85/470
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compressed air will do the trick
    NEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVER USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR / COMPRESSED AIR. the canned computer duster are a GAS. NOT AIR.

only use the cans of compressed gas meant for computer cleaning, OR an electric air duster.

air compressors compress atmosphere, which contains water, and can spray the inside of your computer with water. DO NOT USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR OR CANNED AIR.

Also, NEVER TURN THE COMPRESSED GAS UPSIDE DOWN. it will shoot out a VERY cold liquid which can thermally shock the motherboard leading to physical motherboard damage.

(don't post things I post to Patreon.)

Owneth's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    6/22
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by TehVoyager View Post
    NEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVERNEVER USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR / COMPRESSED AIR. the canned computer duster are a GAS. NOT AIR.

only use the cans of compressed gas meant for computer cleaning, OR an electric air duster.

air compressors compress atmosphere, which contains water, and can spray the inside of your computer with water. DO NOT USE AN AIR COMPRESSOR OR CANNED AIR.

Also, NEVER TURN THE COMPRESSED GAS UPSIDE DOWN. it will shoot out a VERY cold liquid which can thermally shock the motherboard leading to physical motherboard damage.

I've been using an air compressor for 10 years + never have had a problem yet from it... The parts never die. However I do take 1 precautionary measure when using an air compressor. I get a white piece of paper and blow the nozzle on it and when I do if I see moisture hit the paper (similar to an airbrush) I know the atmosphere is too humid. Thus it will cause damage. However if I don't see anything... or it's very light I simply take my computer outside on the back porch and put it on a table and blow it out with the air compressor. I also let it stand out there for about 15 mins before bringing it in and plugging it back in.

So yeah you CAN damage via air compressor but it depends on how much humidity you have. I live in Oregon. I obviously never do it during the wet months. Most of the time the dust is down anyhow. Also keeping the computer around the same level as the monitor seems to help with dust. I will get a can of air in the winter, same thing but not outside and I let it sit for about 30 minutes before I plug it in. I imagine it's evaporated by then.

TehVoyager's Avatar I just love KuRIoS
    Thanks G/R
    85/470
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other problem with an air compressor lies in the fact of how much pressure the air is under.
    I work for a computer store where we do repairs and such, and we've had units come in with moffett's physically ripped off the motherboard.
    if you do use an air compressor, please be careful, but you may not want to advocate their use to a new or inexperienced user.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

(don't post things I post to Patreon.)

Owneth's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    6/22
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by TehVoyager View Post
    The other problem with an air compressor lies in the fact of how much pressure the air is under.
    I work for a computer store where we do repairs and such, and we've had units come in with moffett's physically ripped off the motherboard.
    if you do use an air compressor, please be careful, but you may not want to advocate their use to a new or inexperienced user.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Don't put it close to the board and components. 8-12 inches away or more (80-120 PSI) is usually PLENTY of air to blow off dust , even stubborn dust. Shitty parts or abuse patterns with a air compressor MIGHT happen. Agreed on new users. I am seasoned technician for about 20 years now... and even if it's not "to the book" it is something I do personally and never have had any issues. Until I do, I will continue. If I do. Ever...

Agreed. Experienced people apply only.

Spooch's Avatar Notice Me Senpai CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    134/62
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated with more tips and formatting.
    For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen.

7. Thanks ~Z~ (1 members gave Thanks to Spooch for this useful post)
    dank15's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol cute guide, thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12