0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch movies while playing WoW

This is a guide to set up Media Player Classic (MPC) to display in top of your WoW interface. Not recommended for slow computers and Mac user (not tested).
    ---Summary for advanced users at the end of this post.----

-1- Download
    You will need a copy of Media Player Classic (Not to be confused with Windows Media Player). It is free--just google it. If you are too retartded to find it, get CCCP (It is a codec pack that includes MPC and codes in order to play most videos in the net. You must uninstall all you previous codec before installing this. Best refer to the guide in the website) Installation is a little bit complicated so refer to their website for details, NOT HERE. I recommend setting up your MPC to your preference before proceeding to step 2.

-2- WoW Setup
    Setup WoW into [Windowed mode] and [Maximized] (optional). Do this by pressing escape, and clicking Video Settings. WoW should be running before proceeding to step 3.

-3- MPC Quick Setup (While WoW is already running)
    -Get off WoW without closing it by holding [ALT] and pressing [Tab]. Now open a video file you want to watch (Either open MPC and [Open] a file-- or double click your video file (if you voted to change your file associations in the installation)).

-Pause the video. Pressing [Spacebar] will also pause (or play) the video.

-In MPC, click [View], then [On top], then either select [Always] or [While Playing]. Again... your preference. But for now select [Always]. Press [1] and it should hide most of the MPC User interface (the buttons and options). Pressing [3] will reveal it again.

-[Alt+tab] back to WoW and the screen should be on top of your WoW. Resize your MPC screen to your liking. Rightclick on the MPC screen and press [PLAY]
    and enjoy your movie.

Tips:
    1) Pressing [B] while clicking MPC will pause, and minimize it. Actually B stands for Boss and it is the panic button for people who watch videos in their office. *wink*

2) Your hotkeys wont work if your are not focused to MPC and the same with WoW. Focus is a "vgui term" for "the one on top". Since MPC is always on top, it will be hard to tell which program is in focus. In order to focus WoW or MPC, you should click either. Its really kind hard to explain for me, so just figure it yourself.

3) If youre having performance issues or non-latency lag with WoW try to turn down your WoW video settings.
    (For begginers skip this) When WoW is in windowed mode, i found that sometimes youll lose FPS from your CPU sometimes. Ussually it happens when you multi-task (like browsing this forums while playing wow lols).If this happens, from your desktop, click the WoW Taskbar alot and ussually it restores the CPU priority back to WoW. If not, just restart WoW.

4) For performance issues with MPC, acess your Task Manager (CTRL + ALT + DELETE) and right click on Mplayerc.exe and increase its priority to [Above Normal]. This will make WoW a bit laggy but still playable. IF your movie freezes (but the sound still plays normally), just pause and rewind like 5 seconds back.

5) Avoid h246 (x246) encoded videos and DVD's since it will drain your CPU alot. Im not sure if Dual Core CPU's will help so dont ask.

6) Its really convinient if you set your mouse scroll to forward or rewind. [View] [Options] [Keys]

7) You shouldnt get banned for this. I dont think this violates the agreement or their policy.

Summary:
    Setup WoW in windowed mode. Setup MPC to Always on top. Hide the annoying controls by pressing 1, and 3 to show it again. Hotkeys, B-minimize, Space-Pause/Play, Ctrl+Q-Quick Open file. On WoW, CTRL+S and CTRL+M to mute sound and music, respectively.

Screenshot: Note, i cant seem to turn off video acceleration so the video is not displayed on the screenshot.
    Last edited by Grass; 01-13-2007 at 02:08 AM. Reason: Auto-merged Doublepost

Watch movies while playing WoW
    Maverike's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Watch movies while playing WoW

Hehe TYVM! Nothing quite like running around in a circle then having some1 ask you if you are botting... I swear I was just very distracted, I didn't even realise I was holding a key down! Can't wait to get this all down.
    BTW: Perfect for players who stay at the computer but just get bored of playing WoW, join BG, start vid, press forward everyonce in awhile, reply to any <GM> tells!
    Don't have much rep to give but if I had more I would give =P +rep with me

Fault's Avatar Retired Super Moderator

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There actually used to be a mod that does just this. Not bad i guess, if you found a way to do this with itunes, then youd really have something
    EDIT: You can do the same with itunes i just discover by selecting Preferences-->Advanced-->General-->Keep MiniPlayer On top of all other windows. This makes leveling soooo much easier
    Last edited by Fault; 01-12-2007 at 06:52 PM.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    "If I and everyone else could contribute to MMOwned like you do it would be a terrific place." Don't PM me with request, only Questions

CantThinkOfName's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm great idea but for some reason whenever I have WoW open and I open up anything else while it is alt tabbed it kinda freezes that section of the screen. So like if I put MPC in the bottom corner, it freezes like half the screen, but the rest still runs fine

Fault's Avatar Retired Super Moderator

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by CantThinkOfName
    Hmm great idea but for some reason whenever I have WoW open and I open up anything else while it is alt tabbed it kinda freezes that section of the screen. So like if I put MPC in the bottom corner, it freezes like half the screen, but the rest still runs fine
    This is probably due to a poor processor or your running to many things at once

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
    "If I and everyone else could contribute to MMOwned like you do it would be a terrific place." Don't PM me with request, only Questions

Infernous's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot mate, you just made leveling my blood elf paladin a heck of a lot more enjoyable! + rep

Vanoc's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks alot mate really appreciate it but a few of my movies dont fit the screen(To big). Thx again!!!
    EDIT: Fixed it stupid me and ****in around with my monitors settings :P
    Last edited by Vanoc; 01-13-2007 at 07:13 AM.

bloodofwar's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its sweet but its a little hard to do without a mod (the screen over health) so what mod are u using grass?

Grass's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can move the movie window anywhere you want... i just placed it there becoz it doesnt block anything while grinding. The best location would be the bottom right i believe.. but thats completely up to you.. as i said, preference.

Xerian's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice guide