0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow alpha 0.5.3 Core?

Do you know if its possible to find a Core of the Wow alpha 0.5.3?

I don't mean a sandbox, i want a Wow alpha server with npc,spells,items...

Wow alpha 0.5.3 Core?
    Natrist's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    9/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by alucard001 View Post
    Do you know if its possible to find a Core of the Wow alpha 0.5.3?

I don't mean a sandbox, i want a Wow alpha server with npc,spells,items...
    I have an emulator or two for it, back home, on an external hard drive. I'm unsure if I can get anyone to look into it for me but I can definitely give it a shot and let you know how it goes.

3. Thanks HI5 (1 members gave Thanks to Natrist for this useful post)
    alucard001's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Natrist View Post
    I have an emulator or two for it, back home, on an external hard drive. I'm unsure if I can get anyone to look into it for me but I can definitely give it a shot and let you know how it goes.
    sure.............

akspa420's Avatar Contributor
    CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    73/13
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I know, there was never a proper server for the 0.5.3 alpha. There's the Abyss2 sandbox, and there was another server - Rift2, Rift2.net, I think was the name. Aside from that, there was never any more work done. If I remember right, the rift server could handle a bit of data, but no proper database with npc's, spells, etc. The client itself has some spell effects hard-coded, which is why some spells will appear to work. This all changed by the time the game went into public beta. Sure, the client knows a bit about how the spells work, but not the entirety of the data is provided client-side, and it relies a lot on server scripts to apply the spell debuffs etc. All that stuff would need to be handled by a server that has a full dump of data from that era of development - which we do not have.

The easiest,albeit cumbersome way to experience the alpha maps with NPC's is to utilize converted maps to the 3.3.5 client, and use a blizz-like server that you can customize to make it feel more like the 0.5.3 world. Since there's not a lot known about the various NPC's of that era, let alone everything else in a proper database, you could perhaps take a blizz-like 1.12 database, and convert it up to a 3.3.5 blizz-like database.

All in all, it would be a lot of work to get a proper WoW Alpha server up and running. It's best to try at least the converted maps in the 3.3.5 client. It's as close as you'll get to experiencing the game as it once was. Unfortunately, a lot of city data, like Ironforge and Stormwind do not come with the converted maps, as no one ever bothered to create a converter for that particular version of WMO data - the closest I've ever seen any of that data extracted was years ago as an obj file, viewable in Blender without any textures. I'm no 3d artist, so I haven't any idea how much work would need to be done to actually get a working wow alpha Ironforge WMO (not to mention that the doodads and other assets are unknown since we don't have a db from that era).

All in all, good luck on your journey - I've looked far and wide, through various archives for such a thing, but have come up with nothing

edit: http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/worl...-emulator.html (Novo's WoW Classic Alpha 0.5.3 (3368)(Dec. 2003 Client) Emulator) found this, it's the only working link that I could find of a slightly newer rift-based server for the 0.5.3 alpha. I haven't looked into the archive yet, but I believe it includes the source code.
    Last edited by akspa420; 10-15-2015 at 02:19 AM.

6. Thanks HI5 (1 members gave Thanks to akspa420 for this useful post)