0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A rogue guide to dps

So here goes, i think some noobs...I mean rogues could use a dps guide and i stumbled over clozes (Cloze is one of the high ranked and respected rogues from Nihilum) guide to dps so i thought , why not share it here!

This guide is made based on a Combat Rogue's experience. Regarding Mutilate I can't give you any tips or advices since I have never felt the urge to try it out.

Talent tree

Priority for stats:
    1. Hit
    2. Critical Strike
    3. Attack Power

Talent tree

Priority for stats:
    1. Hit
    2. Attack Power
    3. Critical Strike

Typical Start of a Rotation

Start with whatever Special Attack you using and use your combo point on a Slice and Dice. Start building up combo points and make sure that Slice and Dice is ALWAYS on. A typical start of your rotation would be like this:

Special Attack >> Slice and Dice >> Special Attack x 2 >> Slice and Dice

Now lets say you have 5 Combo Points and 10 seconds left on your Slice and Dice. You can use the 5 combo points on a rupture or a eviscerate and start building up Slice and Dice again with a 1/2 combo point.

Rupture vs Eviscerate

Rupture vs Eviscerate is a matter of taste. Rupture with Mangle provides a secured amount of damage while with Eviscerate you can be lucky to get a high crit of on your target. I would probably recommend using Rupture until you have a decent amount of attack power & crit, then you can play around with some Eviscerates.

Hit Rating is your most important stat. While you wanna strive to get as much Hit Rating as possible you got to make sure you dont neglect other stats such as attack power + crit. Aim to get at least 260 Hit Rating, the more the better as long as you make sure you don't compromise other basic stats which you need

You should always have this on you:

Flask of Relentless Assault
    Elixir of Major Agility
    Elixir of Major Fortitude
    Haste Potions
    Thistle Tea
    Warp Burger(s)
    Grilled Mudfish(s)
    Talbuk Steak(s) (or other stamnia consumables)

Flask vs Elixirs?

Some prefer using Flask, some prefer using the Elixir combo. It all depends what you need. Low on crit? Use the elixir combo. Low on ap? Use the Flask of Relentless Assault.

Food

Regarding food go for Grilled Mudfish or Warp Burger which is the 20 Agility & Spirit food. That is the only dps food you should ever use, forget about the 20 Strengh or 40 Attack Power food. If the fight requires high stamnia you can always eat some stamnia food instead of.

Haste Potion(s) / Thistle Tea

Haste Potions is a great additional source to extra PvE damage. Make sure you always bring enough for every boss encounter in whatever instance you are doing. However make sure to only use them in situations where you know you wont need your Healing Potion timer since they share the same cooldown. In fights where you don't need to save the timer for Healing Pots use it each time your cooldown is up.

The same rules applies for Thistle Tea.

Poison(s)

With Shaman:

Go for Deadly Poison in offhand which in my experience will give the most additional damage.

Without Shaman:

Go for Instant or Anastetic Poison in Main hand and still go for Deadly Poison in offhand.

Weapon(s)

Dual Mongoose is the way to go. However giving the upcoming patch with Zul'Aman there will be a new enchant introduced to weapons called Executioner which will provides you with a Chance on Hit to ignore 800 armor of your opponents armor.

My tip will be that you go with Executioner in mainhand and Mongoose in the offhand - However I can't be a 100% reliable source before I actually get a chance to try it out myself.

Boots

Primary choice for PvE rogues is the Surefooted enchant which will provide you with 10 Hit Rating & 5% Snare Resist (Click here for reagents).

However should you stand in a position where you feel you are covered in on Hit i suggest you go for Cat's Swiftness (Click here for reagents) which will provide you with +6 Agility & Minor Speed.

The reason i would choose this over +12 Agility is that the Minor Speed comes in handy in a lot of fights or situations and therefor is far more superior.

Gloves

Go for 15 Agility. Make sure you dont cheap out and go for 26 Attack Power since you will gain alot more with the 15 Agility.

The gems are placed in a order so that one is suggest the most is on top, the one below it will be the 2nd best I suggest etc. Keep in mind that you need 2 red, yellow & blue gems to get the meta gem works.

Keep in mind that gems like Glinting Noble Topaz can count as both your red and yellow gem.

I will also include the Black Temple gems to the list since there will be a big possibility for you to purchase them from guilds that's running Black Temple. The gems from Black Temple will be marked in bold green.
    Glinting Pyrestone (+5 Hit Rating & +4 Agility)
    Matches a Red or Yellow Socket.

Rigid Lionseye (+10 Hit Rating)
    Matches a Yellow Socket.

Glinting Noble Topaz (+4 Hit Rating & +4 Agility)

Rigid Dawnstone(+8 Hit Rating)
    Matches a Yellow Socket.

Delicate Crimson Spinel (+10 Agility)
    Matches a Red Socket.

Wicked Pyrestone (+5 Critical Strike Rating and +10 Attack Power)

Wicked Noble Topaz (+4 Critical Strike Rating and +8 Attack Power)

Balanced Shadowsong Amethyst (+10 Attack Power and +7 Stamina)
    Matches a Red or Blue Socket.

Jagged Seaspray Emerald (+5 Critical Strike Rating and +7 Stamina)
    Matches a Blue or Yellow Socket.

Jagged Talasite (+4 Critical Strike Rating and +6 Stamina)
    Matches a Blue or Yellow Socket.

Since there is limited meta gems to choose from, the only one I recommend you to use is the Relentless Earthstorm Diamond which provides you with 12 agility & 3% increased damage for your critical strikes.

I'm gonna post what I would find most useful. Since I don't find Engineering useful I haven't mentioned anything about it. Also I haven't mentioned anything about Herbalism, Skinning or Mining since I personally don't enjoy farming nor do I need to. Should you enjoy farming one of those would be a great 2nd profession. However;

Enchanting is a must have for every rogue. The +2 weapon damage on each ring will provide you with the extra damage you might have been lacking. Apart from that being able to disenchant stuff can give you quite a big income from selling it on Auction House or simply just bank it for future usage.

Leatherworking is another profession that can be useful to have. The Drums of Battle that increases your party's Haste Rating by 80 for X seconds is a great raid utility. There is also a great chance that blizzard will add new patterns in Zul'Aman or Sunwell like they did with the Black Temple patch.

Like Leatherworking, Blacksmithing can be a great thing to have from a personal point of view for the weapons you can craft, as well as it can be handy to have for your guild if you ever need for example resist gear crafted for your tanks. As with Leatherworking there is a chance for Blizzard to introduce new patterns in 2.3 or 2.4 for new weapons etc.

Keep in mind that this is posted from a Combat Rogue's point of view. For a Mutilate Rogue I am sure that this list will be different. The first trinket I post will be the one I suggest the most, the one below it will be the 2nd best I suggest etc.

Madness of the betrayer (illidari council) - Black temple

Tsunami talisman
    (Leotheras the Blind) - Serpentshrine Cavern

Warp-spring coild
    (Void Reaver - Tempest Keep)

Dragonspine trophy
    (Gruul the Dragonkiller) - Gruuls Lair

Icon of unyielding courage
    (Keli'dan the Breaker) - Heroic Blood Furnace

Bloodlust brooch
    (Badge Reward, 41 Badges)

ashtongue talisman of lethality
    (Reputation, Ashtongue Dreadsworn Exalted)

Romulo's poison vial
    (Opera Event) - Karazhan

Hourglass of the unraveller
    (Temporus) - The Black Morass

Abacus of violent odds
    (Pathaleon the Calculator) - The Mechanar

So that's the guide hope you all enjoyed it and all!
    //Serania

btw i only take credit for posting the guide on mmowned -NOT- writing it
    All the fact and taking time writing it goes to Cloze of Nihilum
    Last edited by serania; 10-19-2007 at 03:50 PM.

A rogue guide to dps
    ian1158's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: A rogue guide to dps

good guide. im a 70 rogue with 210 hit rating 1650 ap and 24 crit. and slice and dice is essential to dps.

Rohi's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Without even opening these thread, I knew it would be Cloze's guide Btw fix those links they look stupid thanks for posting here tho

n30r's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great posting!! :yourock2: :homer:

`darkranger01's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol this guild is pretty good but um theres no fist and mace spec and personally i prefer haste rating stuff instead of some of the stuff sugested up there but yeah thats just personal opinion i suppose

Drako's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SSC/TK raiding rogue here, will start BT and HS this week probably. This guide is only useful for dagger rogues. I would never suggest any swords rogue to follow this guide.
    Last edited by Drako; 10-20-2007 at 09:10 AM.

TforTyranth's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erm, first off darkranger, youre asking for maces and fist weapons for us high raiding rogues fist and mace isnt a option. the only mace i can take is dragonstrike/the one from kaelthas. and eventough it has great stats the dps will fail vs swords since the mace spec is the worst you can have for pve.

fists weapons are pretty much extinct after gladiator and alars fists. and they simply cant match to swords either. nor daggers.

to the rogue above me, tbh i dunno how you play this game, but l2p, since this guide is almost 80% swords, 20% daggers. i dunno what rotation you have, but i guess you wont end up as 1 on the shards if you dont.

dont suggest anyone to not follow this guide, if you dont know much about it youreself.

Drako's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by TforTyranth View Post
    to the rogue above me, tbh i dunno how you play this game, but l2p, since this guide is almost 80% swords, 20% daggers. i dunno what rotation you have, but i guess you wont end up as 1 on the shards if you dont.

dont suggest anyone to not follow this guide, if you dont know much about it youreself.
    40ap 20str consumables are better than 20agi for swords rogues.
    12agi + 3% crit damage meta gem is useless for swords rogues.

Don't argue about what you don't know. Meathead.

randombob's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for sharing!

TforTyranth's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    40ap 20str consumables are better than 20agi for swords rogues.
    12agi + 3% crit damage meta gem is useless for swords rogues.

Don't argue about what you don't know. Meathead.
    so youre telling me the +26 ap on gloves are also beter then 15 agi? since thats what youre telling me, ap > agi.

go delete youre rogue.

yes ap is important but agility will always own it. bigtime. even if its the half of it.

Willsk813's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ince ima use this from now on

jappaex's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would just like to add to this guide..NEVER. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. USE EVISCERATE IN A RAID. IT IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF CP'S. thank you
    Scammed Accounts: 5
    Scammed Gold: 23k

serania's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by jappaex View Post
    i would just like to add to this guide..NEVER. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. USE EVISCERATE IN A RAID. IT IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF CP'S. thank you
    Originally Posted by Serania View Post
    Rupture vs Eviscerate

Rupture vs Eviscerate is a matter of taste. Rupture with Mangle provides a secured amount of damage while with Eviscerate you can be lucky to get a high crit of on your target. I would probably recommend using Rupture until you have a decent amount of attack power & crit, then you can play around with some Eviscerates.
    That is kinda what he says tbh
    //Serania
    Last edited by serania; 10-21-2007 at 06:28 AM.

`darkranger01's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh and one other thing when s3 comes out fists will be back in lol i use combat fists atm and were in hs and bt and im still top dps that have the swords from bt (not the legendary ones) and i have alars fists and i still do perfectly fine. oh and we downd illidari council last night woot woot =)

SSttiiaann's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all thx for sharing +Rep

Originally Posted by jappaex View Post
    What if you already have SnD up and the mobs are immune to bleed effects? Run away and use Deadly Throw?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast