4/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World of Warcraft 2D

Hello, everyone. My name is Tyler but I typically go by Xolitude. Unfortunately, that name was already taken here(?).

WoW-2D's Blog

Anyways, I'm here to "announce" WoW-2D. WoW-2D is essentially a project with the goal of re-creating the vanilla World of Warcraft experience in 2-D. WoW-2D is nothing more than a passion project and it's something that, over time, I am confident I can complete, start to finish. I have no worry as to whether or not there is a market for a 2-D World of Warcraft, quite the opposite. Being this a passion project, I'm hoping that it will be something that people can poke fun at and enjoy at the same time.

I started the project on August 21 of this year and, in my opinion, I have made a nice bit of progress. I am building WoW-2D using Slick2D for the engine and Kryonet for the netcode. I didn't feel the need to build my own engine from the ground up as I've been messing around in Slick2D for quite some time and after thinking about it, Slick will do what I'll need it to, at least for the foreseeable future. I also have a decent amount of experience in general programming, specifically in C# and Java.

In terms of the project, I am currently the sole developer and artist and would love to work with a small team, if anyone is interested/has experience. Personally, I'd prefer artists more than anything as my pixel art skills are absolutely horrid. Unfortunately, as of right now, I am unable to pay anyone for their work but if anyone might share the fun-loving passion for WoW that I do, I think it could be a fun adventure!

If anyone is interested in working with me on this or would just like to follow the progress, please reply to this post and/or follow the link above to the blog.

Regards,
    Xolitude

World of Warcraft 2D
    SolitudeGaming's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    4/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to create a Discord channel for general discussion: Discord
    Last edited by SolitudeGaming; 09-26-2018 at 11:34 AM.

aphoth's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    link has expired. I also started to work on a 2D version a few months ago and did some assets (basically most of the things there is in the orc starting zone but didn't have the time to implement it. Was using unity and socket.io. Also i created and maintained 2 top 1 private servers for 5 years so i have a good view on how things should work technically. Hit me up on discord Owmince#4813
    Last edited by aphoth; 09-26-2018 at 03:05 AM.

Thanks G/R
    4/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by aphoth View Post
    link has expired. I also started to work on a 2D version a few months ago and did some assets (basically most of the things there is in the orc starting zone but didn't have the time to implement it. Was using unity and socket.io. Also i created and maintained 2 top 1 private servers for 5 years so i have a good view on how things should work technically. Hit me up on discord Owmince#4813
    It's odd that the link has expired. I set it to never expired. I'll create a new link for it.
    Very nice! I would love to see the progress you've made and if you're interested, perhaps work together? Art is my biggest struggle but in all honesty, I'm not too concerned how the game looks as long as it is technically sound. Also, I love the experience you have with private servers, in terms of the technicality. I, myself have never ran one, I'm more of a player, personally. I sent you a friend request on Discord.

Thanks G/R
    4/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WoW-2D is now open-source on GitHub! To further follow development, follow this link.

6. Thanks vvvat (1 members gave Thanks to SolitudeGaming for this useful post)
    Thanks G/R
    4/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have updated the source and created a new repository for the project which can be found below I have also started occasionally live-streaming my development progress on World of Warcraft 2D so if you'd like to more closely follow development, follow this links below!

World of Warcraft 2D - Github
    World of Warcraft 2D - Livestream