Where is WoW's quest information stored? menu

User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ev0's Avatar Super Moderator murlocs.com

    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1833
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks G/R
    296/360
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Where is WoW's quest information stored?

    I'm building a database of quest information, is there a localization file somewhere I can parse? Or should I just scrape wowhead?

    ie: quest text, experience/gold earned, etc.
    Need a guild in the US? Visit murlocs.com

    These ads disappear when you log in.

  2. #2
    jadethread's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Reputation
    6
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    108
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    afaik wowhead gets its information from an addon/program and it gets uploaded to their site. Not that this is much of a help but just stating.

    Wowhead Client - Wowhead

  3. #3
    Thomja's Avatar Almost Legendary User
    Reputation
    535
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    639
    Thanks G/R
    13/36
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend scraping wowhead. This way you can make sure that you have old quests that may have been deleted from the game but are still available on wowhead. However I'm not sure if wowhead keeps these, just a theory. Like for example old naxx quests.

    Also, I'm not sure how the quests inside the game files would be laid out. If u decide to scrape... Have fun with the regex! ^^ If ur gonna scrape via url searching that is. :P
    I really don't have anything interesting to put here anymore.

  4. Thanks Vengfull (1 members gave Thanks to Thomja for this useful post)
  5. #4
    ev0's Avatar Super Moderator murlocs.com

    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1833
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks G/R
    296/360
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Thomja View Post
    I would recommend scraping wowhead. This way you can make sure that you have old quests that may have been deleted from the game but are still available on wowhead. However I'm not sure if wowhead keeps these, just a theory. Like for example old naxx quests.

    Also, I'm not sure how the quests inside the game files would be laid out. If u decide to scrape... Have fun with the regex! ^^ If ur gonna scrape via url searching that is. :P
    haha I built an entire wowhead class file for scraping, takes no time at all to do it.

    I checked the dbc files for anything, all it had was questID's. I would love to try and find the quest gossip and stats somewhere.
    Need a guild in the US? Visit murlocs.com

  6. #5
    Thomja's Avatar Almost Legendary User
    Reputation
    535
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    639
    Thanks G/R
    13/36
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by SniffingPickles View Post
    haha I built an entire wowhead class file for scraping, takes no time at all to do it.

    I checked the dbc files for anything, all it had was questID's. I would love to try and find the quest gossip and stats somewhere.
    I see, maybe I just suck at regex? Atleast I think it's fun ^^ When it works that is...

    Out of interest, what software do you use to look through the dbc files?
    I really don't have anything interesting to put here anymore.

  7. #6
    ev0's Avatar Super Moderator murlocs.com

    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1833
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks G/R
    296/360
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Thomja View Post
    I see, maybe I just suck at regex? Atleast I think it's fun ^^ When it works that is...

    Out of interest, what software do you use to look through the dbc files?

    I use xpath, not so much regex, for scraping.

    I don' t know the software name because i only downloaded it last night, i can link you when i get home tonight
    Need a guild in the US? Visit murlocs.com

  8. #7
    ev0's Avatar Super Moderator murlocs.com

    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1833
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks G/R
    296/360
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Thomja View Post
    I see, maybe I just suck at regex? Atleast I think it's fun ^^ When it works that is...

    Out of interest, what software do you use to look through the dbc files?

    Here you go, MyDBCEditor

    mydbceditor
    Need a guild in the US? Visit murlocs.com

  9. #8
    Thomja's Avatar Almost Legendary User
    Reputation
    535
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    639
    Thanks G/R
    13/36
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by SniffingPickles View Post
    I use xpath, not so much regex, for scraping.

    I don' t know the software name because i only downloaded it last night, i can link you when i get home tonight
    Haven't heard of xpath, but then again I have only done very very little in php. Maybe another time!

    Originally Posted by SniffingPickles View Post
    Here you go, MyDBCEditor

    mydbceditor

    Thanks!
    I really don't have anything interesting to put here anymore.

  10. #9
    ev0's Avatar Super Moderator murlocs.com

    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Reputation
    1833
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,529
    Thanks G/R
    296/360
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Thomja View Post
    Haven't heard of xpath, but then again I have only done very very little in php. Maybe another time!
    ha, xpath is used a TON in C#/Java as well as a strong presence in Javascript

    Basically it maps a page out in XML for selecting data within a specific node

    for example, the xpath for your quoting me would read:

    Code:
    /html[@id='vbulletin_html']/body/div[@id='pageWrapper']/div[@class='pageWrap']/div[@class='pageWrapBody']/div[@class='above_body']/div[@id='contentMain']/div[@class='contentBody']/div[@class='body_wrap']/div[@id='postlist']/div[@class='forumbitBody']/ol[@id='posts']/li[@id='post_3335725']/div[@class='postdetails']/div[@class='postbody']/div[@class='postrow has_after_content']/div[@class='content']/div[@id='post_message_3335725']/blockquote[@class='postcontent restore']/div[@class='bbcode_container'][1]/div[@class='bbcode_quote']/div[@class='quote_container']/div[@class='message']
    there are a ton of great chrome extensions for finding it (even chrome's DOM editor has xpath generator natively)

    https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d.../support?hl=en
    Need a guild in the US? Visit murlocs.com

Similar Threads

  1. [Theory] Get WoW Gold from a Store W/O being Banned
    By Proe24 in forum WoW Scam Prevention
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2008, 04:41 PM
  2. Get Free Video Games EVEN WOW Stuff From Retail Stores
    By Mr. Herbert in forum WoW Scam Prevention
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
  3. know where a WoW:BC download is?
    By cpoulsen in forum World of Warcraft General
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-02-2007, 02:16 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-04-2007, 10:16 AM
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM. Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3
Copyright © 2020 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved. User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Digital Point modules: Sphinx-based search