0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forgottensoul's Guide to Raiding Ettiquette

OBVIOUS NOTE: This is posted to the wrong section; apparently, you need 5 rep to post in the guide section. Would a moderator please move this, if the guide has merit?

Foreward: I designed this guide for both new raiders, and hardcore raiders in mind. A lot of things in this guide *SHOULD* scream "COMMON SENSE, GTFO NOOB!", but lets be realistic: Things mentioned in this guide happen more times than they should have, and will continue to do so, until someone educates them.

newb (n) - Slang; used to describe a new player to a game, who is willing to learn and grow

noob (n) - Slang, Insult; used to describe a player, who despite having played a game for a long time, makes moronic choices that ultimately show they have no idea what they're doing; when given advice to help them improve, they disregard it and refuse to learn.

I mention these terms, because they're used very loosely, and in many cases in the wrong regard to whom they're applied. This guide is for all the newb out there who want to learn; for the 'noobs' who came here to read, I hope you find something of interest to help you out. And for those who scream "common sense!", read above. Who knows, even YOU might have missed something. ^_~

=====
    So. You're new to raiding, huh? No worries... we all have been there at one point or another... lets show you the ropes, and help you on your way to glory!

First: Being invited into a raid

For most, this isn't as big of a deal, as many of us have guilds, or friends in guilds who make these runs; this is for both people with guild access, or w/o.

1st: List yourself in LFG for the raid or dungeon you're looking into crawling through. If you're a Hybrid, make sure to list your spec. There have been several times where people have asked my Pally to Tank, or my Shaman to Heal, in which case I point them to my LFG note.

This a simple process, as you'd follow the steps like you normally were for LFG, but if you look at the bottom, you'll notice there's a space where you can enter these notes. When people are LFM, they'll see this note when they click on your name.

Obviously, this might take a while to wait for. Sometimes, simply asking in /1: general, or /2: Trade (depending on which one your server uses, or abuses). You'd be surprised what kind of answers you can get here; take the positive ones and ignore the trolls, as some guilds might actually be cool with undergoing a specific run... if anything, you might get referred to a guild that does and is looking for members to running. This is double-win, if you don't have the guild resources to draw on.

Common Sense: This is a Massive Multiplayer Online RPG. The mistake a lot of people make is forgetting that there are people outside of their guild or circle of friends who play the game, the rest are scenery. You'd be surprised what a little communication can accomplish.

2.) I got invited! WOOHOO! So WTF do I do now?

Now, we get into the tricky part. So, you got an invite... but you totally don't know how do get there, or even fight!

Preperation. Simple. In the guild-run situation, most times a raid leader will be there barking out orders, turn on your Vent/Teamspeak/whatever and LISTEN. Don't talk. LISTEN. They'll be there to lead the tides to victory, or a quick withdraw in the case of unfortunate wipes.

As well, it falls upon YOU, the player, to have your character ready.
    Make sure you bring your requisite foods, oils, stones, flasks/elixirs, pots specific to your class/role in the raid.

Seriously. A lot of people don't. And a lot of raids suffer because they don't.

Usuaully, I'd recommend on carrying about 4 hours worth; this is personal preference, as most raids last less than four hours (if your group is that hardcore, or was pre-BC, then DAYUM!). If your group raids longer hours, please be prepared to store some bagspace appropriately.

If you're a healer, ALWAYS bring the best Pots you can. Your mana is important. We know this, and you know this. If you haven't turned into a smurf from all that blue liquid by now, I'd be be surprised.

Melee - Health pots, more later on this.

3. So you've got your consumables, lets get to the next spot. Ensuring you're actually geared to the task.

Now, different raids have different requirements. Some are Resistance Based, and some are Movement Based. We'll expand on this shortly...

Make sure you look the part! There are a lot of class/build specific attributes avalible through armor/gems/enchants/etc. Use your class-specific site to find out what you need of YOURSELF in order to be even minimally effective.

Most of these sites are composed of MANY other people who play the same class as you, and a good number of them have seen the raids that you haven't. They have some good advice to give, this is the place to find it.

Know what stats are important to your class:
    Str/Agi/Dex/Stamina/spirit/Armor/Defense/Resilience/Crit/Spellcrit/penetration (heh)/etc

3. More Preparations (if you have time)

Read a strategy guide for the fight, if you haven't already.

Boskillers DOT com

contains videos and guides in several languages, and class perspectives. Sure, the raid leader is going to be barking out orders, but its up to every raid member to know how to fulfill their parts. The RL may 'remind' you to do things, but if they aren't your class-type, they might not know specifically your role, if its a small one.

Make use of your resources.

Improve your character a little! So, you want to make sure that you're geared for hte raid, right? Don't know where you stand?

Try this site:

be dot imba dot hu
    (since I can't link yet)
    It'll take an assessment of the gear/enchants/gems you had on the last time you logged out, and give you an unbiased answer on where you'd be effective at, and whereabouts you should look for upgrades. The site offers suggestions on what you need to improve (and by how much), as well as what you may have wrong... also, it'll take a brief look at yoru spec, and determine if you're suitable for PVE, PVP, or Farming.

It doesn't, however, provide any gear choices to get better.

For this, I use:

MAXDPS dot com (again, can't post links)

Which allows you to import your armory, and take a look at what gear it considers and upgrade to your dps.

Note: this site is primarily for DPS players, and some healers. Down-rep if you will, but I'm sorta at a loss for a site for warrior tanks... but you can google-search for "Maintankadin Forums" for a great prot pally forums.

On MAXDPS, it;ll provide a loot list. By default, its set for most potential. If you care about socket bonuses (not saying they're bad, but in some cases, there are better things you can socket).

You might see your gear on the list (if you're collecting it properly w/ your spec in mind), with clickable links to wowhead to view the item in question. It provides gemming suggestions, as well as a list of flasks/foods specific to the spec.

Pretty keen, eh? This provides you with a roadmap of HOW to improve. What you decide to do with this information is up to you. Will you graduate FROM Newb, or will you graduate TO NOOB?

4. The Raid Itself

There's some folks you need to know, in order to communicate effectively.

Learn who the Raid Leader is. Treat this person with respect; they're managing 23 other raid members BESIDES YOU. They're constantly in PM, giving orders on what needs to be done. If you decide to pester them do so WELL BEFORE RAID TIME.

If you're going to be absent or late, let them know AHEAD OF TIME. Otherwise, you'll hinder them on start time, and make them find another replacement. Most of the time, this means you're not getting your spot back. However, if you let them know ahead of time, they can find someone to fill your spot, and maybe let you come participate.

DO NOT IM YOUR RAID LEADER ABOUT FRIVILOUS CRAP. This goes especially from 15 mins of the start of the raid, until its done. You'll only manage to frustrate them, and it may reflect poorly during raid times. This time period is crucial to raiding. Bring any questions or concern to your raid leader WELL BEFORE THE RAID.

Also, pay attention if you're singled out for a specific task. Hopefully, you've already read through the boss strats, and have an idea of what might be expected of you.

For those dps types out there.... be nice to your healers. If you can identify something that will help you take less splash damage, DO IT. If you have a potion, or a moment to bandage, DO EEEEET! If you notice someone in the raid is in a 'spot', and isn't getting heals... if your class can heal them, and you DO so, it looks GREAT! It also helps the raid survive, as sometimes even the smallest things can fall through the cracks and not be noticed.

In short, being prepared is one the single most important things you can do to get into a raid, be successful, and ultimately become a better player. If you do a good job, there's a better chance that you'll be asked along for future raids, and if you're not in one, possibly even a spot into the guild

Remember, at one point or another, we were all 'newbs'. Elitism means 'knowing how to be effective, and knowing that you are'. It doesn't mean 'I'm an ******* who sits around and offers destructive criticism and alienates any new players'.

Learning all of this makes you a better player

Moji's Avatar Established Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I didn't read the whole thing, but what does it have to do with scamming?

Scald's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly raiding isn't that complicated, most of that advice is a waste of time reading. Except the IMing the GM with frivilous shit just before raid, that is very accurate
    Last edited by Scald; 08-18-2008 at 06:22 PM.

Moji's Avatar Established Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I already asked, doesn't need to be asked twice.

Serus's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a scam but it is a nice guide that he put a lot of work into.

forgottensoul's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moji: If you actually read the begining, you'd know by now.

First line, quote:

OBVIOUS NOTE: This is posted to the wrong section; apparently, you need 5 rep to post in the guide section. Would a moderator please move this, if the guide has merit?

Xronis's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then get 5 rep you idiot

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never called anyone an idiot. But thanks for making me feel so welcome here. Really. Thanks.

joeri123's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to use some color's in a guide its annoying to read gray text on a gray background.

Dunnomyname's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Xronis View Post
    then get 5 rep you idiot
    Pmsl that what he is trying to do and your flaming him for doing the thing your flaming him for rofl

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would have tried colors... can go back and edit it for it.

One of the things that sorta threw me off, is it requires even 3 rep to add links to a post (sheesH), let alone pictures.... figured they'd throw color in at min 3 rep as well *chuckles*

Will go back and change it soon.