Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] Holydin for Dummies -Wrath Update-

Edit: Changed from Blue to Skyblue

Welcome to Holy Paladin 101 Guide, whether you are a New 80 Paladin looking for guidance or a 80 Holy Paladin seeking help with your heals.
    Since the release of Wrath of the Lich King the Holy Paladin class has changed quite a bit.

This guide has been typed by me, Hammil, on the MMOwned Forums as an Updated guide to my old level 70 BC Holy Paladin guides.

This guide is focusing on how to maximize your Spell Power on a Paladin while maintaining a large mana pool and crit/haste ratings. If you have any comments/questions put it in the comments! Enjoy!

Warning: Wall o' Text incoming!

This guide consists of 8 Parts; they are in this order:
    Part One: The Main Abilities
    Part Two: Using the Spells Properly
    Part Three: Glyphs
    Part Four: Talent Specs
    Part Five: Professions
    Part Six: Add-ons
    Part Seven: Enchants/Gems
    Part Eight: Raid Goodies

Part One: The Main Abilities

Beacon of Light - Spell - World of Warcraft. Using this ability will allow you to heal your group/raid while still healing your Beacon. Simply apply the beacon to a person (this is usually yourself or the person you are assigned to heal depending on the situation) and heal other members of your raid and efficiently heal the raid.

Holy Shock - Spell - World of WarcraftWith this ability, you can instantly Heal or Damage your target with the spell. This is a great ability to use to catch a player from dying.

Sacred Shield - Spell - World of Warcraft Sacred shield is unique, it is sort of like the Priests bubble, but it also makes it basically an automatic FoL crit when this procs.

Flash of Light - Spell - World of Warcraft This is your basic spam heal. It is quick, and moderately strong for it's Low Mana Cost and Low Cast time.

Holy Light - Spell - World of Warcraft This is a big heal. Due to it's large Mana Cost and longer cast time, it heals for about 3x larger then Flash of Light. This move is NOT mana efficient at all, so I advise for you not to spam this.

Divine Illumination - Spell - World of Warcraft This move will make it so your Spells will cost a lot less. I will tell you a strategy I use with this spell while in a tight squeeze later.

Divine Favor - Spell - World of Warcraft This is a move that should be used every time it is available. It will make your next Holy Light, Flash of Light, or Holy Shock a Critical hit. It is great to use with Holy Shock followed by a FoL to make a quick Double Heal.

Aura Mastery - Spell - World of Warcraft This move is great for fights such as Hodir, where he has a huge spike damage to all around players. Having Frost Resistance Aura activated when you use this spell with make it so your whole raid will have 260 Frost Resistance for 10 Seconds.

Avenging Wrath - Spell - World of Warcraft This will make all Damage and Healing done 20% stronger.

Divine Plea - Spell - World of Warcraft This is a move that should only be used during a lesser Healing intensive part of a fight

Part Two: Using the Spells properly

Example One: A Dire Situation

You are assigned as the main tanks healer on the 10 man Sapphiron fight.
    There are only 2 healers, you and a Druid. This Druid is fail and stands in a blizzard for 10 seconds while not watching his health and dies.
    Sapphiron is at 15% and you notice that the raid is taking massive damage.
    Suggestion: Beacon the Tank, now cast Avenging Wrath, and Divine Illumination. This will allow you to have 20% stronger heals, and 50% less mana cost on all spells. Now This will allow you to cast around 4-5 Holy Lights mixed with Holy Shocks without barely Losing any mana. Tell your DPS to burn him quick, and Tada! You have saved the raid!

Example Two: A Mana Problem

You are only ~Halfway~ through a fight when you notice a big "Low Mana" sign swish across your screen. *gulp* You Have already guzzled down a Runic Mana Potion - Item - World of Warcraft. What to do?
    Suggestion: Make sure you are studying how the fight works, if your notice that during a certain phase, you are either over healing a lot, or the raid is not taking much damage, cast Seal of Wisdom and Judgement of Wisdom on a target with high threat + cast Divine Plea and watch your mana jump. Make sure you switch back to Seal of Light (if you have the glyph) after you're done.

Wrap-Up: Example 1: Pop AW, DI, to have access to great healing at a low cost.
    Example 2: Use SoW and JoW and hit away + cast DP while at a low damage phase.

Part Three: Glyphs
    Major:
    Glyph of Holy Light - Item - World of Warcraft
    Glyph of Holy Shock - Item - World of Warcraft
    Glyph of Seal of Wisdom - Item - World of Warcraft or Glyph of Seal of Light - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Minor: Glyph of Lay on Hands - Item - World of Warcraft and 2 of your choice.

Wrap Up: I've picked these glyphs due to having a faster Holy Shock, an AoE Holy Light, and a 5% Less Mana Cost or a 5% Stronger Heals seal.

Part Four: Talent Specs

There are two talents specs I am going to be highlighting in here. The “Crit” Spec: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft, which is a default spec.
    (The Point in Blessed Life can be put anywhere in the tree, it’s a filler) This spec gives you a Higher Crit chance than the 2nd one I’m highlighting.

The 2nd is the “Soak” spec: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft. Using the Divine Sacrifice spell will make it so your raid takes 40% less damage while in your Bubble. This if especially good on the Sartharion and Hodir fights due to the high spike damage from certain abilities.

Wrap-Up: Spec 1: Greater Crit chance; Spec 2: Ability to “Soak” Damage.

Part Five: Professions
    As the newly introduced Profession bonuses to Enchanting and Jewelcrafting have very good stat bonuses for us.

Enchanting: You can use a special enchant only enchanters at or above the level of 400 url=http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=44636 which adds 19+ spell power to a ring, so that’s an extra 38 spell power that non-enchanters are missing out on.

Jewelcrafting: You can have 3 “Prismatic Gems”. Using url=http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42144 instead of Runed Scarlet Ruby - Item - World of Warcraft gives you a +13 spell power bonus per gem. So an overall 39 spell power a non-jewelcrafter doesn’t have.

Wrap-Up: An extra 77 Spell Power as a Jc/Enchanter!

Part Six: Add-ons
    This is OPTIONAL: I repeat, these are helpful, but not needed.
    HealBot Continued - Addons - Curse – Basically a large grid, where you click to heal. You can customize it in the options.
    Grid - Addons - Curse – I’ve never used it, I’ve been recommended to it, and I hear it’s similar to Healbot.
    Quartz - Addons - Curse– A cast bar that is very precise on the speed at which you can cast your next spell. (This is very helpful to get off your heals faster)
    PallyPower - Addons - Curse – A way to commute with other Paladins for Blessings.

Wrap Up: Optional add-ons I recommend.

Part Seven: Enchants/Gems
    Being a JC/Enchanter you can use your 32+ SP gems and 19+ SP Ring Chants.

Head: Arcanum of Burning Mysteries - Item - World of Warcraft
    Shoulders: Greater Inscription of the Storm - Item - World of Warcraft
    Cloak: Enchant Cloak - Greater Speed - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Chest: Enchant Chest - Powerful Stats - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Bracers: Enchant Bracers - Greater Spellpower - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Gloves: Enchant Gloves - Exceptional Spellpower - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Legs: Sapphire Spellthread - Item - World of Warcraft
    Boots: Enchant Boots - Icewalker - Spell - World of Warcraft
    Rings: Enchant Ring - Greater Spellpower - Spell - World of Warcraft

Gems: If you have a Yellow Socket/Blue Socket and you still have a spot for a Prismatic gem put it in there. If not, use Jagged Forest Emerald - Item - World of Warcraft due to Crit and Stam.
    Red Socket: Runed Scarlet Ruby - Item - World of Warcraft

Wrap-Up: These are the best, but not necessarily the cheapest items for Maxing SP.

Part Eight: Raid Goodies
    Food: Now with the Fish Feast - Item - World of Warcraft being such a common item found in Guild Masters bags you will most likely not have to bring food.
    -If not use Firecracker Salmon - Item - World of Warcraft

Reagents: Stock up on 300-500 Symbol of Kings - Item - World of Warcraft before raids. You will need a lot if you raid for long periods of time.
    Get 5-10 Symbol of Divinity - Item - World of Warcraft to make faster Raid Recovery.

Flasks: Flask of the Frost Wyrm - Item - World of Warcraft is a definite win due to 125+ Spell power, and persists through death. Nuff’ Said.

Hope you have found this guide helpful and easy to follow. Feel free to comment on something I did wrong, or even something that you could say to help improve my guide. Later Days!
    Last edited by Hammil; 06-02-2009 at 01:19 PM. Reason: To make the thread better

[Guide] Holydin for Dummies -Wrath Update-
    mgscs's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide
    Correction "Sacred Shield - Spell - World of Warcraft With this ability, you can instantly Heal or Damage your target with the spell. This is a great ability to use to catch a player from dying." I think you menth holy shock
    Let's put a smile on that face.

AfterMidnight's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    edit thread
    ctrl-a, ctrl-c
    open notepad
    ctrl-v, ctrl-h
    blue -> skyblue
    ctrl-a, ctrl-c
    and back here ctrl-v

This'd make it allot easier to read

Just scanned it a bit, looks cool +rep

T3h Sorrow's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    3/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice

rawflstomp's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pretty nice man XD wish I could + rep but i can't -.-

hugmepls's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide,I like!

Just cleared Ulduar yesterday night as a holy paladin and I can confirm most of the things you listed here

+Rep

MelonFarmer's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LoH - My favorite spell as a pally.. It's a life saver..

mystiicc's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with aftermidnight, change the colour Good guide though.
    Proud user of WoWInfinity Hack.

Candyman6700's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide, I'd add that using judgment of light is a good idea because it adds tons of healing to the raid and 15% increased cast speed.

Hammil's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for rep cookies I edited post to Sky-blue and will fix a couple links when i get home.

Hammil's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by mgscs View Post
    Nice guide
    Correction "Sacred Shield - Spell - World of Warcraft With this ability, you can instantly Heal or Damage your target with the spell. This is a great ability to use to catch a player from dying." I think you menth holy shock
    /Fixed

Also added Sacred Shield to the list, thanks for catching that