0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tanking For Dummies Part 2: There's a Crowd

Here is the 2nd part of the guide i found.

Welcome back for the second installment of "Tank like a pro"!

In the first guide I showed you the basics of tanking, the skills that will carry you through tanking a single mob, and locking them up well, the basic skills that you develop during your first instances (Like the deadmines or Ragefire Chasm) and will STILL matter when you're a level 60 tanking ragnaros.

In this segment I'm going to tell you how you can tank multiple opponents simultainiously.

In later instances especially, and even in a few spots in the early ones, there are places where multiple enemies in one pull WILL happen, it's unavoidible.

The focus of multi-tanking is to focus most of your heat on a single mob, which is the one everyone else ought to be attacking, as well as creating enough threat on the other mobs to overcome the heat generated by heals.

Quick note:
    Players with abilities that take a mob out of the fight (Rouges with sap, mages with polymorph and warlocks with banish on things that can be banished) can make your life a lot simpler, but you'll be FAR more effective if you learn not to rely on these things.

First of all, you should select your primary target. Selection here is often with the help of your group's MA, or main assist player. This player makes sure that everyone is focusing on one target, the one that is being tanked the 'strongest' so that you only have incidental heat to worry about on your secondary targets.

Second, you need to get everyone's attention. AoE (area of effect) abilities like Demoralizing shout, Thunderclap, Whirlwind and cleave (for 2 targets) help a lot here.

First, the good news, you're going to have between 2 and 5 mobs wailing on you, which means that you'll have rage absolutely pouring in.

That means that you can afford to use expensive abilities like cleave early and often.

When tanking 2 targets, cleave will be the mainstay of your efforts. You will probably easily have the rage to use the sunder armors and revenges you need to lock that primary target, and still hit cleave everytime it lights up. You might have to lay off the comparitively expensive sunders in favor of revenge and shield bash (even against non-casters, ESPECIALLY if you have the talent to improve a bash's heat by 100%) so you can cleave more often.

If you're up against 3 or more, cleave alone won't do it, swapping to berserker stance for a whirlwind works if you're over level 35 (If I recall correctly), but other times, you're going to have to manually retarget for a sunder or 2. Using the 'tab' key is vital here, manually clicking into a melee is often no better than random target selection, but the tab key makes sure you target the next enemy, not that big voidwalker blocking your line of sight on the baddie, or the mob next to the one that needs sundering.

Your instant aggro abilities are pretty weak for multi-tanking, taunt is good for stopping a runner, but you won't hold them long unless you follow it up with some strong rage generation.

The ones with lockouts, those are much much better.
    A mocking blow can often tip the scale of a fight that you're losing control of, making it so you have 9 seconds where you can ignore that mob and focus on the others before popping back to it for a sunder-combo.

Challanging shout, is, as always your last resort, on a 10-minute timer, you can't really rely on it, but when you absolutely, positively need ALL the mob's attention NOW, accept no subsitutes.

Quick tip: If you're in a group with another warrior, on a tough pull, assigning one of you as 'offtank' and splitting the mob cluster up between you can save you a LOT of headache, even if he only takes a mob or 2 and leads them away from the main melee and tanks them there, he can save you the hassle of having to manage too many mobs.

Tanking For Dummies Part 2: There's a Crowd
    juanes's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually when i attack a large mob i charge, thunder clap, switch to defensive stance, demoralizing shout, berserker stance, whirlwind. also i must not that Tactical Mastery, and Anger management are both key talents when this is done. and on a side note if you are not sure wheather to get Anger Manaegement get it because not only does it reduce the decay of rage but it also increases the amount that is generated.

Edit: I forgot to mention that after i did the whole process i mentioned above i continue with sundering and useing revenge on each of the mobs. I never use cleave because it costs too much rage for its effect.
    Last edited by juanes; 06-14-2006 at 08:02 AM.