85/470
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ubuntu based botting and detection

Not planning on botting, just curious currently.

Are there any linux based bots for wow? bot would probably need to be pixel bot because of Lutris, Wine, and VKD3D.

if a bot was made for linux, would it be more, or less, detectable?

(don't post things I post to Patreon.)

Ubuntu based botting and detection
    Narache's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    6/7
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I made myself as a pet project a bot for linux. It is very efficient :

• You can do the injection in-process directly by injecting your code in a opensource directx overlay (such a DXVK).
    • Very easy to disable 3d rendering (can launch more than 20 wow clients on a cheap xeon cpu)
    • Benefit from all the linux environment for monitoring of system resources usage
    • Can create a kernel module to to hardware breakpoints into wow process (totally undetected)
    • Mock some windows Windows API to prevent detection (as wine is opensource...)

I don't know if you can do all those on windows (mocking system calls is possible? Avoiding detection using HW breakpoints?) but as I'm a developper in real life and use only linux...

Working with linux worked way better for me at least
    Last edited by Narache; 01-20-2020 at 12:36 PM.

3. Thanks Krack3n, klumpen (2 members gave Thanks to Narache for this useful post)
    klumpen's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    31/12
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Narache View Post
    Yes, I made myself as a pet project a bot for linux. It is very efficient :

• You can do the injection in-process directly by injecting your code in a opensource directx overlay (such a DXVK).
    • Very easy to disable 3d rendering (can launch more than 20 wow clients on a cheap xeon cpu)
    • Benefit from all the linux environment for monitoring of system resources usage
    • Can create a kernel module to to hardware breakpoints into wow process (totally undetected)
    • Mock some windows Windows API to prevent detection (as wine is opensource...)

I don't know if you can do all those on windows (mocking system calls is possible? Avoiding detection using HW breakpoints?) but as I'm a developper in real life and use only linux...

Working with linux worked way better for me at least
    Fellow dev here. Would you care to expand on the disabling of 3D rendering? I've searched around and found no other claims of disabling 3D altogether. Exotic!
    I've put in the mileage to split my laptops iGPU into virtual ones. That gives me enough juice to run about 3-4 VMs with a set of WoW clients within. Disabling 3D altogether and ramping up the client numbers is def. something I'd be interested in. Straight-up GPU passthrough works like a charm @ home on the desktop.

The point about injecting code directly into DXVK, I'd love to hear some more nitty gritty details about that too.

All in all, I would love to see an expansion on all of the bullet points above.

Thanks. With some more work, I might just be able to drop most of the virtualization/Windows layer. That'd be, _sweet_.

TehVoyager's Avatar I just love KuRIoS
    Thanks G/R
    85/470
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm honestly surprised there isn't a lot more interest in botting from Linux. it would have to make detection _REALLY_ hard for Blizzard.

(don't post things I post to Patreon.)

Jadd's Avatar 🐸 Premium Seller
    Thanks G/R
    81/333
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any hypervisor would provide the same benefits, it doesn't necessarily have to be Linux. You could use one above a Windows install and skip the (albeit small) overhead of wine.

@Narache, you can indeed do all the things you mentioned on Windows including directly hooking syscalls (provided PatchGuard is disabled) or there's some instrumentation functions which can be used in unintended ways to alter their results.