0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual screen problem.

I currently use a Nvidia Corp GeForce 6200 LE as my main video card for my monitor. I know, its bad, but its a placeholder until I can afford my 8800 GTS.

Now, my computer (an HP Pavilion a6245n) does not have a extra slot for a second video card, but it did come with a built in GMA 3100 (Intel GMA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

However, I have yet to be able to get the second monitor plugged in the GMA to run. The computer does not seem able to recognize that the GMA exists once the 6200 was plugged in.

I very much want to have my two monitors running. Any tips? Anything I might be missing?

Dual screen problem.
    ChrisC's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Alkhara Majere View Post
    I currently use a Nvidia Corp GeForce 6200 LE as my main video card for my monitor. I know, its bad, but its a placeholder until I can afford my 8800 GTS.

Now, my computer (an HP Pavilion a6245n) does not have a extra slot for a second video card, but it did come with a built in GMA 3100 (Intel GMA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

However, I have yet to be able to get the second monitor plugged in the GMA to run. The computer does not seem able to recognize that the GMA exists once the 6200 was plugged in.

I very much want to have my two monitors running. Any tips? Anything I might be missing?
    First check to make sure that the cables are in tight and such. Next try startup with only the GMA plugged in, and then adding the other once you are into windows.
    If those don't work, go into the NVIDIA Control Panel --> Display --> Set up Multiple Displays

Alkhara Majere's Avatar Account not activated by Email
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is a issue with the BIOS. It is not initializing the hardware of the GMA 3100.

Alkhara Majere's Avatar Account not activated by Email
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unless there is a setting in the BIOS its highly likely that you can't do it. In cases like this it is the exception rather than the norm for the motherboard to stop using the onboard when an expansion GPU is plugged in. Essentially if it were a high quality board you'd be expecting it...
    Got this from a friend.

aflacattack's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that video card has 2 ports on it, most likely one DVI and one VGA, have you tried connecting both monitors to your video card? should work...
    but i'll see if i can dig up anything if you tell me the motherboard please
    Last edited by aflacattack; 01-27-2008 at 02:38 AM. Reason: fix a sentence