Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Outerend, Wielder of the Great Dark - RELEASED!

IT'S DONE

You face an otherworldly device - a staff-like contraption draining energy from what appears to be a planet. Drawing closer, you can see an enormous amount of detail in the globe, as if you stand in front of a door to the universe itself, ripping through the fabric of time and space. There's a careful craftsmanship in the artifact, apparently originating from the Titans, although the energy being emanated is unlike anything you've ever seen.

Compelled by curiosity, you reach for the planet with your arm, longing to hold it, to feel an entire world in your hands. However, as you move towards it, the planet appears to be further and further away. You realize you're miles - no, thousands, thousands of miles away from it. As you stretch your arm in a last glimpse of hope you only realize how truly small it is compared to the vast greatness of the Dark Beyond.

For a moment you thought yourself a God, thinking you could crush an entire world if that was your wish. You now gaze upon the invention, realizing in front of you lies an object - no, an entity - far beyond your comprehension. You hold it and feel a great surge of power invading your body.

For a moment, you thought yourself a God.

Outerend is my latest custom model, a Titan-themed Staff/Mace. If you haven't checked yet, please take a look at my previous model, Magmadeep. There are two versions of the model, one with and one without the universe behind.

This was a fairly ambitious model. I wanted to make something heavy, see how far WoW engine could go. The model itself is EXTREMELY resource-intensive. I'll talk a bit about it:

The Model

Outerend is a staff with a planet in the end, where it's draining its energies from. The planet has a simulated atmospheric refraction on the surface and (to a lesser extent) atmospheric halo. It rotates and you can see some major waves in the water from time to time. There's also a Cloud layer moving across the surface.

If you're using the Universe version, behind (and always behind) the planet there's always an universe field with some stars and galaxies on the background. They move around, but not at the same time... some stars move slower than others, etc. You'll most likely not want to use the universe version because it's distracting, but I recommend testing it at least once to see the effect.

The body of the staff itself follows the Titans theme and color scheme, although because of the effects I used it will definitely resemble a bit the Protoss theme from Starcraft 2... not my fault they're so similar. The metal uses my metal shader as described in this thread, with modifications to suit the model.

There's a grand total of 20 textures for this model. Yes, I know it's not feasible to make a game entirely of textures like this, no, it's not optimal, yes, the file size is huge and my next models will probably not be so intensive like this one. Every single texture has been painted by hand - NO photos or pre-made textures were used, even for the Cloud layer. The only texture that wasn't painted by hand is the Ambient Occlusion map, but it's also not a photo, just a render from mathematical calculations.

Screenshots:

Screenshots don't really do much justice. If anyone can record a video, I'll appreciate.

Download:

Version 1.0:
    There are two versions, with the universe background and without.

No Universe: Download here
    Universe: Download here

How to use:

1) Download the file of your choice.
    2) Locate the file name of the weapon you want to change it. You can use a viewer such as WoW Model Viewer to find the weapon.
    3) Open the file you downloaded in a MPQ editor such as Ladik's MPQ Editor or any other of your preference.
    4) Browse to the folder ITEM > ObjectComponents > Weapon in the file. Rename the .m2 file to the name of the file corresponding to your weapon you got in step 2. Change the .skin file to that same name, except with 00 in the end (so if the file is genericweapon1, the m2 will be genericweapon1.m2 and the skin will be genericweapon100.skin).
    5) DO NOT touch any other file in the mpq!
    6) Rename the MPQ to patch-x.MPQ. For example, patch-6.MPQ
    7) Drop the file in the Data folder in your WoW directory. Don't overwrite anything, if the number you chose for the MPQ file is already used, choose one that isn't.
    Enjoy!

Note: I DO NOT DO CUSTOM MODEL SWAPS. I WILL NOT MAKE A CUSTOM MPQ FOR YOU. DO >NOT< ASK ME. There ARE MPQ editors that work in Mac.

Other:

Any questions feel free to ask. I'll not do any custom changes to a weapon. I will however try to fix any issues if something is preventing you from changing it correctly. I ask patience if there's any issue or bug. I'll upload new versions if I update the item.

Thank you very much for your interest. As always, C&C is duly appreciated.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Bloomfalls; 06-20-2018 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Updating dead links

Outerend, Wielder of the Great Dark
    Demonshade's Avatar get in da van, i got epix

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice but i think it could look more bad ass :P. A suggestion i am going to make is instead of having the weird large thing in the middle of the staff go for a smaller planet size, and make it maybe 4/5th way up the staff with more stuff surrounding it ontop. Look at some of the end game BC staffs, there are some really sweet hover style staffs. Or if your going for the planet being on the end maybe think of making the large thing towards to middle a little more stylish.
    /AFK shower

Goshujinsama's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i kinda have to agree with demon. it looks pretty plain .. and knowing your skills this could be so much more awesome. the problem is the idea of a staff with some kind of energy source on top being drained is a pretty standard idea. Even i made of those designs way back. So the only thing you can do to dress up that concept is to make it look badass, detailed and give some toughed to how the energy is taken from in your case the planet and make that as original as possible.

If you would think "logical" about your concept now your basicly saying, you take the energy from the planet which powers up the mace and thats why its so powerfull. But the weird thing is if you would hit with the mace as it is now you would actaully smash the planet into people sins its the area of contact, but doing so you would destroy your power source, which in eyes seems pretty important. so i also suggest you do something with the "hover style" like staffs/maces demon mentioned. I would Think up a system that would convert the energy taken from the planet to be send to some device hovering on to of it actaully making it look like the planet is some type of battery. also because its a titan styled staff. take a good look at the textures used in uldar and copy/inspire yourself with some of the decoration used in walls (patterns and such). I also know that in stormy peaks in wow are a few areas where you can enter mountains and it looks as if your in a big machine. that might be some good stuff too.

anyways thats my 50 cents .. i am such a details whore when it comes to weapons xD

DA: http:thedarkhell.deviantart.com

Bloomfalls's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with what you guys are saying about the handle. However, the concept there is just a color sketch focused, well, in the colors. I'll detail more the body of the object, should be making a new concept tomorrow, hopefully will be better!

Goshu, if you read the description, if you hit someone with it you should damage him with the spatial distortion. The planet is forever thousands of miles distant from any object nearby so when you strike something with it, the damage comes from the distortion. At least that was my idea for the concept.

Demon I like your idea, I'll work on something like that. Thanks!

Anyway here's fun time, WIP for the planet! This is still just a WIP, it will feature more details.

Last edited by Bloomfalls; 05-19-2010 at 04:17 AM.

Toyoka's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's in-game I believe?! Amazing! omgepic
    ~ "When you find it hard doing right in what you do, you've got a problem" ~

Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is in game, yes! I've got some even better screenshots, but I'm fixing the Clouds for now, not very happy with their shadows.
    The globe as always is 100% hand painted.

Anyway, here's one of my sketches for the body:

Builtokill's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job so far, can't wait for this it would be awesome if the globe spun slowly as well.

Toyoka's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's what hes attempting to show off in the sketch Very nicely thought out, I hope to see more progress soon
    ~ "When you find it hard doing right in what you do, you've got a problem" ~

Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the model is finished for now. Here's a screenshot of it in Max:

ximen's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Omg:3 Epic, Have some cookies.

UnexorableUS's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You and your work are just amazing. I love Magmadeep, and am very much looking forward to this! Bravo!

Larsenrofl's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is awesome

Breakdawn's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the coolest thing I have seen created for wow, that wasn't created by blizzard.. I pray for you guys to keep it going and releasing those outstanding creations!

Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And it's update time. Here is the progress:

Breakdawn's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R