0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] How to be "That Nice Guy"

I've spent a lot of time on a lot of WoW servers, and one thing that I've noticed is how well the "nice people" stick out on the servers, and how they are the ones always invited to raids, pre-mades, and arenas.

While I myself am guilty of being a dick on some occasions, I thought it would be nice to write a little guide on things to do to be seen as "that nice guy". Not only will it get you more partners in game, but it will teach you an important lesson that may even apply to you in real life!

Let's get started:

1. Why would I want to be a nice guy?
    Aside from the benefits we mentioned earlier, nice guys/girls will be appreciated even more for their skill in-game, and their personality. You may be a hardcore Arena junkie, but if you're an *******, everyone tends to think of you as an elitist, which can be either a good or bad thing (it can work positively because other members of the elitist clique will seek you out). If you show kindness and modesty, your skill will be appreciated more than if you were a dick to everyone and their mother.

So. How do you be a nice guy?

Here's some ideas on how to get "Nice Guy Rep" on your server.

A. Offer to help lowbies with instance runs and quests when you encounter them. WARNING: Make sure not to let a lowbie take advantage of you, asking you to do an entire instance run over and over. This person is just exploiting you (common sense)
    B. Say your pleases and thank yous (just like mother taught!) in raids and instances when the mage conjures up a table, or a warlock conjures a soulwell (bird fountain).
    C. When your raid falls apart, compliment the best parts of the raid group, but offer constructive criticism to the guy who may not be performing so well, instead of blowing up in his face.
    D. Be patient. This is a prime lesson in-game, as the game can get a bit frustrating when you're losing arena matches or wiping on a boss. Instead of yelling at your partners or guildies, just be patient, and realize that everyone is there for the same thing.
    E. Don't steel quest mobs, and hold the virtual "E-door" for others by allowing them to go before you to kill Chillmaw.
    F. Avoid corpse-camping for too long, but don't be afraid to attack back if someone else is corpse-camping you! The point is to come off as a nice guy, not a *****!
    G. Speak respectfully in vent, and do so in a mature manner. Avoid swearing excessively and acting immature, as "Nice Guys" are almost always usually mature individuals and contribute to society; your typical "teen-age asswipe" is not. (No offense to anyone of that age, obviously. The term is to describe certain members of the game and society who believe that the world owes them something)
    H. Mediate fights, and help both sides come to a resolution. Offer to be a go-between, but avoid drama and taking sides if you can help it.
    H.b. NEVER, EVER, EVER take sides on server "Drama-Battles". This shit isn't worth it.
    I. Anti-troll and anti-troll more. Never feed your server trolls, and don't let them irk you in public channels. This could screw up your rep as nice-guy.
    J. DO NOT, DO NOT rush to the defense of everyone EXCESSIVELY. This could end up making you a server "White Knight", especially if these people you are defending are usually women.

Thanks guys! Enjoy your "Nice Guy" title.
    Leecher -> Active -> News Team -> Contrib -> News Team Leader -> Moderator -> Former Mod
    Proud Ownedcore Member 2007-2012

[Guide] How to be "That Nice Guy"
    Unholyshaman's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad, but it's more about giving people a reason to be interested in you and remember you in a good way.

I myself am too nice for my own good in real life, and believe me - all that happens is you end up wasting too much time doing stupid stuff and getting frustrated because you get nothing in return. Something that REALLY irritated me when I used to use the nice guy approach in-game is after you help a lowbie or noob, they instantly think that you are their best friend and will whisper you every single time you logon etc.

Now days I am just very straight forward. If there is someone I don't like or I think they are acting like a 10 year old retard, I let them know - but I don't just explode into their face because in the end that only gives them satisfaction.

Otherwise I am just generally polite and I keep to myself unless talked directly at / situation deems it necessary for me to talk.

Overall pretty decent guide. Unfortunately I repped you recently so I can rep you again atm.

Spatt's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If atlest 1/3 of WoW would be like that...
    Oh how nice it would be

Jeremiah's Avatar Former Mod
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Spatt View Post
    If atlest 1/3 of WoW would be like that...
    Oh how nice it would be
    Not to mention, if the world could be like that. Oh well.
    Leecher -> Active -> News Team -> Contrib -> News Team Leader -> Moderator -> Former Mod

Village Drunk's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on your current loot system in your guilds, it might also help you get epics!

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Village Drunk View Post
    Depending on your current loot system in your guilds, it might also help you get epics!
    ^ This. This is definitely another benefit.

themaster's Avatar Contributor
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also start every sentance with a capital letter and use interpunctions. Besides make full sentances because this way you look more professional/mature. So don't talk like "m8 im epix skillz now inv me to raid" or whatever.

Village Drunk's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by themaster View Post
    Also start every sentance with a capital letter and use interpunctions. Besides make full sentances because this way you look more professional/mature. So don't talk like "m8 im epix skillz now inv me to raid" or whatever.
    lulz wtf u tlkin abut m7?

Evilbuffy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got some nice tips for people here mate. And to comment his tips, this is exactly how I used to be before, but I figured out that I was the only one being kind, and none giving me anything back, so now I've changed. If people wipe me, they have done a huge mistake and will never come into raids I am in. I will tag them in trade etc, call me a kid but yeh, that's how I roll

Good guide tho

Roffle's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    K. Read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
    L. Apply what you learned from step k to your interactions with people in warcraft.

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Roffle View Post
    K. Read How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie.
    L. Apply what you learned from step k to your interactions with people in warcraft.
    I should edit this and add it in.

kasperklysner's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically be the guy you are IRL, and stop pretending you have an epeen. :L For most people anyway. Seen to many elitists pricks being shy nerds with no social life. ^^

+Rep hoping for people to use this guide and stop being immature dicks.

Vixxi's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by kasperklysner View Post
    Basically be the guy you are IRL, and stop pretending you have an epeen.
    Originally Posted by kasperklysner View Post
    Seen too many elitists pricks being shy nerds with no social life. ^^

This is basically the same thing?