Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick Race/Gender Change (WoW 1.12.1)

YouTube playlist with video tutorials

Vanilla WoW Race/Gender Swap Tutorial - YouTube

Features

- It takes just a few minuts to make a complete race/gender swap.
    - Doesn't affect NPCs except for hair textures.
    - Potentially no glitches for player's characters.
    - Works with WoW 1.12.1 client.

Tools

First of all you'll need these two programs:

- MyDbcEditor 1.2.2
    - MyWarCraftStudio 0.10.6337

Extract .dbc Files

Start MyWarCraftStudio, click "File", "Open MPQ Archive..." then browse to your WoW “Data” folder (ex. “C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Data”) and open “patch-2.MPQ” file. Once opened you'll see a list of folders to the left of the window. Click on the plus “+” symbol next to “DBFilesClient” folder, so you'll see a list of “.dbc” files below it. Right click on “CreatureDisplayInfo.dbc” and click to “Extract File To...”, then choose whatever location you want, it doesn't matter.

We're done with “patch-2.MPQ”, now click on “File”, “Open MPQ Archive” and open “patch.MPQ” instead. Click on the plus “+” symbol next to “DBFilesClient” folder, right click on “CharacterFacialHairStyles.dbc” and extract it. Then do the same with “ChrRaces.dbc” and “CharSections.dbc”. So at this point we should have these four files:

- CharacterFacialHairStyles.dbc (from “patch.MPQ”)
    - CharSections.dbc (from “patch.MPQ”)
    - ChrRaces.dbc (from “patch.MPQ”)
    - CreatureDisplayInfo.dbc (from “patch-2.MPQ”)

Make a backup of these files, we'll need them to make race/gender change patches. So if you don't make a backup now then you'll need to extract them again every time you want to make a new patch.

Race Swap

- Edit “ChrRaces.dbc”

Start MyDbcEditor, click “File”, “Open” and select “ChrRaces.dbc”. Let's say we want to make humans characters (not NPCs) look like Night Elves, then we're going to replace “Hu” with “Ni” in the first row, seventh column. Now click “File” and “Save”. What we've done here is replacing Human helms models with Night Elves ones, becouse every race has different helms models, with different size and/or shape.
    For the next step we'll also need to check the fifth and sixth columns. Here you'll see the creature model IDs. So for example Human male is 49 (row 1 column 5) and Human female is 50 (row 1 column 6), while Night Elves are 55 male and 56 female (row 4 column 5 and 6).

- Edit “CreatureDisplayInfo.dbc”

Open “CreatureDisplayInfo.dbc” with MyDbcEditor. To make our Human character look like a Night Elf we'll need replace Human model infos with the Night Elf ones. Click “Edit”, “Go to ID...” type “55” and click “OK”. Right click on row 55 (any column), click “Copy line to...” type 49 and click “OK”. We've replaced row 49 infos (Human male) with row 55 infos (Night Elf male), so now we'll do the same for female characters. Right click on row 56 (any column), click “Copy line to...” type 50 and click “OK”. Now click “File” and “Save”.

- Edit “CharSections.dbc”

Open “CharSections.dbc” with MyDbcEditor. This file contains all the infos about characters' textures. Right click on row one column 7 then click to “Replace in Column...”, type “Human” (when it says “Search for:”), click “OK” then “NightElf” (when it says “New Value:”), click “OK”, another informative window will pop-up, just click “OK” again. Do this same procedure for column 8 and 9 too, just remember to right click on the first row or you wont edit the entire column. After you edited all three columns click “File” and “Save”.

Usually this should be enough except for Taurens. In fact they use extra textures for horns and hooves, so if we want our character to look like a tauren we need to add these textures paths, or remove them if we want to swap from Tauren to another race. Right click column 7, click “Search Column...”, type “TaurenMaleSkin” and click “OK”. Now in column 8 you'll see a file path like “Character\Tauren\Male\TaurenMaleSkin00_00_Extra.blp” and in the row below “Character\Tauren\Male\TaurenMaleSkin00_03_Extra.blp” and so on. If you're swapping from another race to Tauren then you'll have to copy these file paths to your actual race rows. For example for Humans you'll “Search Column...” for “HumanMaleSkin” and copy the extra texture path next to it in column 8 (I suggest you to do this before replacing “Human” with “Tauren”, it'll make things easier), then do the same for all ther other extra textures paths below. In case you're swapping from Tauren to another race then simply delete all the extra textures paths in column 8.

- Edit “CharacterFacialHairStyles.dbc “

You wont need to edit this file for most race swaps, but some races like Undeads or Gnomes will need it. I'll make a quick description of the table so you'll know what we're going to edit here. The first column is for race ID, so 1 is for Human, 2 Orc, 5 Undead (Scourge), etc. (just like in“ChrRaces.dbc”). Second column is for gender, 0 is male and 1 is female. In the third column you'll find the beard style number or some other facial elements like jaws for Undeads. The last three colums will tell the client which 3D models it should use for certain styles. For example if your Human male toon has beard style 1 (in column 3) then the client will render it with a combination of the last 3 columns.

The best way to edit this without getting glitches is to replace the values in the last three columns of your character race with the ones you'll find in the last three columns of the race you wish to swap to. For example to change Human to Night Elf you'll copy all the values from the last three columns with row ID 4 (Night Elf race ID, check “ChrRaces.dbc”), to the last three columns with row ID 1. But you also need to care about the gender, so while copying values from a race to another you also need to check if it's male (column 2 value 0) or female (column 2 value 1). So the combination of the last three columns' values for male characters might not be the same as the female ones and vice versa, so be sure to check the gender ID (column 2) too, and copy the appropriate values.

You'll notice that there's a different combination of values for the last three columns based on the facial elements style number (column 3), and that certain races have more style numbers than others. But it doesn't matter, what does matter is that you choose at least one combination for the last three columns that works with that race. For example if you want to swap from Human to Night Elf then you can use the male Night Elf style 0 combination of the last three columns (1, 1, 1) for all the other Human male styles, this way it's gonna be quicker but all characters will have the same facial elements combination. But the important thing is that you replace all the old Human values with the Night Elf ones in those last three columns.

Like I said you wont need to edit this unless your race swap regards Undeads or Gnomes, but all races are affected by this file anyway, so if you see some weird stuff like holes in your character's face instead of beard, missing jaws, or any weird or missing facial elements (not textures, just 3D elements) then you should probably edit this file.

Gender Swap

- Edit “CreatureDisplayInfo.dbc”

Open “CreatureDisplayInfo.dbc” with MyDbcEditor. To make our Human male character look like a female we'll need replace Human male model infos with the female ones. Click “Edit”, “Go to ID...” type “50” and click “OK”. Right click on row 50 (any column), click “Copy line to...” type 49 and click “OK”. So we've replaced row 49 infos (Human male) with row 50 infos (Human female). Now click “File” and “Save”.

- Edit “CharSections.dbc”

Open “CharSections.dbc” with MyDbcEditor. Right click on row one column 7 then click to “Replace in Column...”, type “Male\HumanMale” (when it says “Search for:”), click “OK” then “Female\HumanFemale” (when it says “New Value:”), click “OK”, another informative window will pop-up, just click “OK” again. Do this same procedure for column 8 then save.

Just like for Taurens, female characters have extra textures so we need to add or remove them in case we're swapping from male to female or vice versa. Right click column 7, click “Search Column...”, type “HumanFemaleNaked” and click “OK”. Now in column 8 you'll see a file path like “Character\Human\Female\HumanFemaleNakedTorsoSkin00_00.blp” and in the row below “Character\Human\Female\HumanFemaleNakedTorsoSkin00_01.blp” and so on. If you're swapping from male to female then you'll have to copy these file paths to your actual gender rows. For example for Humans male you'll “Search Column...” for “HumanMaleNaked” and copy the extra texture path next to it in column 8, then do the same for all ther other extra textures paths below. In case you're swapping from female to male then simply delete all the extra textures paths in column 8.

- Edit “CharacterFacialHairStyles.dbc “

Just like the race swap editing, you'll only need to modify the values in the last three columns. For example if you want to change from Human male to female you'll have to copy the values from the last three columns (columns 7, 8 and 9) with first row ID 1 (Human ID) and second column value 1 (female) to the last three columns with first row ID 1 (Human ID) and second column value 0 (male). Like I said already, it doesn't matter if you copy all the combinations for the last three columns to their opposite gender corresponding, you can just choose a single combination and copy it to all the rows for that certain race/gender, this way it's gonna be quicker but all characters will have the same facial elements combination.

- Helms fix

I'm not going to explain this with too many details becouse most of times you should not need to add this fix. Anyways in case you notice some glitches about your helms (like they look too small or large), you can follow this procedure. Open “model.MPQ” with MyWarCraftStudio, browse to “Item\ObjectComponents\Head” and extract all its content. Then open “patch.MPQ” and do the same, overwrite the files with same name. And last open “patch-2.MPQ” and do the same. At this point you should have a folder called “Head” with all the helms 3D models.

As you can see the helms have names like “Helm_Blindfold_A_01_DwF.m2” where “DwF” stands for Dwarf female. Let's say we want to switch from Human male to female, then we're going to duplicate all the “..._HuF.m2” files and rename these copies like “..._HuM.m2”, so we'll have female helms 3D models but with male file names. This way we're going to trick our client and make it render female helms on our male characters with female appearance.

Create the Patch

Once you've edited all the files you need then you'll have to make a “patch.MPQ” file with them to be able to see their effect in the game. So first of all you'll need to create a new folder and call it “DBFilesClient”, move in it all the .dbc files you just edited (CharacterFacialHairStyles, CharSections, ChrRaces and CreatureDisplayInfo). Go on MyWarCraftStudio, click on “Pack” then “Create MPQ archive” and name it “patch-3.mpq”. Right click on the blank space to the left side of the window and click “Import Folder...”, browse to your “DBFilesClient” folder with the edited .dbc files, open it and double click on one of them, doesn't matter which one becouse all of them will be imported anyway.

If you also have made the helm fix for gender swap then create a new folder (anywhere on your computer) and name it “Item”, then inside it create another folder called “ObjectComponents” and inside this last folder move the “Head” folder you made before with all the edited .m2 helms files. Inside “Item” folder you'll also have to create a blank file (ex. a notepad file) and call it “import”. Now go back to MyWarCraftStudio while you're creating “patch-3.mpq”, right click “DBFilesClient” folder you created before and click “Import Folder...”, browse to “Item” folder you just made and double click on the blank file you named “import”.

At this point your patch is complete and you can save it, click on “Pack” and then “Save and Close Archive”. Now you can copy your “patch-3.mpq” to your WoW “Data” folder (ex. “C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Data”), but before starting the game remember to empty your “WDB” folder (ex. “C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WDB”), this is the game cache folder and you wont be able to see your patch changes unless you empty it.

Extra Infos

- Race and gender swap

If you want to change both race and gender you can do it, simply mix the instructions I gave you for the single procedures. Just try to make a single patch with all the changes you want to make, if you create multiple patches that affect the same .bdc files then the newer patch will just overwirte the older one.

- NPCs' glitches

NPCs are almost not affected by this patch, except for some of their hair and beards textures. Unfortunately NPCs use the same .dbc files and textures paths as the player's characters for some of their hair and beards models, and I couldn't find any way to fix this without editing every single NPC one by one.

- Characters' glitches

Player's characters have potentially no glitches, but it depends on which race swap you're trying to do. For example Gnomes have very few skin colors combinations compared to Humans, so when you swap from Human to Gnome there's a high chance that your skin is going to be missing, and you'll see your character with a really messed up skin texture. On the other hand when you swap from a race with less skins than the new one then you'll be fine 100% no glitches.

To fix this kind of problem you should edit manually “CharSections.dbc” and replace all the wrong textures paths with the right number, like for the Human Gnome example “Character\Gnome\Male\GnomeSkin00_09.blp” should be renamed to “Character\Gnome\Male\GnomeMaleSkin00_04.blp” or any number from 1 to 4. And then the same with all the other facial skins and hair. But this would take alot of time and effort.

- Thanks for reading

Despite the long explaination this is probably the quickest way to make a proper race and/or gender swap. I figured out this method by myself so I don't know if someone else already did it or if there's a better way to do it, anyways I hope this may be helpful to someone. Cheers!

Feel free to contact me via email at [email protected] or check my new site WoWmorph.net.
    Last edited by laneveforum; 08-23-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Updated links

Quick Race/Gender Change (WoW 1.12.1)
  2. Thanks yungharoldx, Rablenof, eSko, muou3300 (4 members gave Thanks to laneveforum for this useful post)
    laneveforum's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    1/17
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added ten video tutorials.

zgbjmy2008's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I't is great and hopefule to me !! thank you!!!

yungharoldx's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the helpful guide, I'm wondering if anyone knows if you're able to model edit different hairstyles. Eg instead of it going automatically from human male hairstyle 1 to male undead hairstyle 1 that I can edit it so that my hairstyle (1) is changed to a different one (hairstyle 2, 3 etc.)

Rablenof's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let me just start off by saying thank you for taking the time to create such a detailed guide, especially the videos. This kind of guide was great for someone like me whose only hands on experience with model changing is through T-morph and programs of that sort, Model changing has been on my mind again ever since I saw Perplexity's newest pvp movie (I'm guessing that he has done something similar to this? feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.) and since Kronos is still down I figured that now would be the perfect time to give it a try.

It's highly possible that I screwed up somewhere along the way but after I put the patch-3 file into the Data folder, cleaned the WDB and launched the game, nothing happened. I get no errors, no glitches occur, no nothing.

I'm going to give it another try later today, I'm trying to change my Orc Male to a Nightelf Female, hopefully It was something on my end? I'll make sure to edit my post if I get it to work!

konneman's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont know how to delete the post.
    Last edited by konneman; 07-10-2016 at 07:38 AM.

konneman's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *Dont know how to delete post.
    Last edited by konneman; 07-10-2016 at 07:38 AM.

konneman's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please man, ive been trying your guide now over 50 times, i rly want it to work. I have no idea what im doing wrong, i get no errors no nothing. I first start Mywarcraftstudios, i extract Patch-2. i click into "DBFilesClient" then i extract to the "CreaturedisplayInfo.dbc". Then i Extract Patch. and extract the "charsections" - > "characterfacialhairstyles" -- > last one "CHRraces". Then i just Close.

Then i have 4 dbc files.

I do simple test and open up "ChrRaces" and change HU - NI.

I then open up MywarcraftStudious AGAIN, Create MPQ-file called "patch-3.MPQ". I then import folder and import the 4 dbc files from my folder called "DBFilesClient". I Click on save then Close mywarcraftstudios, i then go to the Data folder and paste my "patch-3.MPQ" file. Then i delete the things inside WDB folder. Then i Click on Wow.exe but NOTHING HAPPENS. Please anyone tell me, what am i doing wrong?

Venix77's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is some really good stuff. Thanks for the guide! I'm having some problems doing the helm fix after fixing from Female Night Elf to Male Tauren. I seem to have the Female Tauren model for helms and i can't seem to get it working. Any tips on which files I should overwrite with what in this case?
    Last edited by Venix77; 07-11-2016 at 02:40 AM.