0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Launch WoW blazing fast, every time!

I just thought up a new, easy way to launch and log in to WoW quickly, despite having a large number of addons.
    This will really only apply to you if you are running a higher end graphics card or crank up the settings. Personally I'm running 1080p and max out my settings from time to time.
    Basically, we'll be working with the config.wtf file in your WTF folder.
    1. First, backup your config.wtf (create a copy of it somewhere. Personally, I renamed it old.Config.wtf). Make sure to rename/move the original so you don't have a Config.wtf in your WTF folder.
      Load in to wow (no addons neccessary for now). Once logged in, crank all your settings down to the minimum level, including sound settings and the like.
    2. Set the rest of your settings to how you would normally play (interface options and the like).
    3. Exit the game.
    4. Add any custom options you like to your Config.wtf. Personally I copy my old SET uiScale value and add:
      SET cameraDistanceMax "50"
      SET cameraDistanceMaxFactor "2"

so I can zoom back as far as allowed.
    5. Create a copy of your new Config.wtf (I named mine quickload.Config.wtf).
    6. Create a batch file (I named mine WoW.bat and stuck it in the game folder). The batch file contents should be something like:
      @echo off
      copy "D:\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF\quickload.Config.wtf" "D:\Games\World of Warcraft\WTF\Config.wtf"
      "D:\Games\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe"

Your batch directory structure will vary depending on your install location and what you named your quickload version of your Config.wtf.
      For information on how to make a batch file (.bat), see this link: How to Write a Batch File - wikiHow
    7. Create a shortcut to your batch file, give it a proper name (World of Warcraft) and the right icon, and place it wherever you like to launch WoW from.

So here's what happens - when you run this batch file, you'll launch wow with a minimal configuration for graphics settings. You'll launch much quicker and load in fast, particularly when you are in Shatt. I use this as my default wow launch to get into the game quick.
    I then use gfxToggle2 (http://files.wowace.com/gfxToggle2/g...2-r56901.3.zip) to pop back and forth between high graphics settings.
    This works well for me as I can log out with the settings cranked (say from Arena or something) but next time I load in, it's fast.
    • Remember that changes to your config.wtf will be lost (via interface adjustments and the like) so you may need to tweak your config a bit before you find a setting you really like.
      Personally, I keep another copy called maxxed.Config.wtf and do the same thing if I want to launch with the settings maxxed out.

Also: I noticed just force-creating a new config.wtf increased my load time significantly (I've had the same one since launch).

Edit: per fatmanpaddy's request and to deal with some typos
    Last edited by dogeater; 01-19-2008 at 11:42 AM.

Launch WoW blazing fast, every time!
    fatmanpaddy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a tip, make it more "noob" friendly. Some people don't know what bat's are, or how to make one, or even backing up a file. Do that and i'll +rep you.

Earelad's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice Guide,Realy good infoZ...
    Atlast,I m not that noob and I know what bats are

Subconsciousness's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice, should be useful when I'm in a crunch for logging in late for raids.
    :irock::yourock2:

Kaii's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice. My WoW loads amazingly slow with all my addons :S

PBALLER325's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice i aoe grind with my mage and haveing 2 toons slows my comp this should help