0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure, but I think I have news.

So, I was browsing the nogg-aholic forums as always and I come across a forum post that put me off a bit. I only saw it once it had been edited by the mods (rightfully so too), but I gathered that it was about someone who says that a certain file in the DBC files is being removed, moved, altered, or whatever serverside. I have no evidence except a cryptic forum post that's now all but non existent, but I think that It meant that taxipathnode.dbc(the one that allows minipulation of Zeppelin paths) is being altered.

Now, normally I wouldn't make anything of such doomspeakers, but with the recent surge of GM Island, and the perma bans, the new(relatively speaking) Warden owning up hackers everywhere, and the advent of Overrated being banned over model changing, makes me think that eventually, blizzard will want to stop losing customers and eventually switch to a system where the customers just don't have a chance to abuse the system. It could be soon, it could be never, but all I know is that something may happen.

And I wouldn't be surprised...Just sad.

I'm not sure, but I think I have news.
    Fault's Avatar Retired Super Moderator

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: I'm not sure, but I think I have news.

Wow dude if thats true, that sucks, a lot

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    "If I and everyone else could contribute to MMOwned like you do it would be a terrific place." Don't PM me with request, only Questions

Finnster's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, id consider leaving without abuse, and they better not dumb it down to STARWARSGALAXIES style. where you cant jump and its almost like a giant game of packman from a fps or 3rd person veiw.

SomethingCool525's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While what you say may hold some truth, there is no way to stop us ( I use us very broadly) Blizzard in fact, and with game mechanics in itself can never stop model editing.. There will ALWAYS be a way, with a certain program, a certain code, or a certain script, to model change. Yes, perhaps 99.9% of people will not be able to do it, and it may become much more easy to spot thus model changers can lose their accounts and the like just like a hacker, honestly giving the VIP noggs the godsend that they used to have of being so amazing, many of them will be the few that actually know how the game was designed, how to redesign and how to code all of this to work. Many people come on this site and leech to no end, and then flame those who don't want to just hand out the answer.

Thus is the reason I have tried to stick to my guns so much about teaching. I'm not just trying to be a D**k about it. To seem so much more elitest or w/e. GtR MoD too, he tried to hint and to teach, why? Becuz we knew it would come eventually. In learning how to edit yourself have you not learned about how the game works? why the things YOU changed, and edited cause the reactions you see? Is it not our creativity, skills, and designs that make model editing what it is? What if Dopefish had never created his movies, would you still think he edit some coords float to gm island! I dont think so.

Blizzard is a great company in essence, they maximize profits, have little downtime that causes them to lose customers, and have designed and developed a game that has people literally addicted to it.

You claim that they will stop us from exploiting the system so that they don't lose customers. I would claim false, they can't stop us. They can stop some, most at best but it will never cease. You cannot design a game with 7 million people playing worldwide with one thing in common, The desire to gain advantage over the next person on the next computer in the next BG, PVP, Raid, Epeen... w/e It doesnt matter what you place in the slot, someone will find a way.

Blizzard nerfs things every patch, can we still not do EVERYTHING that was possible day one to present? Yes, we can still do it all.. different methods perhaps, but nothing has stopped.

Model changing will change, that is a promise. It changed in 1.11, and it will change again, if you looked at the files in just the past few patches you would realize that, if you havent already. The ones on this site, the Nogg-aholic site, and every model changer that is "elite" should or has seen it coming. But take it as a promise that they cannot end it, the death of the game will be only thing that takes life from model changers everywhere.. Learn now while it is still easy, learn what makes what work in this game, understand and research EVERY aspect of it now if you wish to model change in the future, for who knows when you may not be able to leech or it gets so hard that its not worth it anymore. Thus no one really practices releasing files for you to leech.

Those are the facts for the future.

-SomethingCool

zalle's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was on GM island maybe 1-2 weeks ago. i did not get banned.

rudez's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol you guys speak of model editing like its a passion but yea it wood suck of the simple way i knew how to do was cut off...

Give a newb a hack and he'll leach forever.
    Teach a newb to hack and he'll never leach again

A_Snake01's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SomethingCool, thanks for your input.

I'm trying nearly everything I can to wholly understand the game. Yeah, I know that the game reads the DBC files, I know that it reads whatever is in a patchX over the original one, I know you can edit files to do different things, but I'd love to just get in the mind of a Dev and know how it was programmed. And I am doing that now.

I agree, we can still do everything we were able to do from the start, but I just wonder how long it is until it takes an unbelievable amount of time and effort to do something that takes a few minutes now. I'll still do it when that day comes, I'll do it until the end of Warcraft, but eventually, it won't be fun anymore.

And if Dopefish hadn't made his movies, I don't know what would have happened. I just really don't. Would someone else have been destined to make his movies in his place, or would they just never have come at all? Not a question I enjoy pondering, as I love his movies. They were the first of their kind and are still positively brilliant and original, and they still inspire people. He definitely opened up the eyes of thousands, if not millions of people.

Also, Rudez, it really is a passion for me. I truly enjoy doing it and I'm sure many, many others love it as well. It's one of the most enjoyable things in Warcraft, to me anyway.

Nivv123's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well,if it would happend,there's allmost 100% that after 2 days the players will find a new way to model change safely, sometimes the players are smarter then blizzard,and sometime they dont,when it comes to model changing players > Blizzard : )
    lucy?

Negue2's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I´ve just been on GM Island 2day WITH MY MAIN ACC and if this is real this freakin sucks WE HATE YOU BLIZZ GO EAT DICKS!
    [NO QUESTIONS HERE]!!
    [NO QUESTIONS HERE]!!
    [NO QUESTIONS HERE]!!

idusy-org's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't make a difference to me if only the TaxiPath files were moved serverside/in-editable or w/e ... Who cares if you cant fly to GM island, its boring anyway, and not to mention its nothing special sence the method was leeked, anyone could go... Well yea im tired and im sick of writing... No novel for now..... but yea, personly i think it would be a plus...
    Unproud member of Snitchstianity

GtR[MoÐ]'s Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great topic!

Originally Posted by Rudez
    lol you guys speak of model editing like its a passion
    Actually it is. Model Changing is not just changing your items / mount to look good.
    It's a whole concept, the one and only place where freedom and creation are the main rules, where the only limit is your own imagination (I call this an attempt to break WoW normalisation standards). I would have left WoW for more than a year If I wasn't that much involved into my 'never finished' Model Changing projects, and it is a fact that every advanced Model Changer here (SomethingCool525, A_Snake01 and I, Krazee maybe ?) will recognise and definitely stick with.

If Blizzard wants to nerf Model Changing, they'll have to code a brand new engine, with a completely different way of controlling collisions (serverside, technically almost impossible), how files are read and place checksums over every single file that is loaded when WoW is launched, and monitor the whole thing. This would cost a few M. dollars, I doubt Blizzard will take such a mesure just to prevent a few people from exploiting the game's content.

I'm not saying that they will not try to nerf it's usage, but as said before, MCing will 'in theory' always be possible.

Originally Posted by A_Snake01
    I agree, we can still do everything we were able to do from the start
    I have to disagree with that. Many things have changed since WoW's release, and a bunch of important things that were possible before aren't anymore. (Examples: Real 'instance swapping' before 1.4, Outlands and a bunch of other ADT's removed from the gamefiles, etc)
    This is gonna go on, there should be less and less things possible over time.

Concerning the fact that I tried to push people into learning the game mechanics and making their own edits instead of leeching stupidly, nothing to add but it's sad to notice that very few people here at mmowned ever showed that kind of interest and will.

Long life to talented MCer's
    ø

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aaah...GTR, you make a few excellent points! however..I must disagree with your statement.

The "real" instance switching, I personally have no experience with it, but that, I can only assume is the only thing we cannot do anymore. You said Outlands was removed from the ADT files, this is true, but you can get them from a fresh install of Warcraft. take them and put them back, set the Boat, and bam, off to Outlands, or whatever.

I don't really think that they can really "remove" anything related to terrain, models or WMOs. They can physically take it out of the game, but because the system is deigned, if you had them, you can always put it back.

And, well, I always thought it would require a massive redesign of the system to make it so MCing is impossible, which is why I don't think it'll get removed; just make it harder and harder. But I must say, since the start of this thread my hopes have lightened, and I now welcome to future challenge.

GtR[MoÐ]'s Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course, you can 'revamp' outlands using old gamefiles, but still, you'll not be able to say to yourself: 'I'm where i'm not supposed to', just as fine as if it was still ingame

But you are right though

@ Idusy: Flying to GM island is nothing. It's just one of the multiple things you can do with DBC editing, and the most obvious / known issues, but trust me that it has other greater uses, and it will definitely be a great loss if it is "patched".
    Last edited by GtR[MoÐ]; 11-04-2006 at 02:26 PM.
    ø

SomethingCool525's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man, I love this stuff. I dont consider model changing a passion really, it is much more to me than that even. Many thanks to the few people on this site that have taught me something new, and really inspired some of the designs i have done personally ( Most of which will never be publicly released ) GtR, Snake, Dela, Even Fault ( Hes actually trying to learn EVERYTHING instead of just the few easy changes leaked into guides, and hes well on his way I would say) you guys are what make me come back to this site day after day. Along with all the noobies that I wanna see actually learn something from the countless hours we all put in to making MMowned model editing forums what they are. Though, I wish we had a place to talk about more advanced techniques privately, where there wouldnt be thousands of questions of how or why that works or what someone did wrong, or being flamed for not just leaking the MPQ's out. Though in my mind the only possible method for that would be what Nogg-aholics did ( Sorry guys for stealing your idea!) with their quest.

-GtR you certainly shed light from a different perspective than I, and brought up some points I really didnt think about when write my first post ( "Real" instance swapping) but I would say in the way of general nerfs (Top of org 1.11, CoT mage way, Hyjal, all that crap) They have stopped very little. It is true outlands was removed and many other things for that matter, but Outta the thousands of exploits posted a very few are still not possible via some method.

<33 to you guys. A_Snake good job starting such a serious thread that wasnt just about how to do some lame race-race conversion. It was well overdue that we had something worthwhile to post on.

Best of luck to you all,
    -SomethingCool

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by GtR[Mo**]
    Of course, you can 'revamp' outlands using old gamefiles, but still, you'll not be able to say to yourself: 'I'm where i'm not supposed to', just as fine as if it was still ingame

But you are right though

@ Idusy: Flying to GM island is nothing. It's just one of the multiple things you can do with DBC editing, and the most obvious / known issues, but trust me that it has other greater uses, and it will definitely be a great loss if it is "patched".

Honestly, I'm disappointed by each and every person who fails to see what one can do with the taxipathnode. They think it's just GM island, whoopdeedoo. There are so many possibilities for this, and it's one of the main ways of exploring custom areas, should some ADT's be a bit..out of the reach.

I too wish there was a second forum just for advanced chat, but that'd be against what MMOwned is; open sharing.
    That's not to say however, we can't start up a little IRC chat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast