134/62
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guide to increasing FPS in 20+man raiding

As we have seen of late – 20+man raiding can be very taxing on your system. However – all is not lost. I spent some time looking into some tips and tricks for improving your performance in raids.

1. First thing I will say is – connection – simple if your connection is shit you need to get your provider to fix it. All the FPS in the world wont stop those DC's.

2. The second point that I would like to make is that your fps and your connection at the end of the day is your issue to work through or sort. You are in a raid with 19+ other people that are not having the same issue – therefore it is a your duty as a member of this raid team to do everything in your power to resolve the situation for the sake of the other players.

Right so what can you do?
    I am not going to say these are actual fixes and will solve all your issues but – it helped me)

1. Remove your in game combat log – this works much like Details, Skada or Recount effectively spamming your in game chat (often hidden) but still there. Do this by right clicking on the “Combat Log” tab on our chat and deselecting all of the boxes – This will not effect addons such as Skada.

2. Recount is a big NO NO – Get rid of it – download Skada or Details in its place, does the same job for less processing power.
    3. OMEN Threat meter – Again I got rid of this – instead I have the “Tank” Threat enabled via TukUI (my chosen UI)

4. TukUI/ElvUI – these UI's are designed to minimize use of system resources (Tukui > About the site)

5. Razer Game Booster – Brought to you by those guys that came up with the MMO mouse The Naga and loads of other top of the range gaming hardware. This program is pretty good I must say – I originally beta tested it and then forgot about it when I reinstalled windows. What it does is manages all your games and optimizes your system to run them. From this program you can check drivers are all up to date, defrag the game file and on launching the game it will shut down background processes to free up your CPU to focus on the game. Razer Cortex: Game Booster

6. Defrag your hard drive. (Don't do this if you use an SSD) make sure you use a defrag program designed towards defragging an SSD and not a HDD If you still choose to defrag your SSD.

7. Defrag your game folder (through the razer game booster – or individually)

8. Update all Sound, Video drivers......update everything (game booster can do this for you in a few clicks)

9. Windows Updates – Stay up to date with these.

10. Clean your computer! This may sound stupid but a hot computer tends to be a slow computer – make sure there is no dust on your cards ect. (NEVER USE A HOOVER! Compressed air will do the trick)

11. This might sound stupid but – Lower your graphics! - Stop trying to raid in ultra if your computer cant handle it!

12. Disable Streaming - In the battle net client, streaming is checked by default, which will make the client queue some video for you in the background clogging the computer resources. This can be turned off by going to Battle net client, navigating to options -> streaming and uncheck “Enable Streaming”. Then restart the client.

13. Close skype!

Rendering scale - If you really care about FPS but less about the looks, you can always try to change the rendering scale. Lower settings will look blocky though, so use at your own preference. Default value is 1.0.

/console set renderscale 0.5

15. M2faster - Changing this setting can make WoW do funny things, and can bog down your system while you’re playing WoW.

M2Faster may improve your performance in crowded scenes by using all your cores if “Vertex Animation Shaders” is turned on.

M2Faster Reduces the unique number of vertex shader permutations that we will choose to use in rendering.
    Sorts the drawing of items in the scene a little differently to reduce the number of times we re-program the vertex shader hardware.
    I would suggest that you try the different M2Faster values to check how much it boosts or affects your performance.

First find out how many Cores your PC has, to do that simply go to
    Task-Manager --> Performance - click on “CPU”
    and check your Core amount.

Depending on your Core amount, you need to type following:

2 Core
    /console M2faster 1

4 Core
    /console M2faster 3

6 Core
    /console M2faster 5

8 Core
    /console M2faster 7

i think you got the hang of it, just take your core amount and subtract it with 1.

16. FancyCache now known as PrimoCache

WoW uses a lot of HDD time generally speaking, it loads content on the fly, therefore being able to cache the content to the RAM increases performance and seek times. Also if you quit WoW // Relog, it’ll decrease the time to get back on WoW by quite a lot, especially if your HDD is older than Gandhi’s Flip Flops.

This software is under “beta testing” and has been for over a year, the website allows you to download a 90 day testing period of the software.

While using an HDD and having 6GB of RAM and above, setting a 1GB cache for read and writes will destroy the load times of often used content. I choose to use this on my SSD still to get insane performance still, Disk benchmarks will see you hit many a gig/sec transfer rate.

WARNING: Using this on a laptop with sub 30% battery is not recommended, nor is it recommended if you live in an area with bad electric supply / regular power cuts. The reason for this you can delay the writes of the HDD (recommended) so that applications and games write the data to your RAM instantly which then slowly writes to the HDD in the background, if your power goes then you’ll get data loss. If you live in one of these areas or use a laptop, or are not an advanced user – > stick to READ caching only.

PrimoCache - Excellent Software Caching Solution to Accelerate Storage

WoW is a very CPU intensive game. Upgrading RAM and your GPU will only yield negligible improvements for you if you're trying to run it on a terrible CPU. Overclocking may seem like an awesome idea, but the decreased lifespan of your components and potential heat and cooling issues aren't worth it for two extra frames.

If you don't know what the **** you're doing in regards to cleaning your PC out then go here: CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!
    Simple to use, and a **** load more effective than screwing around in your registry alone. Which you should never do. Ever.

With heating issues - NEVER take the side panel off of your case. It doesn't cool down the pc, in fact, it screws up the airflow, often leading to warmer components.

Also, if you're running WoW from an SSD, which I doubt you are if you're reading this post but still, there's virtually no improvement after defragging one, so it's not worth the time

Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    If you are running windows 8 or most modern operating systems, trying to defrag your ssd through windows will simply run a Trim command over it. This can lead to some performance increase for the disk. Please don't use a third party program meant for HDD defragment on an SSD though. It is not as bad as some people make it out to be for your disk but there is no positive benefit.
    Originally Posted by Bleu View Post
    Requires you to have Gnomish Engineering, but Gnomish X-Ray Specs - Item - World of Warcraft is a significant FPS boost too. Makes it so everyone in your raid is naked, so no armor loads.
    Last edited by Spooch; 02-24-2020 at 07:00 AM.
    For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

Guide to increasing FPS in 20man raiding
  2. Thanks eyon, ~Z~ (2 members gave Thanks to Spooch for this useful post)
    Alfalfa's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    70/79
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "With heating issues - NEVER take the side panel off of your case. It doesn't cool down the pc, in fact, it screws up the airflow, often leading to warmer components."
    Oops

Also what's this about SSDs not being faster with wow?

xcureanddisease's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    74/235
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just defrag'd my solid state drive and i got a blue screen of death ! =(

jimmyamd's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    71/114
    Trade Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for this appreciate it

trying to load wow with the razor program it loads then stops i have a feeling its something to do with battlenet application.

any help?
    Last edited by jimmyamd; 02-01-2015 at 12:24 AM.

Creepwalker's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    15/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by xcureanddisease View Post
    Never defrag an ssd

HWAZRINGAR's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By definition, SSDs do not need defragmentation; it is pointless and actually hurts the SSD for no reason.

lzdmarketsg's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great talk............

Confucius's Avatar Panda of Worlds The Idiot

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    265/283
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are running windows 8 or most modern operating systems, trying to defrag your ssd through windows will simply run a Trim command over it. This can lead to some performance increase for the disk. Please don't use a third party program meant for HDD defragment on an SSD though. It is not as bad as some people make it out to be for your disk but there is no positive benefit.
    Last edited by Confucius; 02-01-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Bleu's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Requires you to have Gnomish Engineering, but Gnomish X-Ray Specs - Item - World of Warcraft is a significant FPS boost too. Makes it so everyone in your raid is naked, so no armor loads.

Spooch's Avatar Notice Me Senpai CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    134/62
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ayy View Post
    "With heating issues - NEVER take the side panel off of your case. It doesn't cool down the pc, in fact, it screws up the airflow, often leading to warmer components."
    Oops

Also what's this about SSDs not being faster with wow?
    WoW does run better and faster with an SSD?
    you should read what is wrote at the end, "Also, if you're running WoW from an SSD, which I doubt you are if you're reading this post but still, there's virtually no improvement after defragging one, so it's not worth the time".
    Originally Posted by jimmyamd View Post
    thanks for this appreciate it

trying to load wow with the razor program it loads then stops i have a feeling its something to do with battlenet application.

any help?
    Go to your World of Warcraft folder and use the WoW.exe file instead of the launcher.
    For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

jimmyamd's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    71/114
    Trade Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    got it to work but thanks it actually helped alot

Thanks G/R
    134/62
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by jimmyamd View Post
    got it to work but thanks it actually helped alot
    Cool, i'm glad i could help

[LT]'s Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by onyxa View Post
    If you don't know what the **** you're doing in regards to cleaning your PC out then go here: [/COLOR]https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
    Simple to use, and a **** load more effective than screwing around in your registry alone. Which you should never do. Ever.
    [/FONT]
    I can recommend a program called BleachBit which i have found to do a better cleaning then CCleaner.

If you still want to use CCleaner tho there is a good addon called CCEnhancer which ads support for over more then 1000 more programs CCleaner alone can't clean up.

And the most important thing... always, always, always do a backup of the registry before you clean it, even if it is with a program that is designed to clean the registry, you never know if something might go wrong.
    Last edited by [LT]; 02-03-2015 at 11:38 AM.
    https://www.mmowned.com/forums/world-of-warcraft/guides/264682-achievement-onyxias-lair-level-60-3-2-2-hunter.html

Thanks G/R
    134/62
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by [LT] View Post
    I can recommend a program called BleachBit which i have found to do a better cleaning then CCleaner.

If you still want to use CCleaner tho there is a good addon called CCEnhancer which ads support for over more then 1000 more programs CCleaner alone can't clean up.

And the most important thing... always, always, always do a backup of the registry before you clean it, even if it is with a program that is designed to clean the registry, you never know if something might go wrong.
    Ok, so i tried getting bleachbit and have been using it for a little while now and i can definitely vouch for it.

Pros
    Free
    Extensible
    Lightweight

Cons
    Utilitarian interface
    Some item descriptions are not informative

bboystyle82's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    41/28
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all u really have to do is tone down the game itself. no need for 3rd party programs or all these extra stuff.

or u can just get a better GPU. its 2015, no one should be lagging in WoW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast