Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[How to]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros

Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros

Sulfuras is the mighty weapon of Ragnaros the Firelord. The weapon never leaves his grasp. It is composed of flaming red elementium and etched from end to end with intricate runes that seem to move like flowing lava across the weapons surface. Sulfuras is covered with many vicious pikes of varying sizes, each white hot and surrounded by the distortion of shimmering heat.

When a creature is slain by Sulfuras, its body is consumed by intense flame and effectively disintegrated, leaving behind only a pile of ash. The heat and pressure of this effect solidifies the ash into a hard, dark, crystal. This crystal is known as an eye of Sulfuras and is used by Ragnaros' followers in ancient rituals or to craft special weapons such as sulfuron hammers.

You might already know wtf to do to obtain this hammer, although you're not 100% sure on the mats, therefore I will list all the raw mats here...
    Thorium Ore - 50
    Arcane Crystal - 50
    Lava Core - 10
    Sulfuron Ingot - 9 (+1 to get the plans)
    Fire Core - 10
    Dark Iron Ore - 160
    Blood of the Mountain - 10
    Eye of Sulfuras - 1

Sulfuron Hammer

To create Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros, you first need the Sulfuron Hammer which can be crafted by a skilled blacksmith at 300.
    The mats used to be really expensive and hard to get, but nowadays you can usually do MC alone or get a friend to help you, depending on class and gear of course.
    Not even the plans are the easiest to obtain, although they are loads easier than the whole process to get Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros. The below mats include the items required for the plans, if you already have the plans, subtract 2 Sulfuron Ingots.
    To craft the Sulfuron Hammer from the scratch, you need the follow mats:

x9
    x20
    x50
    x25
    x10
    x10
    x10

The plans

You will also need the plans in order to be able to smith this hammer.
    It's not especially complicated to obtain the plans, although there's a small quest you have to do.
    A Binding Contract - Quest - World of Warcraft
    For this quest you need two (or more)

When you have the ingots for the quest, go to Lokhtos Darkbargainer - NPC - World of Warcraft located in the BRD bar. http://wow-guides.co.uk/Maps/BlackrockDepths.jpg The bar is number 15, The Grim Guzzler.
    To get to the bar, you need to have the Shadowforge Key, be a Blacksmith with a highlevel key or a skilled rogue. (will be described later)

Anyways, let's get to the mats for the Sulfuron Hammer, shall we?

How do I get this item?
    Golemagg the Incinerator drop these at a 30% rate.

He is located in Molten Core as the 7th boss.

The Dark Iron Bar can be melted by a miner at 230+ using x8 Dark Iron Ore which can be found around & inside the Blackrock Mountain.
    Although you can't smelt the ore into a bar wherever you like, you need to be in BRD. You can only smelt Dark Iron Ore at the forge right outside the Molten Core.
    To smelt a total of 20 Dark Iron Bars, you need 160 Dark Iron Ore.

You need 50 Arcanite Bars to craft the Sulfuron Hammer, to obtain one Arcanite Bar you need one Thorium Bar & one Arcane Crystal
    To smelt one Thorium Bar you need one Thorium Ore which is simply mined from Thorium Veins found in all level 50-60 places of Azeroth, I prefer Un'goro or Silithus for Thorium farming undoubtly.
    Thorium however, can be smelted at any forge, not just the forge in BRD.
    The Arcane crystal are mined from the Thorium veins, together with the thorium ore.

To craft the Arcanite Bar, you need an alchemy at 275+ to transmute it for you. Although the recipe for the Arcanite Bar is easy to obtain, you can't just train it at the teacher therefore not all alchemists at 275+ will have it.
    You can buy the recipe at this vendor in Tanaris for 5g. Alchemist Pestlezugg - NPC - World of Warcraft
    Recipe: Transmute Arcanite - Item - World of Warcraft

The Essence of Fire is very simple to obtain. It drops from mobs, the best mobs to farm out of experience at the elementals in the Un'goro crater Scorching Elemental - NPC - World of Warcraft & Living Blaze - NPC - World of Warcraft
    However this item will also drop from most mobs within Molten Core which means you will most likely have alot of them while farming for the Eye of Sulfuras explained later in the guide, so I'd put this item on your last priority list.
    I've also seen that this item can be fished in OS, although I can't confirm this but you might give it a try or confirm it for me.

This item drop from the Molten Destroyers in Molten Core, it's those fat, lava dudes. Molten Destroyer - NPC - World of Warcraft
    It can also be mined from Dark Iron veins, you should, just like the Essence of Fire, get those while you're farming for the Eye of Sulfuras & Sulfuron Ingots.

The Lava Core drop from a few mobs inside Molten Core, containing Lava Surger, Lava Annihilator, Molten Destroyer, Lava Reaver, Lava Elemental, Garr & Golemagg the Incinerator.
    Just like the two previous items you should get this while farming for the Eye of Sulfuras.

The Fiery Core drop from a few mobs inside Molten Core, containing Baron Geddon, Firewalker, Flameguard, Firelord & Molten Destroyer.
    Just like the previous three items you should get this while farming for the Eye of Sulfuras.

Now that you have all the reagents, now what? You need the Eye of Sulfuras which is what makes this mace so rare (legendary).
    Eye of Sulfuras are plain and straight forward to obtain, Ragnaros drop it.
    But what makes this shit so rare is the drop chance of the Eye of Sulfuras.
    It have a drop chance between 2-3% and Molten Core have a 7 day reset timer before you can run it again.
    So theoretical you should see one eye drop every 33th/50th Molten Core run, of course you can be lucky and obtain it your first run, but that's just luck and nothing you should rely on.

Well, now you have everything, the Eye of Sulfuras, the Sulfuron Hammer, what now?
    It's simple, just click the Eye of Sulfuras and you will attach the Eye to the Sulfuron hammer, therefore creating the Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros.

Good luck, hope I helped!

Abhorsenjay described in his thread how to get the Shadowforge key, I asked if I could copy his text at that point and paste it here, link to his thread; http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-gu...forge-key.html

Originally Posted by abhorsenjay View Post
    SUBGUIDE - SHADOWFORGE KEY

Alright nubcake, clearly you were asleep during the last... oh I don't know... three years? Or you would have had this sweet mother of all keys right now. Have no fear though, I shall guide your nubly butt through the process (I will skim the essentials and provide a link to a full guide, don't want to take anybody's credit).

Get to Blackrock mountain. Now go look at your investment portfolio. Notice all those failing stocks? Excellent, now that you are feeling somewhat suicidal and masochistic go jump in the lava and kill yourself. As a ghost run back and travel down the chain to the center pillar. Go inside this pillar and keep following the path, eventually you'll come across a dead guy who you can talk to. Talk to this guy and grab his quest.

For the sake of convenience I will assume you know how to find Blackrock Depths (will also post link to another guide in case you don't). Go inside and head straight. Clear your way up and make to the Halls of Law (refer to map earlier in this guide). There is a room on your left with High Interrogator Gerstahn. Kill him for the Prison Cell key.

Take your first right to the detention block and go into the ring of law. A survival event will start, just keep killing the mobs that spawn. After this go through the door on your left and up the ramp. You are now in the East Garrison. Take down the mobs and take a very hard right. The door you are going through will lead you to right above where you just fought (the upper Ring of Law). Don't talk to the Spectators, they are cranky and like to kill people like you.

Head left and take the door. Go down the ramp and kill the mobs. Once that is clear take a left. You will be heading towards a bridge with two fire elementals on each side. Clear the mobs and hug the left wall to go into another room. Once you turn the corner, straight ahead there will be a doorway. Continue around the circle, go through the second door on the right. Once through the doorway clear the boss and his mobs. Ironfel is a wandering mob, kill him.

Go back the way came, to that ramp down from the upper part of the ring of law. Take a right, around the corner at the end of the hall is a statue. Put Ironfel on the statue. Grats, you now have the shadowforge key.

For an even more detailed guide see here:
    Thottbot > Comments > Items > Shadowforge Key > The story - Thottbot: World of Warcraft

Quest: Dark Iron Legacy

Vid, not by me, thought it might help:
    YouTube - Shadowforge Key

I did my best to paraphrase and interpret.

Cheers!

Thanks to:
    Abhorsenjay For inspiration and help with the Shadowforge Key.
    Wowwiki For confirmation and help.
    Wowhead For itemlinks.
    Last edited by Vinland; 04-09-2010 at 05:33 PM.

[How to]Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros
    Flarian's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seems like a well put-together guide +rep from me

Jicre's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well written guide!
    This will definitely help me well.

mag1212's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very great guide

Trollblod's Avatar Elite drone
    Thanks G/R
    2/7
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments!
    Spent alot of time on this.

Th3Boss's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good guide, though old info and easy to find on wowhead

abhorsenjay's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide and well written, always wanted to get this but never had the energy to figure it all out. +Rep from me. Also I liked the bit with the shadowforge key. Clearly the author must be a genius of some sort, I hope he gets lavish praise along with many women.
    Backups? We don't *NEED* no steenking baX%^~,VbKx NO CARRIER

Cheat'R's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide, but I don't feel like going through the work to get the item. I especially liked the descriptive beginning =)

+Rep

Moroar's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    detailed guide!

Thanks G/R
    2/7
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by abhorsenjay View Post
    Nice guide and well written, always wanted to get this but never had the energy to figure it all out. +Rep from me. Also I liked the bit with the shadowforge key. Clearly the author must be a genius of some sort, I hope he gets lavish praise along with many women.
    Lol, gotta admit I laughed abit there

Kitsuji's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THANK YOU FOR THIS *Bows* I was wanting to get this for my pally, for kicks. And, FINALLY I KNOW HOW.. Without all the looking xD Thanks.

Ziddy1337's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    4/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide, even though it is covering content which is 5 years old and therefore obsolete. Nice nonetheless +Rep

Thanks G/R
    2/7
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Ziddy™ View Post
    Nice guide, even though it is covering content which is 5 years old and therefore obsolete. Nice nonetheless +Rep
    Indeed, but it's still a weapon people endeavour for.

MikhailM's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a very well written guide.

However the number of materials you posted are wrong on some of them.

You also don't have to craft the hammer yourself.

Thanks G/R
    2/7
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by MikhailM View Post
    This is a very well written guide.
    Thanks.

However the number of materials you posted are wrong on some of them.
    Please point out what numbers are wrong so I may fix that.

You also don't have to craft the hammer yourself.
    I never stated that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast