Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Melee Multi-boxing, How To

Hello Everyone,
    Please note, this is not a complete guide on how to multi-box, and is only a supplemental Guide for those who would like to multibox with melee characters. For more information on multiboxing, see the guides by other forum members:

or go to http://www.dual-boxing.com
    I am a long time reader, and a long time leecher. I have finally thought of something that MAY be worth posting. Since I am a leecher, I don’t have the ability to search the forums and I am not sure if this is a repost. If it is, utmost apologies, please link the original post as I would also love to read some more information on this topic.

Ok, so you want to multibox, but aren’t interested in leveling a caster?
    Ok, so all of the guides I have seen on multi-boxing with keyclone (or any other similar program) are for caster classes, i.e. mages, shaman, warlocks, etc. The reason people typically multibox with these classes is simple: Melee range is damn obnoxious to coordinate with multiple characters.

When running around killing, you have one (or more) character(s) that are always on “follow” and one that is the “leader”. So if you walk right up to a mob and try to kill it, the follower(s) are out of range and the keycloned abilities on those extra followers aren’t able to hit the target. If any of you have tried this, you know how annoying it can be. Also, if you have keyclone on all the time, you know that you have to run by clicking left and right mouse buttons simultaneously, and its not possible to simply back up the “Leader” with this movement method. If you try to back up with the “s” key or down arrow, ALL of the characters will back up. Here is the solution:

1. First, make an “Override” hotkey for keyclone. Use anything that you won’t normally be pressed, for example, I use the “End” key.

2.Make an assist macro for the followers (using /assist LeaderNameHere, this is not a macro guide, you can figure this part out easily enough).

3.Make a follow macro for the followers.

4.Place all of your macros on the same place on the action bar for each “Follower” character so that when you press the key, it presses it for all of them (common sense I hope, but you never know).

Now you are ready to try it out. Start your WoW applications, start keyclone (or whatever) and make sure that keyclone picks up the WoW apps (they show up in the window there on keyclone). Hit your follow macro and all the followers should now be following the leader. Ok, now the easiest thing to do is hit your keyclone override key to “pause” keyclone so that you can run around using the WASD keys or whatever, this makes it so much easier.

Note:On keyclone, while the override is on, a big button pops up in the screen that says “Paused” you can move this anywhere you want by clicking it, as its annoying when its in the middle of the screen, but you want it somewhere to remind you that your keypresses are not being sent to the followers.

Ok, approach your target and when you reach the target, WALK THROUGH HIM until you are just on the other side of his hitbox. This should position your followers on the OPPOSITE side of the target so that you have the enemy flanked. Alternately, you can aggro the target, and back up (if its a melee mob) until your followers are behind the target. Turn around your Leader character now so that he is facing the target, hit your override key to unpause the keyclone and make keypresses send to followers. Hit your assist macro and now pwn that quest mob like it owes you money! Once you have killed the target, hit your follow macro, pause keyclone with the override key, and carry on questing/killing. Rinse, cycle, repeat.

Tips and Tricks:
    -If you are leveling with a warrior, be sure to use hamstring at some point, running mobs can get out of hand quickly when you are multiboxing and can lead to a total party wipe. Rogues can use crippling poison after completing the poison quest.

-Mobs that don’t run are the best for killing, undead, some beasts, etc.

-Map keys to similar abilities if you are leveling with multiple classes, Heroic Strike on the same key as Sinister Strike, etc. This helps you to coordinate your attacks more smoothly, and lets you worry less about which character is doing what. You can even map ranged attacks to the same key, and the warriors/rogues will shoot/throw all at once, generally taking out a low health mob that is running away.

-Remember that only KEYPRESSES get sent to the followers, don’t click an ability and expect it to work on all of them.

-Because you are flanking, you can easily set up backstabs/mutilates with your rogue(s) by either:
    a.) having the warrior (leader) taunt, and having the rogue followers backstab.
    b.)set the rogue as your leader and have more than 1 flanking follower (the extra damage from the multiple followers will generally have the mob facing your group of followers.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    I hope this helps someone out. It took me a while to figure this out and get it coordinated to the point that I could actually quest with 2+ melee characters at once. Please feel free to post comments or suggestions. Since I am currently doing this to level melee characters, I am always interested in hearing more about techniques/suggestions for it.

Thanks for reading, I know it was long. Happy multi-boxing!
    Last edited by rootbeergnome; 04-05-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Melee Multi-boxing, How To
    Menthol8's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some nice tips good one

Evieh's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think there's a guide howto setup Octopus or something like that, it's a key broadcasting software too.

I myself used Auto Hotkey when i multiboxed, easy to setup if u got the right script.
    if anyone wants the auto hotkey script ill upload it if i have it on my hdd (2-3 boxing only, easy to make 4-5 tho)

it's a nice guide.

R33C3's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never multi-boxed in my life, never needed to :P