Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Yet another holy paladin guide] in dept raiding.

Hej i've seen a cupple holy paladin guides so far, they've all been good for the starting out paladin.
    However much hasn't been said and the things said are mainly for starters, this will be a in dept paladin guide.
    Featuring:

1. pre raid.
    1.1 Spec.
    1.2 Stats
    1.3 Glyphs
    1.4 Gemming
    1.5 Enchants
    1.6 Macros
    1.7 Addons

2. Raid
    2.1 Healing targets

1. If you want a succesful raid you should always be prepared.
    Here I will tell you what you can do to optimize your preformance. Please note that if you come prepared your raid leader will be much more liekly to invite you to the next raid.

1.1 Spec
    It is always important to have a good spec.
    In this part im going to show you the most common raid spec used and elaborate on why different talents have been chosen.
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft
    This spec features imp. BoW, imp. BoM, imp. LoH.
    With this spec you can do everything from heroics to ulduar.

Most of this is common sence but this will help people who need it cut out for them.

Spiritual Focus:
    This is handy combined with concecration aura for 100% immunity to pushback.
    In reality you shouldn't ever have any loose adds on you but sometimes the tanks fail or the adds do so little dmg that ppl don't bother picking them up.

Healing light:
    Raw healing power, simple.

Divine Intellect:

15% more int. comes in handy in long fights + with Holy Guidance it will also increase your SP.

Improved Lay on Hands:
    Some people are against this talent others aren't. Imo its worth 2 talents since it can burst up a tank who is low on health and give you 1950 mana if you have the glyph for it, more on that later on.

Aura mastery:
    This can be sacrificed for 1 more crit in the retri tree, but I find it usefull for fights like razorscale where you just might be unlucky and get a fireball on you, pop this in combination with fire res. aura and your just saved your life.

Illumination:
    The most valueable talent in this tree. If you're raiding you should already have a minimum of 30% crit chance with holy spells and this will give you back 60% of the mana used on a spell.

Imp. BoW:
    This talent can also be sacrificed incase you want 3/3 imp. conc. aura, but I would only reccomend doing so if you have a pre-arranged buffing order with the other raiding paladins in your guild.

Divine Favor:
    A free crit, simple as that. I use this with holy shock to crit 9000 and get an instant FoL right after, really good for bursting heals out.

Sanctified Light:

6% crit. And with the Illumination talent crit should be your nr. 1 stat prio.

Holy Power:

5% crit. And with the Illumination talent crit should be your nr. 1 stat prio.

Holy Shock:
    Not only do you need this if you want to get Infusion of Light, but it is also a good heal to spice up your healing, its instant and only 5 seconds CD with the right glyphs for it.

Light's Grace:
    With this your holy light goes from 2.5 seconds cast -> 2 seconds cast, with holy light as your main healing spell this will also increase your efficiency in raids. Note this is before haste.

Holy Guidance:

More raw healing power, this is also another reason to stack up on int.

Divine Illumination:
    ½ mana cost for 15 seconds, are you kiding me? Insane.. Works good in combination with Beacon fo light which eats up a decent amount of mana.

Judgements of the pure:
    You should always be running arround with either seal of light or wisdom on you, with this talent you just have to click 1 instant cast button every minute to have 15% more speed.

Enlightened Judgements:
    Because it sucks to run all the way over to the target to judge and missing simply sucks.

Infusion of Light:
    Since you should already be spamming hoyl shock every time its up this is just and extra buff-up to the spell. It requires no extra effort and tunes up both HL and FoL.

Beacon of Light:
    Our mini aoe heal, it only affects 1(2) targets, but its still worth it.
    A tip for using this is that it only transfere the effective heals, meaning that if you cast a 9000 holy shock on someone with full health the beacon recives no hp at all.
    '
    Divinity:

5% more healing, more raw healing power.

Benediction:
    Reduces mana cost of HS, Judgements, SS, BoL and Hands.

Heart of the Crusader:
    Since you're already judging your target this will make the dps very happy.

Imp. BoM:
    Mainly a filler Talent, but also effective if you are assigned to buff BoM on the melees.

Conviction:
    More crit, wooohooo, we just can't get enough.

1.2 Stats.

Now that we got the talents sorted you should have a greater understanding on what stats are important.
    This is the you should use.
    Crit>int.>SP>haste

Crit beacuse it returns mana.
    Int. because it increases your mana pool, your spellpower by 15% and makes you last longer during long fights.
    Spellpower, well what good are you if you last for hours but only dash out 7k holy lights?
    Haste is a luxury you should only aim for if you're topped in the other stats.
    Elitejerks got alot to say about it if you care reading a ton of pages. The Holy Paladin Guide for WotLK - Elitist Jerks

1.3 Glyphs

The ones you should use is:
    Major
    Seal of light/wisdom, if you often find yourself on low mana I would suggest you go for seal of wisdom, but light is the one that will do the most for you.
    Flash of Light, it's 5% more crit woohoo
    Holy Shock, with you already spamming this 1 second of the cooldown is an incredible buff for this spell.
    ----------------------
    Minor
    Lay on hands, this is the only usefull minor glyph for a holy pala, since the other ones only save you mana, and in raid situation you dont start an encounter if not everyone is at full mana.
    Pick some random for the last two, they dont really matter.

1.4 Gemming

When it comes to gemming you should ALWAYS gem with 16 int. even if you dont get a gemming bonus of 4 crit or w/e.
    Only exception is if you need diffrent colors for a meta, but aim for only using int. gems.

Meta
    Either go with Beaming Earthsiege Diamond or Insightful Earthsiege Diamond all dependant on what gems are availible. Personaly I use Insightful Earthsiege Diamond

1.5 Enchants

Enchants have become an easy and most of all cheap way to enhance your gear.
    Some are cheaper than others and they come in diffrent variants, here is my view on how to enchant your holy paladin.
    #Note that im assuming you don't have either JC, Enchanting yourself or inscription.

Chest: Go for either 8+ stats or 10, with new content like ulduar out I wouldn't put more that 8+ on since its cheaper and you might end up replacing your chest anyways. This applies to every other itemslot, don't get the most exspensive enchant unless it is BiS (Best in Slot, you will most likely hear this in your guildchat or on forums)
    Legs: Get a spellthread for this, either a cheap 35+sp or an exspensive 50+SP

Head: If you don't have the reputation needed to get the good one from Kirin Tor then get the cheap one for stone keeper shards in wintergrasp

Shoulders: Either go for the enchant you buy from stone keeper shards in wintergrasp or the ones from Sons of Hodir exalted

Bracers: Only one choice here, get 16 + int.

Gloves: Get 28 +SP, nothing els to compare with.

Boots: I wouldn't get Tuskar vitality here since its mp5, I would much rather get icewalker since its crit for your spells and hit for your judgement.

Weapon: Unless you got an Ulduar healing weapon or The Turning tide I would get 50+SP over 63+sp since its so damn exspensive.

Shield: THere is only one choice here, its 25+int.

1.6 Macros
    In this macro section im goin to introduce you to a new kind of healing.
    Its called mouseover healing, those who already know this should just go through the macros quick, you might find something usefull.
    Code:
    #showtooltip Holy Light
    /cast [target=mouseover] holy light
    Mouseover holy light

Code:
    #showtooltip Flash of light
    /cast [target=mouseover] flash of light
    Mouseover FoL

Code:
    #showtooltip hand of protection
    /stopcasting
    /cast [target=mouseover] Hand of protection
    This will cancel w/e your casting and smack a hand of protection on your mouseover target.

Code:
    #showtooltip cleane
    /cast [target=mouseover] cleanse
    Will cleanse mouseover target.

Code:
    #showtooltip judgement of light
    /cast [target=Focustarget] judgement of light
    /dbm timer 18 Re-judge!
    This requires you to set your healing target as focus, when clicked it will judge your tanks target and pop up a timer for when to use it again.

Code:
    #showtooltip sacred shield
    /cast [target=mouseover] sacred shield
    /dbm timer 30 >>SHIELD<<
    This will cast sacred shield on your mouseover, and pop up a timer for when to renew the buff.

Code:
    #showtooltip Holy shock
    /cast [target=mouseover] holy shock
    Holy shocks mouseover target, can be used on enemies.

Code:
    #showtooltip Beacon of Light
    /cast [target=focus] beacon of light
    /dbm timer 60 Bacon Time!
    This will cast Beascon of light on your focus target which should be your tank without having to find and target him/her first. Also pop up a timer telling you when it runs out.

Note all timers in the macros needs DBM to function.

Okay. When first my guild suggested I started using this technique I thought it was lame, it was hard getting used to and a big pain in the ass the first cupple raids, but now i've gotten used to it and it has improved my performance.
    For this to work efficiently you will need a good raid unit frame addon, I suggest Grid

1.7 Addons

Grid usefull to get a good raid overview and usefull for mouseover healing.
    Pallypower, with the newest there is a feature for what aura people are using, very usefull to see if two paladins are using the same aura, in that case make one use devotion or a resistance aura to migitate dmg on the whole raid.
    DBM, alows you to make timer macros and help out in boss fights.

2. Okay now you got all the pre-raid stuff covered and your ready to step inside.

2.1 Healing targets.

To maximize each class' potential in a raid it is important that they are healing the correct target.
    Lets say your raid leader assigns you to raid healing and a shaman to heal the maintank, this is a complete waste of energy since the pala is a slave to the global cooldown and cast bigger heals whilst the shammy cast smaller heals that bounces to other people.
    In this situation a pala would have to burn his mana very quickly and do tons of overhealing on raid who maybe just need a 2k heal while the shammy will be spamming heals on the tank that would be much better casted on the raids.
    That why its important to sort out correct healing targets.
    A paladin should always be a single target healer, preferebly on a tank whilst a shammy should be on raid.

Hope you see hwere im getting here.

A incorrect healing assignment can screw you completely over.

Stuff to remember:
    -Use judgement of light every 15. seconds on your tanks target, use my macros above.
    -Keep up sacred shield to migitate some dmg from tanks.
    -Use Holy shock on every CD.
    -There is noting wrong with canceling a heal, rather that than wasting mana
    -Dont let people flame you for having ten times as much overhealing then they have, its because of judgement of light. And anyways, beter safe than sorry.
    -Palas should never raid heal, ever! Its okay to help out if you see that your target is topped and a rogue is dying due to a DoT, then just throw a holy shock, but never devote yourself to it, because you will FAIL.

Thats it for now, if anybody thinks I missed something lemme know, and your welcome to PM me if there is something you don't understand.
    Last edited by aztec; 04-22-2009 at 06:29 AM.

[Yet another holy paladin guide] in dept raiding.
    EgologiC's Avatar Active Member
    CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry not so different than my guide, and doesnt really tbh look selfmade
    I play WoW

aztec's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call it w/e you want I made it all from scrath myself.

And besides it is diffrent from yours since im explaining why you should do such and such, giving people much more knowlegde making it easier for them to make a desicion of their own on topics such a gemming and enchanting.

CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything in this thread is repost, but the gemming......<.< [you can maybe know the gems, if you read stats section]

Also yuour gramar maskes teh raedin uncfromtable
    I play WoW

cooper101's Avatar Knight-Captain
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basic repost of http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-gu...e-3-1-0-a.html except for the macros and the explaining of talents which is kinda pointless since in-game there is already the talents being explained in more detail

aztec's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it is a repost, so is yours, now lay that off.
    My guide is a repost of 30+ other guides i read and put together here and made understandable.

I wrote this because that other guides has many flaws.
    In basic it is nothing like EgologiC's post.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by aztec View Post
    Yes it is a repost, so is yours, now lay that off.
    My guide is a repost of 30+ other guides i read and put together here and made understandable.

I wrote this because that other guides has many flaws.
    In basic it is nothing like EgologiC's post.
    If this guide is a "...repost of 30+ other guides..." why bother posting it when people will just say repost?

aztec's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The info is, I took the information tried it out in game made my own conclusions and wrote it all down in 1 combined guide which is easier to read than 30 diffrent elitejerks or guildforum post.

Since your saying its a repost of egologic im guessing you never played a pally, the diffrence in thw two guides we wrote is stunning.

but meh idc, i tried to contribute by writing an easy understandable guide from diffrent sources to help people gem/gear/enchant and i get flamed 5 seconds after i post it >.<

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually I'm not flamming you saying its a bad post and such just saying its a repost and btw I do have a pally but he is prot not holy

aztec's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flamming part was directed to egologic.
    I hope your the only one who thinks its a bad post, since alot it can used straight away ingame.

CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    which is easier to read than 30 diffrent elitejerks or guildforum post.
    Sorry, but I found this repost hard to follow, grammar failures, typos etc.

So please /closethread and the repost is from HERE
    Last edited by EgologiC; 04-22-2009 at 06:55 AM.
    I play WoW

aztec's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It kinda annoys me you keep calling it a repost.
    Lets just put it simple it is not a repost, Its two diffrent guides on the same subject.
    Yea my grammar fails some places, but i believe it's still readable.

CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok sorry I made mistake, its copypasta+repost. Now good?.

No tbh I wouldnt go raiding with that copypastarepost
    I play WoW

aztec's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where did i say i copy pasted anything? dude is damn well annoying to be told that your work is copy pasted.
    i said that the background knowledge has been found elsewhere such as elitejerks or guild forums.
    you said it didnt look selfmade, well it is, i dare you finde any place on the net where i could have copy pasted this and i'll hand you a cookie