0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The CoD Scam: An In-Depth Guide

Hi, I'm writing this guide to share on of the easiest, fastest, and when used right, most lucrative scam in WoW.

1. The Setup
    Account
    First off, you never want to scam from your main account so do this from a scammed account that you know wont be recalled or from another account registered to you that isn't linked to your main account in any way (e.g. credit card, address, e-mail, first/last name or phone number).

Character
    Next you're going to want to create a character. I would recommend a Draenei for Alliance and a Blood Elf for Horde. This is because Silvermoon/Exodar are the least traveled to cities; thus it is unlikely to encounter a person that is willing to buy stuff there. If you dont have the expansion; go either Night Elf or Undead. Once you have a race it is time for a name. I would reccomend a name like "Kylebank" or "Bankme" or something along those lines. These names make you seem like some guys banktoon and people dont think twice. You could also use a name like "Mìninion" using a special ASCII character could trick someone who tried to report you as "Mininion".

The Goods
    Starting out I would reccomend getting 2-4 Void Crystals. They are in high demand and people are willing to buy them in bulk. More advanced scammers can use Primal Nethers or Nether Vortexes. Only have as many of the mats as you are planning to scam with on the account at a time. You dont want the account getting banned with 5 Nether Vortexes do you?

Add-Ons
    I would reccomend getting the WIM addon from WIM (WoW Instant Messenger) | World of Warcraft Addons | Curse. It opens up a new tab for each set of whispers you get, making it much easier to keep track of your potential customers.

2. The Scam
    Time for the actual scamming. For this example you are using 3 Void Crystals from Darnassus. Lets say they go for 25g on your server. In trade chat say "WTS [Void Crystal]x20, only 400g thats 100g off the AH price! PST".
    You should get a few whispers depending on the time of day. Lets say you get the following whispers:
    1. I'll take them all; where can I meet ya?
    2. Can I buy 5 for 100g?
    3. I'm in Darnassus; where are you?
    4. I'll take them. Can you COD please?
    Respond to each whisper like this...
    1. I'm in Darnassus but my brothers nagging me to take him to soccer practice (or another excuse); may I COD? If they say yes, go ahead and COD as I describe in step 3. If they say 'I'm on my way there' say 'Sorry, just sold em'
    2. Sorry bro I'm trying to clear out my bank. OR try to negotiate him; maybe say How bout 300 for 20? He will either decline and stop talking to you, keep trying to buy five, try bargin you down more or give in. If he does any but give in, say you already sold them.
    3. Sorry already sold them. Theres not much you can do for this guy if he is already in Darnassus and looking for you.
    4. KK, in the mail. Easiest of the situations, just CoD as I describe in...

3. The Cash on Delivery
    Alright so you have the person ready to be COD'd. Now what?!
    1. Type in (or shift+click) their name into the name spot
    2. Take the SINGLE Void Crystal from your backpack and put it in the item slot.
    3. In the subject change from "Void Crystal" to "Void Crystal (20)"
    4. In the money slot put in 400 (or whatever price you agreed on)
    5. >IMPORTANT< Click the dot next to "COD". If you dont do this you will end up sending them a free shard and 400g.
    6. Click send

Heres a picture

It takes one hour for them to recieve the item and if they accept, the money back is instant.

4. Prior to the CoD...
    Three things can happen.
    1. The plan can go off without a hitch. It takes one hour for them to recieve the item, the money back is instant. (Best option)
    2. They can recieve the item, realize its a scam and reaturn the item. (Second best option)
    3. They can realize that it is a scam and keep the item in their mailbox.
    (Worst option).

If they quickly accept it without looking at the name and they dont remember you, you're off scott free...However should they remember you or not send it back they will probably report you to a GM. Lets say you sent out 5 CoDs; you get three back and the other two havn't responded for over a day. This is a bad situation.

I would reccomend transfering the money to your main account via auction house and deleting the toon. This will make it so the mail says that it is from "Unknown", possibly making it so that if they havn't already reported you they wont have your name down. Lay low for a few days.

5. Tips and Tricks (Prone to edit)

• Never use the same name twice.
    • If you have some gold to spare from the scam, hand it out to a bunch of different people. This may make it harder for Blizzard to trace because it touched so many hands.
    • Use things such as enchanting materials, gems and rep turning things. People wont think twice to buy these in bulk.
    • Never try to scam the same person twice (For obvious reasons)
    • NEVER trade or mail money. The auction house seems to be the most secure method.
    • Send a few out at one time; not throughout the day.
    • If someone is going to come to you say something like "I left the mats on another toon in Un'goro Crater, I'll mail from him". Log off, and a few mins later log back on and mail.
    • Delete your "Cache" and "WTF" folders after each time (Generally found at C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\WTF or Cache
    • If your doing it with something that stacks in 250 (like Marks of Sargeras) DON'T send 25 instead of just one. It will come in as "C.O.D Mark of Sargeras (25) (250)"...looks a little suspicious eh?
    eppersdance:Good Luck and Have Fun eppersdance:

Also this is my first guide; please don't flame
    (My personal best was "20" Vortexes for 4500g)

Last edited by elliotthehobo; 07-05-2008 at 08:42 PM.

The CoD Scam: An In-Depth Guide
    Gorr's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice work +rep when i can

elliotthehobo's Avatar Active Member