NEW RULES for scam section 19th september 2009 menu

These ads disappear when you log in.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 121
  1. #46
    Apoc's Avatar Angry Penguin CoreCoins User
    Reputation
    1384
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,753
    Thanks G/R
    0/9
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Originally Posted by Inquality View Post
    Biggest. Misinterpretation. EVER!

    Look at the high and mighty, do you really think I care that you don't care about my opinions and why are you saying 'I' are you the supreme overlord of the forum now as my comments were not directed at you but the site's management (kurios and chris) while other people were going with the change and not voicing their opinion, I saw the opportunity to do so please don't try to beligerate me because I'm not a yes man like everyone else around here.

    It's funny how I have NEVER seen an anti-scam thread (before the new rules being implemented) as you pointed out, if you can find one with a date of 07/08 then I will shut up about that point.

    Besides I would be happy if the scamming forum was completely removed as I no longer play WoW, and haven't for nearly 6 months, I just visit the site now and again to see if anything has changed in its lacklustre moderation.
    Actually, none of the admins were the original suggesters (is that even a word?) to the Whitehat changeover. It was the 'lackluster moderation' team. Also; in case you haven't noticed, there is only about 10 people or so in the staff for the entire site, of 1M+ posts, 500k+ users. The fact that you think our work is 'lackluster' is moot, since you have no idea what we actually do.

    Also, there have been numerous anti-scam threads in the past 2 years, however, they were usually lost within 10-15 minutes to the insane amount of other threads.

    http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-sc...ammed-wow.html was the first hit via Google

    Lastly; beligerate isn't a word. (Though, I know what you meant)

    These ads disappear when you log in.

  2. #47
    Inquality's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    180
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    Actually, none of the admins were the original suggesters (is that even a word?) to the Whitehat changeover. It was the 'lackluster moderation' team. Also; in case you haven't noticed, there is only about 10 people or so in the staff for the entire site, of 1M+ posts, 500k+ users. The fact that you think our work is 'lackluster' is moot, since you have no idea what we actually do.

    Also, there have been numerous anti-scam threads in the past 2 years, however, they were usually lost within 10-15 minutes to the insane amount of other threads.

    http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-sc...ammed-wow.html was the first hit via Google

    Lastly; beligerate isn't a word. (Though, I know what you meant)
    Yes, I kinda understand now because of the sheer amount of posts every hour or so, it get's overwhelmed but why weren't these threads stickied since as you said they were the reason the scamming forum existed.

    I would of thought the staff would put priority over these posts and I don't think it was clearly advertised that the forum was meant for anti-scamming which is another mistake they failed to put right.

    Also by looking at the thread you linked me, quite a few people said it's a scamming forum and not-to-be-scammed forum so that further proves my point how ignorant people were.
    Last edited by Inquality; 09-19-2009 at 10:33 PM.

  3. #48
    Apoc's Avatar Angry Penguin CoreCoins User
    Reputation
    1384
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,753
    Thanks G/R
    0/9
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    We do not condone scamming, this section is meant for people to read about scamming so they can prevent being scammed themselves.
    That has been there since I joined the site. I don't see how it can be any more blatant.

  4. #49
    Parog's Avatar Kitsune Da-O! M.L.G.
    CoreCoins User Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1522
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,165
    Thanks G/R
    517/260
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    This part of the forum started for, as KuR started it, things like the backspace trade trick. Not so much full blown phishers.

    However, it didn't go from 1 extreme to another in a day. This section slowly became what it was a few days ago. The way the community slowly became used to things such as gold farmer scams, to tcg scams, made it hard for us to put our foot down on something no one was complaining about. Users could still see how they worked and how to prevent themselves from being the victim of the latest scams.

    Meanwhile, the 'lackluster moderation' team was busy closing / moderating thousands of posts, testing every exploit comming out, searching everytime someone called "repost", doing pages of reported posts a day, tracked down rep traders, dealt with alot of other things going on that you might not be able to see.

    When the section got out of hand is when phishers started coming out and people started asking for fake ID's to recall accounts / other kind of unorthodox phishers.

    We had been talking about turning the section upside down for quite a while and it took a lot of talking and work to make sure it wouldn't hurt the website.

    When we decide on changes to the website, we decide it as a team. We couldn't just set our foot down when the "borderline" to acceptable was pushed a little bit further.

    Hope that made some sense. I'm really tired tonight.

  5. #50
    Cypher's Avatar Kynox's Sister's Pimp CoreCoins User
    Reputation
    1354
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    5,335
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Hooray. Finally.

  6. #51
    Inquality's Avatar Member
    Reputation
    4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    180
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
    That has been there since I joined the site. I don't see how it can be any more blatant.
    You can't? I sure as hell can:

    1. It should be as big as [NO QUESTIONS HERE] or have the same font, the 'Whitehat' segment should be too.

    2. I really don't remember any sticky saying the site does not condone scamming, until now of course.

    Maybe this is down to some peoples comprehension skills with English however when trying to get a point across to the forum goers, big and colourful sentences are better then small and grey.

    @ Parog:

    Now that I've heard in much detail the amount of work the moderation team has to go through, I take what I said back.

    After moderating a heavy-usage site once, I know it isn't easy and it is often thankless work.
    Last edited by Inquality; 09-19-2009 at 10:53 PM.

  7. #52
    Parog's Avatar Kitsune Da-O! M.L.G.
    CoreCoins User Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1522
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,165
    Thanks G/R
    517/260
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Originally Posted by Inquality View Post
    thankless work.

    This.

    We do it because we like the website and want to keep the community safe and fun to be part of. Glad you understand now.

  8. #53
    Syncness's Avatar Legendary CoreCoins User Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    691
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    944
    Thanks G/R
    2/61
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Eh.. I learned a lot from the scamming section based on the scams people put out.

    When the Cataclysm scam first came out, I stuck it on my guild's MoTD, and warned everyone on vent (that night during raid).
    Double check you're trading with me in case of impostors

  9. #54
    Patchumz's Avatar Knight-Champion
    Reputation
    43
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    503
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Woot, finally this gets taken care off.

  10. #55
    andr3w_91's Avatar Contributor
    Reputation
    114
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    311
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    There goes 3/4 of mmowned`s users

  11. #56
    KuRIoS's Avatar Admin
    CoreCoins User Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    2923
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,660
    Thanks G/R
    285/258
    Trade Feedback
    8 (100%)
    Originally Posted by Inquality View Post
    You can't? I sure as hell can:

    1. It should be as big as [NO QUESTIONS HERE] or have the same font, the 'Whitehat' segment should be too.

    2. I really don't remember any sticky saying the site does not condone scamming, until now of course.

    Maybe this is down to some peoples comprehension skills with English however when trying to get a point across to the forum goers, big and colourful sentences are better then small and grey.

    @ Parog:

    Now that I've heard in much detail the amount of work the moderation team has to go through, I take what I said back.

    After moderating a heavy-usage site once, I know it isn't easy and it is often thankless work.
    1. I see your points and I will look into it when im on a real computer as u are right "whitehat" should be highlighted as well. thank you.

    parog explains the 2. part further down

    Originally Posted by andr3w_91 View Post
    There goes 3/4 of mmowned`s users
    hehe u know nothing, that is what we thought at first, but it turned out that scam section wasnt as big as we originally thought, it was the same ppl posting over and over and over ... and little to no changes to their posts

    www.murlocs.com

  12. #57
    Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Reputation
    616
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,365
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    hehe u know nothing, that is what we thought at first, but it turned out that scam section wasnt as big as we originally thought, it was the same ppl posting over and over and over ... and little to no changes to their posts
    Not only that, many people used it as a "rep farming" forum as well, since it was quite easy to get rep there (Yep, I'm guilty.) So I don't really think it will have too much of an impact on the site. Also, with these changes and the changes to the trading section that may become more active as well.

  13. #58
    [Ban Hammer]'s Avatar Banned
    Reputation
    394
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    728
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Originally Posted by Aldun View Post

    Not only that, many people used it as a "rep farming" forum as well, since it was quite easy to get rep there (Yep, I'm guilty.) So I don't really think it will have too much of an impact on the site. Also, with these changes and the changes to the trading section that may become more active as well.
    Well, if that's your argument with "rep farming" then why don't we take down graphic and model editing section too? Prolly the 2 easiest places to get your rep as long as you got just a little knowledge about it. (At the graphic section it prolly requires like 2 weeks of photoshop training and you're ready to farm rep).

    But i agree with this as a i said in this thread already. But i want to defend the scam section by saying that some of us didn't rep farm in there. We spent a long time finding new scams and new twists on old scams that could be used without being too illegal(like phishers, never touched those bastards).

  14. #59
    KuRIoS's Avatar Admin
    CoreCoins User Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    2923
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,660
    Thanks G/R
    285/258
    Trade Feedback
    8 (100%)
    no rep can be given in graphics...
    Model Editing is not bad imo.

    www.murlocs.com

  15. #60
    [Ban Hammer]'s Avatar Banned
    Reputation
    394
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    728
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Originally Posted by KuRIoS View Post
    no rep can be given in graphics...
    Model Editing is not bad imo.
    Well, people just find the person who made the sig in another thread and give him rep from there. Never seen someone gotten rep and it said "for the awesome sig you made" or summat?

    It happens, and it's easy made rep.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Suggestion]Rule for programming section?
    By Clain in forum Suggestions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 03:39 AM
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 PM. Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2019 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved. Digital Point modules: Sphinx-based search