0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fighting with mages and what spec to use

I've seen many fire mages running around on the ally's and lots of frost on the horde...one question why are ally's being such n00bs?

In my opinion frost is the best spec to be, if you're going to post on this thread saying that fire mages do sooo much more damage and therefore pawn, leave now.
    Frost mages last so much longer than fire or fire/arcane mages, ice barrier, ice block and summon water elemental are some of the best bonuses to have, not to mention the nice talents that you can put in to make your target even slower and freeze them in place. Frost pretty much owns in leveling as you can kill 10 - 20 mobs your own level and below at once and they are sought more for end game instances so the healer won't have to spam heal on you.
    mages are one of the most fun classes to play and can certainly do the most damage straight away (yes! even in frost), at level 70 with semi good gear (greens and blues) i regularly get 2 - 3k crits with frostbolt which will down a mob at level 70 in about 2 or 3 hits. As frostbolt only costs about 240 mana at 70 you're going to be the biggest n00b on the planet to spec fire, for that one cast less but like 1000 extra mana used.

Mages are AoE characters uber damage on a huge area, ut that doesnt mean they cant pawn 1 mob at a time if you want. They work with croud control with polymorph and all the AoE casts that piss other characters off....like frost nova or blizzard with the talent to be able to slow sumone...i rarely take a hit against mobs with my mage, and with frost you are always ready for any extra mobs that come your way.

AoE grinding - for this i mount up with ice barrier on and run into some mobs, run around in large circles until they are all very close together, jump off the mount and use cone of cold, frost nova den strafe left or right (i no its obvious but some mages still run backwards!) then use a blizzard on em, wen the blizzards finished and they are close to you again, use cone of cold once more, when you've done that arcane explosion about 2 - 3 times maximum and dey should be dead.
    if any resisted one of you're arcane explosions just do one more, or just use a scorch or fire blast (which i prefer)

Against elites i usually just take one at a time, open with a couple of frostbolts, fire blast when they are near me, frost nova and frostbolt again.
    Against bosses that require 2 peeps i just summon my water elemental and fight like i do with the elites.

happy hunting
    Last edited by joshcan; 08-14-2007 at 02:41 PM.

Fighting with mages and what spec to use
    Cakewalk's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Fighting with mages and what spec to use

This sounds more like a "frost mages pwn fire suck" thread...

outcast's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow.. how utterly useless and boring.

First of all.. I'm not going to explain WHY i know this better than you, it is so.
    Obviously, you've been playing for a good while before TBC was released.. i know this by the way you describe your talent-build, True: pre-tbc Frost would be the way to go(.. and sometimes still is).

However, you seem to have a total lack of knowledge of the actual potential/advantages of a Fire mage.
    Nowhere in your post do you actually compare both builds and show their ad-/disadvantages, You basically just described how you Quote "PWN FIRE N00BS".
    If you really want to start the age-old debate of Fire and Frost again, i suggest you do your research. Nowhere in your post do you even mention the pro's of being a Fire mage ( Dragonbreath, critt-rate, Ignite, Combustion, fire vuln., Stacking ignites in raids, Master of Elements and so forth. ) nor the con's of a frostmage.

The real answer to the fire/frost question is simple and has been answered many times. Each spec has both its advantages and disadvantages under specific circumstances.

To sum it up , its commonly accepted that frost mages are the most steady and secure build to pick for any PvE-focussed player. However.. given the right circumstances ( eg. raiding with multiple fire mages for the ignite stacks and a minimum of 35% crit gear ), the fire mage will come out on top.

Now last.. but definatly not least:
    By the way you write, your choice of words and the usage of "00" in the word n00b,
    I really don't care much for your reaction to my somewhat offensive reply.
    I was merely marking upon the extreme lack of competence regarding the age-old subject.

Amen.

*3rik's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

u cant get 3k frostbolt crits with greens and blues at 70 u need about 1k spelldmg

GanjalfTheGreen's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh* learn to spell and go rewrite this guide......

joshcan's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally Posted by outcast View Post
    Wow.. how utterly useless and boring.

First of all.. I'm not going to explain WHY i know this better than you, it is so.
    Obviously, you've been playing for a good while before TBC was released.. i know this by the way you describe your talent-build, True: pre-tbc Frost would be the way to go(.. and sometimes still is).

However, you seem to have a total lack of knowledge of the actual potential/advantages of a Fire mage.
    Nowhere in your post do you actually compare both builds and show their ad-/disadvantages, You basically just described how you Quote "PWN FIRE N00BS".
    If you really want to start the age-old debate of Fire and Frost again, i suggest you do your research. Nowhere in your post do you even mention the pro's of being a Fire mage ( Dragonbreath, critt-rate, Ignite, Combustion, fire vuln., Stacking ignites in raids, Master of Elements and so forth. ) nor the con's of a frostmage.

The real answer to the fire/frost question is simple and has been answered many times. Each spec has both its advantages and disadvantages under specific circumstances.

To sum it up , its commonly accepted that frost mages are the most steady and secure build to pick for any PvE-focussed player. However.. given the right circumstances ( eg. raiding with multiple fire mages for the ignite stacks and a minimum of 35% crit gear ), the fire mage will come out on top.

Now last.. but definatly not least:
    By the way you write, your choice of words and the usage of "00" in the word n00b,
    I really don't care much for your reaction to my somewhat offensive reply.
    I was merely marking upon the extreme lack of competence regarding the age-old subject.

Amen.

i wasnt insulted mate...i actually agree with you, i wrote it when i was annoyed with this fire mage in my group...he died 4 times in first 10 mins of going into ZF!!!

is there any way i can delete this thread?

staggy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not flaming or nuthing but yeah i think this is one of the more usueless threads ive seen on here. fire is not as bad as you make it out too be i find it maybe not as affective but much more fun in pvp so thats why my mage is fire ^^

whitemn's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You also have to consider teh value of fire in pvp, since im a priest, you cant even use those spells as a ice mages ill just dispell em all away, so burst dmg is key, arcane/fire against me. I too play a fire mage as well, lemme tell you its just a bad mage not controlling aggro, but when the dps is needed that fire mage can dish it. That or get a better tank.

J-A-K-E's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also just from my experience frost is easier to level with because its easier to take on 2 or 3 guys at once and handy if u get in trouble. Thats y i rerolled at lvl 40 cause i figured that out, just my opinion dont flame for it. Also pve any spec is fine for mages cause u can kill enemies without getting touched as long as u have mana and u hit targets ur own level range . And hey lets all agree that using arcane for a secondary is useful especially to get the arcane consentration(clearcasting state) or the wand damage bonus

vectorian's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main is a mage and I've tried all different specs thus far including elemental spec. As someone said above... every spec have its strengths and purpose. Frost is awesome for farming and a few Fire mages in 25man raids is amazingly devastating.

Fragje's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try frost on hydross.

I don't want to be rude but:

Originally Posted by Joshcan
    I've seen many fire mages running around on the ally's and lots of frost on the horde...one question why are ally's being such n00bs?
    You are probaly looking at horde "noobs", since practicly every mage that would be endgame raiding is fire, same counts for alliance.

Yes, now I'm talking about raiding mages, it's very true that frost owns for PvE (leveling) and instances.

Frost mages last so much longer than fire or fire/arcane mages, ice barrier, ice block and summon water elemental are some of the best bonuses to have, not to mention the nice talents that you can put in to make your target even slower and freeze them in place
    First of all, a raiding frost mage, is good, but not good enough, a raiding frost mage doesn't have ice barrier and water elemental, second since ice block doesn't lower aggro, it's useless because you shouldn't take damage, and if you have, you bandage/hs/pot...

You can freeze them in place, I'd love to see that, yes, mobs in Karazhan, but again endgame raiding.

As frostbolt only costs about 240 mana at 70 you're going to be the biggest n00b on the planet to spec fire, for that one cast less but like 1000 extra mana used.
    It is true, but, but, but, L2P.
    It's not that you think frost is good, that you should let everybody know that it's awesome, I mean, It's good until Gruul, until Al'ar which you have to respec for 1 fight and back to fire.

monkey-leader's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shamans Ftw!!!

sebyseby's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ooo yes tha mage is really strong

Scilent's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

one of the best horde mage on my server is fire, nuff said.
    crit crit dead...

fonstump's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh, it's proven many, many times that fire does a lot more damage then frost in PvE. If you really feel the need for ice barrier and ice block in PvE, you fail, you shouldn't be getting hit anyway.

To sum it up frost=PVP fire+arcane= pvp, (unless you have 2 pieces of tier 5 then your good for pve), and 10/48/3 fire spec= best PvE spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast