Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5vin's Mage Thread - Ask anything about mages here! (Work in Progress.)

First of all, Id like to introduce myself a little.

Hi, im Jonas. I have been playing mage for around 2 years now, and Im still loving it. Right now im playing pretty casual, only raiding 2 days a week, clearing Black Temple and Hyjal. Im three parts away from having the gear I want (Seacaller's Slippers, Leggings of Channeled Elements and Tier 6 headpiece). I have killed everything from Drakkisath and whatever his face is in strat when it was a raidinstance to Illidan and Archimonde. I got Gladiator in 2 brackets in season 1 aswell. I dont really like pvp anymore though

I only got one alt that I like playing, and that is a protspecced warrior, having tanked from every tbc 5man to Lady Vashj and Kael'Thas adds.

So from a pve perspective, I know my shit

This thread is made for you guys to ask any question that comes to your mind when it comes to mages. Be it leveling specs, raiding specs, questions about gear, why mages wont conjure 500 food and water for you etc., you get the point.

If you want gear advise and dont want everybody to know your ingame nick and server, you can PM me your armoryprofile instead.

I will be adding specs that I use/have used and reccomend for raiding, sologrinding and pvp.

If there is anything else you think needs to be added here, make a post and I will do my best to add it.

Now, hit me!

Raiding Frost build: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Im very rarely frost when I am raiding. Pretty much only on Illidan, due to fireimmune mobs and shatter is nice for parasites. I know shatter is not in that build, so if you are learning a new boss that requires AoE and you must stay frost for some reason, remove all points in Arcane Impact and remove 2 points from winters chill and go 5/5 Shatter.

Raiding Fire build: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Pretty basic cookiecutterbuild for the raiding firemage. Stack Scorch 5 times on your target, and spam your fireball button. You also get some nice tools for aoe I highly reccomend this build!

More to come!
    Last edited by 5vin; 01-01-2008 at 08:29 PM.

5vin's Mage Thread - Ask anything about mages here! Work in Progress.
    Kartio's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    7/1
    Trade Feedback
    2 (50%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mage build for gliding, I don't care is it frost or fire. (Build for 10-60)
    So, basically a solo grinding build, no AoE build.
    Thank you. : )

5vin's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by The Cool One View Post
    Mage build for gliding, I don't care is it frost or fire. (Build for 10-60)
    So, basically a solo grinding build, no AoE build.
    Thank you. : )
    I never tried botting a mage so im not 100% sure about how the bot handles stuff. Here's the spec I would use for leveling:

10-60
    Imp Frostbolt 5/5
    Ice Shards 5/5
    Frostbite 3/3
    Imp Frostnova 2/2
    Piercing Ice 3/3
    Arctic Reach 2/2
    Iceblock 1/1
    Cold Snap 1/1
    Shatter 5/5
    Frost Channeling 3/3
    Ice Barrier 1/1
    Ice Floes 2/2
    Arctic Winds 5/5
    Emp. Frostbolt 5/5
    Water Elemental 1/1** See note!
    Winters Chill 4/5**
    Elemental Precision 3/3

60-70
    Arcane Subtlety 2/2
    Arcane Focus 3/5
    Arcane Concentration 5/5

**I dont know if your bot can handle the water elemental, if it can, go 4/5 winters chill, if it cant, go 5/5'

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by 5vin; 01-01-2008 at 08:08 PM.

BiG BaLLa's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not trying to bash your frost mage spec, just want to put in my 2 cents. I don't agree with all of your spec, most people I'm sure aren't on Archimonde/Illidan so when raiding they should not need Frozen Core nor should they really need Ice Floes providing the tank knows what he/she is doing. That said I'd rather move those 3 points into Frostbite for solo grinding/questing or go 2/3 Magic Absorbtion (or whatever you want in arcane) so that you can put 1 point into Arcane Meditation, especially recommend this if you don't have a shadow priest in raids.

Edit - Other than those minor details I couldn't have made a better frost spec myself. Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by BiG BaLLa; 01-01-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Haq's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 27 mage, and watched the AoE guide on video quite a few times (can't remember the name, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about), and I didn't like it. Even after practicing for several days it seems quite a pain in the arse.

So I respecc'd back to fire. Is fire a viable leveling spec? Take away the AoE crap (since I hate it) I just finished Wetlands (alliance obv), could I make it to 58 reasonably using fire spec?

Also, what is the best spec for Outlands? Is it still AoE?

5vin's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by BiG BaLLa View Post
    I'm not trying to bash your frost mage spec, just want to put in my 2 cents. I don't agree with all of your spec, most people I'm sure aren't on Archimonde/Illidan so when raiding they should not need Frozen Core nor should they really need Ice Floes providing the tank knows what he/she is doing. That said I'd rather move those 3 points into Frostbite for solo grinding/questing or go 2/3 Magic Absorbtion (or whatever you want in arcane) so that you can put 1 point into Arcane Meditation, especially recommend this if you don't have a shadow priest in raids.

Edit - Other than those minor details I couldn't have made a better frost spec myself. Let me know what you think.
    I agree on the talentpoint spent in frozen core, its kinda a leftover talentpoint. However, I wouldnt move the points from icefloes since the lower cooldown comes in handy when theres alot of aoedmg, if you are required to aoe etc. Eat pots if you are low on mana, use evocation, use magearmor and mp5 oil if you have manaproblems. It really isnt worth wasting talentpoints just to get arcane meditation.

Originally Posted by Haq View Post
    I have a 27 mage, and watched the AoE guide on video quite a few times (can't remember the name, but hopefully you know what I'm talking about), and I didn't like it. Even after practicing for several days it seems quite a pain in the arse.

So I respecc'd back to fire. Is fire a viable leveling spec? Take away the AoE crap (since I hate it) I just finished Wetlands (alliance obv), could I make it to 58 reasonably using fire spec?

Also, what is the best spec for Outlands? Is it still AoE?
    If I understand you, you are leveling by hand. Yeah, you can level to 70 as fire. I did 60-70 as fire, only specced frost once to try icelance. Fire is higher damage, but expect to die more. Overall I think you will get to 70 at the same speed no matter if you are fire or frost. However, frost will allow you to kite and kill elites way easier. And you dont necessarily have to AoEgrind just because you are frost :P