment requires engineering to use, so can't be made for others...
    unless they are engineers as well. Occasionally the requirement to use something is lower than the
    requirement to create it, but not by much.

Gadgets: This is the other reason to become an engineer. The various gadgets the profession
    creates allow engineers to gain many effects granted to other classes. This includes temporary
    combat pets, short-term invisibility, fall-rate reduction, enhanced run speed, and so on.

4.2 What happens when I use an engineering item?

Guns and scopes: Scopes can be applied to guns and bows to permanently increase their damage by
    a small amount. Guns and scopes are totally reliable and behave just like regular items.

Explosives: Activating an explosive involves a channeling bar, but this bar cannot be delayed
    like a spell. Most bombs take about 1.5 seconds to activate.

Gear: Equipped gear is generally cloth and usable by any engineer, but certain pieces are not. Gnomish
    engineers can create a belt that temporarily shields the wearer from damage, and this belt is
    considered leather. Likewise Goblin engineers can create a helmet that grants +5 to the mining skill,
    and this helmet is considered mail armor. More on Gnomish and Goblin engineering below. Engineered
    equipment tends to grant bonuses to either stamina or intellect, making it useful for everyone and
    especially useful for mana-based classes.

Gadgets: This is where the fun starts. Some engineered gadgets have a chance of doing something
    other than they should. Their descriptions usually say as much, but don't tell you exactly what else
    might happen. I don't believe combat pets or target dummies can malfunction, but for example the
    harm-prevention belt mentioned above has a chance of phasing the wearer out of reality for a short time
    instead of just stopping damage.

4.3 Can I sell my engineered items for fun and profit?

Generally no, as most items require the engineering skill to use. You could sell these to other
    engineers if you've found a rare schematic that others would want. In general, though, guns and scopes
    are the main selling items in the profession.

There are also certain quests that require engineering parts to complete, so keep your ears open.

4.4 Well, what CAN I sell?
    I'd like to list some items here that deserve special consideration. These have some interesting
    characteristic that makes them viable sell candidates.

Guns: Engineered guns have the potential to be the best damage for a given level range. Which guns
    are worth selling, and what level/price range are we talking? I've never sold any myself.
    I've heard that the silver-plated shotgun is a good choice.

Scopes: Scopes are like enchants for ranged weapons. Scopes should be money-makers,
    but remember to make these on commission instead of keeping a stock.

Ammo: I've never had much luck at selling ammo for a profit, but they're consumable and generally better
    damage than similarly-leveled vendor-bought ammo. Again, this is probably a commission type product.

EZ-Thro Dynamite: This is low damage dynamite that is usable by anyone. I haven't tried selling this to
    strangers, but it's possible. It requires 4 coarse stones and 1 wool per "cycle" though, and coarse
    stone sounds like it's fairly rare on many servers.

Pets: Mechanical squirrels are much cheaper to make than vendor-bought pets. The major cost is 2 malachite
    pieces. You can probably sell these at a profit early on if you find the schematic for them.
    Later on is the Lifelike Mechanical Toad. This one requires much more expensive materials, but
    some people are willing to pay for exclusivity.

Flame and Ice deflector: These are rare schematics (one dropped, the other vendor-bought), but they
    don't seem to be engineer-only items. They don't help a whole lot, but they're cheap to make. I doubt people
    know they exist, so there probably isn't much market.

Ornate Spyglass: For a long time I didn't think this item was worth much. It zooms in your field of
    view, which has a nasty side effect of making things whip around on your screen if you turn quickly. However,
    now that I've been in some difficult instances and out on mining expiditions in areas above my level, I wish
    I still had mine. Besides making things in the distance larger, it actually increases your sight range, letting
    you see things you otherwise couldn't. Great for looking past some enemies you don't want to fight, or across
    a chasm you can't jump to see if it's worth going around, etc. Everyone should have one of these.

Discombobulator Ray: This schematic is learned in Gnomergan (explained below). It doesn't have an
    engineering requirement, and has 5 charges when created. It slows attack rate by 50% and movement rate by 30%.
    It also turns your target into a leper gnome, which is priceless.
    This item doesn't seem to work from the hotbar. You need to activate it from your inventory at the moment, so
    be sure to mention that to your customers or they may be very disappointed in their purchase.

Aquadynamic Fish Attractor: If you want to deal in bulk, you could probably make a small but steady
    income on these fishing lures. For 2 bronze bars, 1 coarse blasting powder, and 1 nightcrawler (vendor bought for 1s),
    you create 3 fish attractors, which cost 2.5s each from a vendor. If you know enough people who still enjoy
    fishing enough to pursue it, you should be able to give them a better deal than the vendor while still turning
    a profit.

Iron grenade, heavy dynamite, other explosives: Certain explosives sell to vendors especially well.
    For example, 1 stack each of heavy powder, iron, and silk will net you about 3g from a vendor. You can
    probably sell a stack of iron for 1.5 to 2g in the AH, so check it to see which is more worthwhile.
    Likewise 2 stacks of heavy powder and 1 stack of wool will make heavy dynamite that will vendor for about 2g.
    Check other easily-made explosives as well, depending on what you find yourself with a surplus of.

Recipes: Gnomish and Goblin engineering each learn to make one recipe. These are for other professions
    to learn to make mithril cylinders and rocket fuel, respectively. As far as I know these items are only
    used by engineers, but smiths and alchemists may want these recipes to sell the items.

Goblin Rocket Boots: Goblin engineers make rocket boots that are usable by anyone, which increase run speed
    for 20 seconds. Unfortunately they have a chance to explode, destroying the boots and returning some of
    the materials. If a buyer is willing to take the risk, you may be able to sell them, plus upkeep when they blow.

Green Lens: At 245 skill, engineers can make a Blue item with +10 sta and a random modifier. Only
    engineers can wear them, but as a Blue item enchanters love them to get Large Radiant Shards. (They
    disenchant to this every time.) Depending on your auction house savvy, materials cost between 2.5 and
    3.5 gold, and can generally sell for 4-5g. Obviously prices vary from server to server and as economies
    change, but lenses should always be in demand, so keep an eye on the material costs.

[Salt Shaker]: These are needed by leatherworkers to change deeprock salt into refined deeprock salt, with a
    hefty cooldown. This is the leatherworking transmute, similar to arcanite, enchanted thorium, and mooncloth.
    Again, the materials are pricey, so make these on commission.

Items for quests: Certain quests require you to obtain components from various professions. Engineers
    make some of these quest rewards.

For the Alliance, the following are needed for quests (Thanks Warlockgirl on Archimonde for mentioning it)
    Unstable Trigger
    Hi-Explosive Bomb
    Gyrochronatom
    Bronze Tube
    Mithril Casing
    Advanced Target Dummy

For the Horde, the following are needed for quests
    Deadly Blunderbuss
    Gyrochronatom
    Hi-Explosive Bomb
    Unstable Trigger
    Mithril Casing
    Advanced Target Dummy

The Gnomish and Goblin engineering quests require items, but you're not likely to sell these to any but
    the laziest engineers:
    Big Iron Bomb
    Solid Dynamite
    Explosive Sheep
    Advanced Target Dummy
    Mithril Tube
    Accurate Scope

Player Prices fluctuate on materials and finished items. William maintains a good guide on current prices.
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...tmp=1#post3716
    You can use this to determine the cost of your materials and therefore the price of your products.

4.5 Why can't I sell more items? (Why do they require engineering to use?)

The rationale is twofold:

1) To preserve the fantasy setting over a technology setting, they want engineering to be relatively rare.

2) To preserve balance, the power gained via engineering is offset by needing to commit to the profession.
    If everyone could use engineered stuff, everyone would NEED engineered stuff to stay balanced.

I'm not saying I agree, or whether you should agree, but that's Blizzard's reasoning.

Draznar
    Mostly Benevolent Dictator

Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:58 pm Post subject: Post 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5. ABOUT ADVANCING IN ENGINEERING

5.1 How do I advance my Engineering Skill?

Make stuff. The only way to learn is by doing, so apply your craft!

5.2 How does the color scheme for schematics work?

Schematics are colored-coded according to the likelihood that creating them will increase your skill:

Red schematics cannot be learned.
    Orange schematics will always increase your skill when created.
    Yellow schematics will sometimes increase your skill when created.
    Green schematics will rarely increase your skill when created.
    Gray schematics will never increase your skill when created.

Schematics will only change colors at multiples of 5. Also, a schematic that just changed
    from yellow to green will continue to give frequent skill points, while one that is nearly gray will not.
    I've created 20 green-skill items and not gained one skill point when the schematic was about to turn gray.
    (I believe this is a bug) Allakhazam's profession pages list when a schematic will turn green and gray,
    so consult this if you're unsure just how "green" something is.

Apparently Gnomes have a slight discrepancy here. Gnomes are given a racial bonus of +15 to their engineering
    skill (if they take engineering), which means that they start with a skill of 16 instead of a skill of 1,
    and each skill cap is raised by 15 (expert gnomes cap at a skill of 240 instead of 225, and gnomes can
    actually have an engineering skill of 315). I've read (in a FAQ response) that the color code is based
    off a gnome's total skill, while the chance to skill up may be based off of their un-adjusted total. This
    would lead to gaining skillups more often from green schemaics, and even from gray schematics sometimes.
    Can I get a confirmation on this?

5.3 What does advancing my Engineering Skill do?

The higher the engineering skill, the higher level schematic you can learn. Later schematics produce
    more powerful items.

5.4 What's the best way to advance my Engineering Skill?

Generally speaking, you want to gain each point with the least amount of materials spent. Orange and yellow
    schematics are the most reliable, but sometimes the materials may be costly if you're too low level to acquire them
    yourself. Yellow and recently green schematics are often the "sweet spot" for points per material used.

I've found that new ammunition and explosive schematics are very cheap skillpoints, as they are meant to be
    created over and over. For example, I used mithril-based ammo to skill from 240 to 270, at about 2 bars per
    point overall.

If you're having trouble raising your skill, consult one of the database sites I listed. Allakhazam lists
    the skill level at which schematics turn green and gray, so you can compare that to your skill level and
    see which is your best option. If that is a dropped or vendor-bought schematic, consider tracking it down.

5.4 I’ve stopped getting skill points when I create items. What’s going on?

Either:
    You are at the maximum points you may have at your engineering tier. See the Ranks/Levels below.
    or
    You are using gray schematics. Try creating higher-skill items to advance engineering.

5.5 What are the different levels/ranks in the professions?

Rank (Min - Max Skills)
    Apprentice (1-75)
    Journeyman (50-150)
    Expert (125-225)
    Artisan (200-300)

Note that gnomes gain 15 skill in engineering as a racial bonus. As such, their maximum skill at each rank
    is increased by 15. (90, 165, 240, 315)

5.6 Are there any items that can increase my engineering skill?

None that I know of. Sorry.

5.7 What is the difference between Apprentice and Journeyman Engineering or Journeyman/Expert or
    Expert/Artisan?

The difference between two different levels is the maximum amount of points you may have in
    engineering. At Apprentice you may never exceed 75 points. At Journeyman you may never exceed 150
    points. At Expert you may never exceed 225 points. At artisan you may never exceed 300 points.

5.8 Are there any level requirements for Engineering or the Engineering levels?

Yes, you may train Engineering starting at level 5. As with other production professions,
    the level requirements for the various levels of engineering are as follows:
    Apprentice: 5
    Journeyman: 10
    Expert: 20
    (Racial: 30)
    Artisan: 35

5.9 What's that racial level you just mentioned?

When you have both reached level 30 and have 200 engineering skill, you may choose to become either
    a Goblin engineer or a Gnomish engineer. One path excludes you from the other, and there is
    no way to change your mind once it's been made. This choice is done through a quest, so once the quest
    is done you cannot do it again to change your mind.

The quest starts in one of three places: Ironforge, Undercity, and also in Ratchet.
    You will receive a book to read about the differences between the disciplines. After you've
    made your choice, you must visit the master for that path. The Master Gnome engineer is in Booty Bay.
    The Master Goblin engineer is in Gadgetzan. These trainers will give you a task to complete to join
    that society. Note that you don't need to choose either, as it is not linked to learning
    artisan engineering at level 35 at all.

For Goblin engineering, you must provide him with 20 Big Iron Bombs, 20 Solid Dynamite, and 5 Explosive Sheep.
    (Note! This is the number of items, not the number of "cycles" through the schematic. Pay attention to
    how many are made each time. I made WAY too many when I did this.)

For Gnomish engineering, you must provide 6 Mithril Tubes, 2 Advanced Target Dummies, and 1 Accurate Scope.

These trainers are NOT, I say again NOT the Master engineer needed to further your progression. Completing
    this quest does NOT raise your skill limit past 225. Choosing a path simply gives you access to
    special schematics while excluding you from the others.

5.10 What schematics are gained by each specialization?

Goblin engineering produces the following:
    1) (205) Goblin mining hat (AC 190, +15 sta, +5 mining, mail armor, BoP) (You no take candle!)
    2) (205) Goblin construction hat (AC 44, +15 fire resist, cloth, BoP) Use: absorb 300 to 500 fire damage for 1 minute.
    3) (205) Goblin sapper charge (explosive, limited use) Damage enemies around you for a lot while damaging you
    for slightly less.
    4) (205) Goblin Rocket Fuel recipe (creates a recipe) create recipes for alchemists, who in turn can supply you
    with goblin rocket fuel, necessary for some schematics.
    5) (205) Goblin Mortar (explosive, 6 uses) Has a minimum and maximum range. Binds on equip, so you can
    recharge your own mortar (using the Mortar: Reloaded schematic gained at the same time) for significantly
    fewer resources than a new mortar, but cannot recharge anyone elses as it is soulbound to them.
    Also worth noting is that this item apparently still causes a "stun" effect instead of a "disorient" effect,
    which is somewhat more useful. However, the radius is smaller than listed, probably 6 yards instead of 10.
    6) (225) Goblin Rocket Boots (AC 41, cloth) These boots are one of the few items usable by those without
    the engineering skill. They allow fast running for a short period of time, but are prone to explosion.
    7) (230) Goblin Bomb Dispenser (trinket, BoP) Can create one bomb that behaves as an exploding sheep, every
    30 minutes.
    (235) The Big One (explosive, 2 uses) A massive bomb that deals high damage in a huge radius. Has a
    longer than usual activation time.
    9) (240) Goblin Dragon Gun (trinket, BoP) A 10-second channel creates a cone of flame that deals damage each second.
    10(?)) (245) Goblin Rocket Helmet (AC 50, +15 sta, cloth) Allows you to charge an enemy, knocking it unconscious
    for 30 seconds and yourself for less time. Damage ends the effect.

Gnomish engineering produces the following:
    1) (205) Gnomish Shrink Ray (trinket) temporarily reduces target's attack power by 250. this can also backfire
    on the user, causing them to shrink or grow.
    2) (205) Inlaid mithril cylinder plans (creates a recipe) creates plans for blacksmiths, who in turn can
    provide you with mithril cylinders, necessary for some schematics.
    3) (210) Gnomish Goggles (AC 45, +9 agi, +9 sta, +9 spi, cloth, BoP) goggles with agility
    4) (210) Gnomish Net-O-Matic Projector (trinket) Roots target for 10 seconds, 10 minute cooldown. Can backfire
    and root the user instead.
    5) (215) Gnomish Harm Prevention belt (AC 66, +6 sta, leather) Use: blocks 500 damage over the next minute,
    but can also temporarily remove the user from reality.
    6) (225) Gnomish rocket boots (AC 41, cloth) requires engineering to use, but cannot be destroyed like the
    goblin version.
    7) (230) Gnomish Battle Chicken (trinket, BoP) summons a combat chicken for 90 seconds. 30 minute cooldown.
    (235) Gnomish mind control cap (AC 50, +14 spi, cloth) allows mind control of your target for a short time.
    9) (240) Gnomish death ray (trinket, BoP) a 4-second channel deals damage to you each second, and then releases
    more than the total amount at your target. Aggros as you start channeling.

Each society has its own special ambient pet as well, which are BoP and gained by randomly receiving the
    schematic after renewing membership.

BoP stands for Bind on Pickup, which means the items cannot be traded at all.

As you can see, while the quest requirement is 200, you should wait until 205 skill to do it, since that
    is the required skill for the first schematics in either discipline.

5.10.q Membership renewals

After a few weeks of membership in your club, you won't have access to your trainer until you renew your membership!
    In all likelihood, you'll learn all your special schematics before your membership expires. I think it took me
    3 days to skill up enough. However, with each renewal comes a special gift from your racial trainer! Often
    it will be bombs or components, but occasionally you will receive a rare schematic or even one you can't
    acquire any other way. Your renewal gift takes a full 24 hours to arrive from what I hear; I haven't actually
    renewed yet myself.

Here's a list of things people have received:
    Big Iron Bomb
    Hi-Explosive Bomb
    Mithril Frag Bombs
    Mithril Tube
    Mithril Casing
    Unstable Trigger
    Schematic: Parachute cloak
    Schematic: Lil' Smoky (Gnomish ambient pet, only known way to obtain)
    Schematic: Pet Bombling (Goblin ambient pet, only known way to obtain)
    Schematic: Lifelike Mechanical Toad (ambient pet, I had one report of this so I'm a little skeptical)
    Schematic: Goblin Land Mine
    (This seems to be everything, as I've read one person's account of 80+ renewals and this is all they got.)
    5.11 How much does it cost to train Apprentice/Journeyman/Expert/Artisan?

Apprentice: 5 copper
    Journeyman: 5 silver
    Expert: 50 silver
    Artisan: 5 gold

If you are in a city where you have a reputation of Honored or better you will receive the
    standard discount on your training.

5.12 I am ready to train in Journeyman/Expert/Artisan, who can train me?

You must find the engineer designated as the skill level above what you would like to learn. That is,
    to learn journeyman engineering you must train at the expert engineer. The journeyman is not skilled
    enough to teach you what he is still learning, and the artisan can't be bothered to teach someone with
    so little skill.

Engineering trainers are usually found in major cities.
    Artisan engineers can be found in Orgrimmar and Ironforge.
    The single master engineer (for all engineers) can be found in Gadgetzan in Tanaris. His name is
    Buzzek Bracketswing.

Getting to Gadgetzan can be a little daunting if you want to train as soon as possible.
    The short version is: head south out of the Barrens and follow the Thousand Needles valley East
    until you get to the Shimmering Flats. Follow the "road" South out of the bowl, and Gadgetzan is on the
    other side of the mountain pass. This is easier for the horde, but not bad for the alliance (just long).
    There are horde-aligned guards at the barrens/1KN border, but you can ignore them if you time the elevator
    right.

5.13 Where can I find a certain schematic?

Up until skill 250, most schematics are learned from the trainers.

Certain schematics are rare drops from monsters. You can check a database site mentioned at the
    start of the FAQ to see where it's been found, or you can purchase them via the auction house.

Certain other schematics are purchased from special vendors across the world with a limited supply. They
    only carry one at a time, and you may find them for sale in the auction house at a higher price. You can
    decide whether you want to track it down yourself or spend more for the convenience. Always check
    a schematic before you buy it, to make sure it's not an easily-obtained vendor item!

Nugnug has compiled a list of all vendor-bought schematics.
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...=new&tmp=1#new

Past skill 250, schematics are either limited vendor sales or rare monster drops.

The Discombobulator Ray schematic is earned in Gnomergan by finding a rare drop "delta security access card"
    and using it with the Matrix Punchograph 3005-D near the end of the instance. This card is tradable, so
    share it with your guild engineers or you can try selling it in the auction house, though I didn't have
    much luck with that. Note this machine does not give you a schematic item, but teaches you the schematic
    immediately, so as an engineer you must reach this machine with a delta card to learn it. You must also have
    160 skill in engineering.

Flash bombs are learned from a schematic given by a quest called Pearl Diving. A goblin in the badlands
    asks you to collect Blue Pearls from shells off the coast of Stranglethorn Vale. These pearls aren't BoP
    and I collected them before I had the quest, so you might be able to buy them from other players instead
    of getting them yourself. The schematic comes from a "second turn in" of sorts, after you turn in the quest
    and talk to him again.

Our fancy new repair bot schematic is learned from a static location in Blackrock Depths. There is a large
    scroll on the ground just in front of Argelmach the golem lord, which you interact with to learn this
    schematic. This schematic requires 300 engineering to learn. If you aren't interested in killing Argelmach
    and his golems, or can't do it with your current party, you can run up, interact with it to learn the
    schematic, and run away. I did this after clearing the path forward to the bar, and they actually deaggroed
    from me before I got to the bridge. It's also possible to reach this location solo, using 4 invisibility
    potions and a gnomish cloaking device, or so I hear.

5.14 How do I "unlearn" Engineering

Go to your skills panel ("K") and highlight the skill you want to lose. It'll show up in the lower
    panel and next to it you'll have one of those circle with a slash "No" symbols. Click on that symbol
    to forget the skill. If you ever want to learn this profession again you will just start out as a novice.

5.15 Current Issues/Bugs with Engineering

Goblin land mines may or may not work. I've seen them explode, but they generally do nothing.

Seaforium charges are NOT usable on locked chests. They now work on some locked doors, but not enough for
    me to consider them useful.

Bomb disorent effects seem to be on a separate resistance check from the damage, and seem much more easily
    resisted. I've only just noticed my first disorient after weeks of chucking bombs
    ~~~~HOW DO YOU LIKE THESE CAPSSSSSSS~~~~

Engineering for Dummys!
    druidofthenight's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Engineering for Dummys!

wow man...props on how long it must of took you...sorry i didnt read the whole thing i just skimmed itbut from what i saw it was preatty in depth
    +==+ nightfighter

earthquake's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Guide verry helpful

ReidE96's Avatar Archer Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ nightfighter - it's lifted straight from the WoW Forums, he even says so.

nice guide all the same