Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Hunter] Tame a pet and keep it's unique skin.

Hi,

There's currently a bug/glitch that allows you to tame the Oiled Hawk and Ghost Bird without them losing their unique skin. Credits of this go to Griffley of Petopia.

Step 1:
    *You have to take all of your gear off, it will make your Serpent Sting crit, messing up this guide.
    *Shoot them with a Serpent Sting (Immediatly click away after this, or you will shoot him with your Auto attack.)
    If you are having trouble clicking away in time, I have prepared this macro for you:
    /use Serpent Sting
    /target yourownname

Step 2:
    *Cast Tame Beast at the exact moment, the Serpent Sting does its first amount of damage.
    If the Pet dies, you cast tame too late.
    If you get a brown hawk, you cast tame too early.
    Do not expect to do it right the first time, and keep making small adjustments.

Step 3:
    *If you do it just right, the target will Die and be Tamed at the same time.
    *You now have to use Revive Pet instantly after it was tamed, to make the corpse vanish. (When I say instantly, I mean INSTANTLY)
    *Now you cancel the revive, after the corpse is gone.
    You will not see a Portrait of the beast in your Call Pet button, but it is there alright.

Step 4:
    *You relog.
    *Now Select the pet slot you tamed your Oiled Hawk in. ("Your pet is dead.")
    *So now you revive him and enjoy your new insanely rare pet!
    Note: Don't enter the arena or it will fail. The Ghost Bird works about the same, but with a timer. Read it up there.

-Aldun

Edit proof: (You can't see my name but I cba'd doing it with interface since I would have to black out everything. If you're really paranoid about a photoshop or so ask me and ill do a full screenie, but it will be tomorrow since Ill log off now. Ill check this topic later from my Iphone).

Last edited by Aldun; 12-01-2010 at 05:05 PM.

[Hunter] Tame a pet and keep it's unique skin.
    Akisunmaaji's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guide you posted seems to be outdated. The time it takes to tame has been halved as of patch 4.0.1 (ten seconds now) before haste, and it's no where near possible for serpent sting to kill the pet before the end of the tame with no equipment on (even specced into improved serpent sting, the pet was at 82% when the tame cast finished).

Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Akisunmaaji View Post
    The guide you posted seems to be outdated. The time it takes to tame has been halved as of patch 4.0.1 (ten seconds now) before haste, and it's no where near possible for serpent sting to kill the pet before the end of the tame with no equipment on (even specced into improved serpent sting, the pet was at 82% when the tame cast finished).
    The guide is posted yesterday and I've confirmed it myself matey. I didn't take off all my gear though, only the setpiece that caused Serpent Sting to crit. Are you 80? Perhaps you have too much haste (if it even improves taming, but afaik BL etc do so yea..)

Akisunmaaji's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Aldun View Post
    The guide is posted yesterday and I've confirmed it myself matey. I didn't take off all my gear though, only the setpiece that caused Serpent Sting to crit. Are you 80? Perhaps you have too much haste (if it even improves taming, but afaik BL etc do so yea..)
    It doesn't make sense though, how could you have possibly confirmed it yourself? Since patch 4.0.1 Serpent Sting can innately crit even without that set bonus. It's just impossible to time with the crits, DoT length, and taming length when you factor in haste (which you are almost 100% guaranteed to have if your dot is going to come close to killing the mob. Without gear you aren't killing it period).

Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Akisunmaaji View Post
    It doesn't make sense though, how could you have possibly confirmed it yourself? Since patch 4.0.1 Serpent Sting can innately crit even without that set bonus. It's just impossible to time with the crits, DoT length, and taming length when you factor in haste (which you are almost 100% guaranteed to have if your dot is going to come close to killing the mob. Without gear you aren't killing it period).
    Idk about the crit thingy, but I did manage to tame it after ~10 tries.. It's just a matter of luck about dying time
    Edit: Trying it again now. It works just fine (haven't been able to get him yet but that's because of unlucky timers). What I mean is that the tame and his death are about at the same time. I only got 1 trinket, neck and bow.

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Updated with screenshot.
    Last edited by Aldun; 12-01-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Wiings's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Confirmed. But with another pet, the oiled wolf. Seemed a more sensible idea than the birds. Took the wolf to 400 HP and used the viper trap and some careful distancing & timing with the casts and activation of the trap, took me a while to pull it off since the first time I wasn't fast enough with the revive. I'm also not Lv.80 so I have no idea how the damage is for higher levels.

Edit: Does the oil coat buff disappear if the pet dies?
    Last edited by Wiings; 12-01-2010 at 05:16 PM.

BlQ's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nearly the same guide has been posted months ago

Zongfoo's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    10/28
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by BlQ View Post
    nearly the same guide has been posted months ago
    Could you please link the guide that was posted months ago? I don't remember seeing it. Plus the OP will want to see it too no doubt.

Also, I don't suppose someone could do a "How To" video on this? FML I can't get this to work. Tried so many ways.

Lynox's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there another pet out there where u can use that glitch?

Janube's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was not posted recently.

What was posted was a guide SOLELY on getting the oil-soaked wolf. It worked because the wolf had a quest for it that specifically made it despawn at a point, and taming it with this quest was rather simple. This is an entirely new method that works on multiple pets based on whether or not they're buff persists upon death.

ghost111's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Lynox Yes there are a couple of other pets you can do this with. One being the Lone Hunter. The easiest way to get him is to use your immolation trap since it cant innately crit (as far as i've seen). Test your immolation trap damage on some other random pet to see how much damage it does a tick, mine did 610 exact. Multiply that by 4 to see how much health you need to hit the Lone Hunter down to with your fists. In my case between 1800 and 2400 is what he needed to be at. I say multiply by 4 because you start to tame JUST before the first tick goes off (1) then there will be two ticks during the tame (2 and 3). Just as the tame is about to end there will be a 4th and final tick (4). This is where you start to spam revive etc etc as stated above.

The Lone Hunter - NPC - World of Warcraft

It's amazing the tells you get from people when they see your wolf with a sword sticking out of his head hahah!

PS: He has a 2 minute and 30 second respawn timer.
    Alkhara : "Trade went smoothly. WoW for ****** FTW."
    /sigh lol

RoBoBOBR's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lone Hunter works! Thanks, ghost111!

edit: tested just now - sword stays even after pet death.
    Last edited by RoBoBOBR; 12-01-2010 at 09:14 PM.

l00011094's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from entering arena Wat will get rid of the buff ?
    Also any other cool skins to tame apart from the lone hunter
    Finally got the lone hunter after 1hr an a half on my 42 hunter hope it doesn't lose its buff wen stabling it
    Last edited by l00011094; 12-02-2010 at 01:10 AM.

lordryan555's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might've been hotfixed, I've tamed an oil covered wolf which worked, then proceeded to EPL to tame The Lone Hunter and I've done the same thing I did for the oily wolf 2 times and the sword buff goes away.

Janube's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lone Wolf is much harder. This is not hotfixed yet.

ALSO, for you young, aspiring hunters, WoW Petopia Community • View topic - How to tame the Burning Boars!

The flaming boars of Mulgore are also tameable! They require a low leveled hordey friend if you're ally though!

I got mine today.

That's 4 bugged pets in ONE day.

Good haul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast