Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to get m2 Files out of Cataclysm Client?

Hi guys,

after successfully adding some new Mounts (Feldrake, HoA, Warforged Nightmare) with already finished m2/skin/anim Files, i want to try to do it on my own.

So the last days i tried and tried to extract the damn m2 files and other data i need from my cataclysm client.

But i still cant even figure out, how to use this cascexplorer/cascview/whatever. I wrote a listfile for the things i want out of the MPQs. (ex.: DBFilesClient\spell.dbc)

I also tried opening the MPQs via Ladik's MPQ Editor, it opens it up but its (incomplete) [Read-only] and there are many unknown file types. After this i tried it with WMV 0706 for Mists of Pandaria changed game path to my Mop Client folder and as result: Could not read MPQs.

In CascExplorer it doesn't matter which Client i try to open (tried Wotlk, Cata, Mop) it always says "Invalid Game Storage".

So my Questions are:

Does CascExplorer needs to be placed in drive C:\?

How does the perfect Setup for CascExplorer/Cascview looks like? (Path, Folders, etc)

Does CascExplorer only works with current BfA?

Do i need to copy the WoW Data Folder into Cascexplorer? Or can i leave it somewhere else?

Does Cascexplorer has a config file, that needs to be edited to match the patch for my Client(s)?

I read something about a Build.info-file, but the only one i found was in my current bfa (8.2) Client folder. I neither have one for cata, nor for mop. Do i need this file in my CataData Folder to finally get CascExplorer reading this damn things?

Is there another way to easily extract the m2, skins and blps?

I hope you guys can help me a little bit out, its really frustrating spending hours and hours reading tutorials /watching videos about retroporting and trying, trying, and can't make this **** working...

Big Thanks in Advance

Orbitore
    Last edited by Orbitore; 07-09-2019 at 04:06 AM.

How to get m2 Files out of Cataclysm Client?
    Method's Avatar Contributor Modding Enthusiast CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    2/29
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Information for you:

- MPQ's are like .rar's or .7z. They're archives that contain files that are read by the game.
    - MPQ's were replaced with CASC as blizzards archive format in 2014. (WoD 6.0)
    - before upgrading to CASC they used MPQ. (1.1 - 5.4)
    - You require an MPQeditor, not a CASCexplorer.
    - Ladiks MPQ editor is the most commonly used.

The following information applies to 1.12.1 vanilla:

- Inside the model.MPQ archive you will find M2's for each race
    - inside texture.MPQ you will find .blp's for each race.

Information about CASCexplorer:
    - CASCexplorer as the name may imply does NOT allow you to extract from a CASC. It simply allows you to explore the files contained within it.

Answering your questions:

"Does CASCexplorer needs to be placed in drive C:\?"
    No, it can be placed anywhere.

"How does the perfect Setup for CASCexplorer/Cascview looks like? (Path, Folders, etc)"
    CASCexplorer is unaffected by it's install location.

"Does CASCexplorer only work with current BfA?"
    CASCexplorer is intended to be used with all CASC files from WoD (2014, 6.0) onwards.

"Do i need to copy the WoW Data Folder into CASCexplorer? Or can i leave it somewhere else?"
    The CASC file in your WoW directory will be opened and be made viewable by CASCexplorer.

"Does CASCexplorer have a config file, that needs to be edited to match the patch for my Client(s)?"
    No.

"I read something about a Build.info-file, ... Do i need this file in my CataData Folder to finally get CASCexplorer to read it?""
    No.

"Is there another way to easily extract the m2, skins and blps?"
    CASCexplorer is not intended to be used to extract the contents of a CASC.
    Last edited by Method; 07-09-2019 at 05:16 AM.

Orbitore's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoW!
    Big thanks for your detailed reply

I tried opening the model.mpq from MoP via Ladiks MPQ Editor, it opens up (with attributes incomplete and read-only), how can i manage to find out which Filexxxxxxx.m2 is for what purpose? There also many files off type "Unknown File Type".
    I cant extract the (listfile) that's inside of this MPQ. :/ I think what would give some information?

Also tried the same with an world.mpq from Cata Client (dont have a model.mpq here): same result only with more Unknown File Types.

About your edit:

So, if i understand you, and only want to display infos with CascExplorer from a bfa/legion/wod client, why does it always says "Invalid Game Storage" Doesnt matter which one i choose?
    Incase i wanted to extract models from bfa/legion/wod how can i get them, if i cant use MPQ Editor for it?

Method's Avatar Contributor Modding Enthusiast CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    2/29
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When files within an MPQ are unnamed or unorganized often this means that you are missing the standard Listfile for that version of the game.

When you provide MPQeditor with the matching listfile for your data, it will be able to list, organise and identify otherwise cryptically named or unknown files.

On this page, there is a download for a 5.x World of Warcraft Listfile (at the bottom, in a .rar) which should be usable with 5.x MoP. It also contains a listfile for 4.x Cata: MPQ Archives - Downloads

"when I open CASC files from a BfA/Legion/WoD client, why does it always says "Invalid Game Storage"?"
    It shouldn't do this if you use the respective CASC listfile.
    Last edited by Method; 07-09-2019 at 05:43 AM.

Orbitore's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I needed to Click the Add Listfile button, didnt saw him before...

With the Listfiles you sent (thank you for that) its loading the most of the names and folders in the MPQ, but when i try to extract these/one of them, the Editor Crashes with "Cant extract file..." and i have to close it manually via Task-Manager. I also tried starting it "as Administrator" but that changes nothing.

EDIT: Problem solved. I downloaded new full clients for MoP and Cata and now i can extract everything i want. Thanks @Method for the informations and your time.
    Last edited by Orbitore; 07-10-2019 at 07:37 AM. Reason: SOLVED