Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laptop Upgrade for WoW (Need Help Fast!)

My current computer is this: Laptop Computers - Satellite A215-S5837

The laptop i will be getting: Amazon.com: ASUS A53U A53U-AS21 15.6-Inch Laptop (Mocha): Computers & Accessories

My current set up gets 5-3 FPS on boss fights while raiding, 12-30 while flying and questing.

My question is will i see an upgrade from what I am at now. I do not care if i do not get 100 or more frames, I just want to not lag as much as i do now. (Oh, and that is the cheapest i can go for a lappy.)

I just want to know if it will give me smoother FPS. I know the CPU is low, but the DDR3 should help.

(Posting this here since all the bitching on the WoW forums pushes my thread down)

Laptop Upgrade for WoW (Need Help Fast!)
    Cimeter's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look for both the CPUs benchmarks:
    Mobile Processors - Benchmarklist - NotebookCheck.net Tech

The e-450 that the new laptop got is even worse than the Turion CPU you got now. Therefor i really do not recommend to buy this one. I personally play with an i5-2410m (but also without a dedicated graphics card) and i really would not recommend to take any CPU that is much slower if your not getting a dedicated graphics card. I usually have about 10-15 FPS playing at 1680x1050 on lowest settings when raiding. I think you should aim for an i3 core or something similar at least.

If you're having problems with your ram, you could always buy a new one, as they're cheap as hell. But even the 4GB won't make a difference if you take the e-450 CPU.

imdasandman's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    9/4
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spend $1300 on a Asus Rog vx75. It will get you 100 FPS and in 25 mans 60+
    It comes with an i 7 so the benchmarks will be fine.
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    My Frost/Unholy DK WoL ranking edits(4.3) and crystals Hunter Beta profiles-
    https://imdasandmandeathknight.googl...com/svn/trunk/
    Originally Posted by Valma View Post
    Oh sure. (: Plz,lord,rewrite my profile without "re-inventing a wheel".I'm really interested how would you do so.I even ready to eat my pants if yours will perform better in raids than mine

Amagicalman's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly if I were you, I would sink that money in to a cheap desktop. You'll get double the quality of that laptop for roughly the same price if you do that.

bugler18's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thing is i only have 373$ to spend, thats all my income got me. Could somebody find me something within say 373-450$?

Teveel's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like amagicalman said get a cheap desktop because any laptop you get for that money is going to be piss poor at running wow.

beereed's Avatar Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, what previous posters have suggested. Also in my personal experience and opinion Asus is one of the worst brands of laptop you could buy.
    Also these days most games are best played with at least 6GB Ram. So yes, for the same price upto $450 roughly you should be able to find a decent desktop.
    For example (again this isnt a brilliant make) Amazon.com: Lenovo IdeaCentre K330B Performance Desktop PC 77471TU - Intel Pentium Dual-Core G620 2.6GHz, 6GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, Keyboard/Mouse, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit: Computers & Accessories
    I do realise it is refurbished, i am using this as an example of reasonable specifications (6GB ram 1TB Hard Drive etc)
    That has some decent specs, and a reasonable price, though obviously peripherals would be needed on top.

MyNewName's Avatar Banned I Suck At This CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by bugler18 View Post
    Thing is i only have 373$ to spend, thats all my income got me. Could somebody find me something within say 373-450$?
    You can easily find a computer for that price. Look for a desktop around 400 with a quad core processor. Get on Ebay or Craigslist and find a dedicated graphics card for around 50, Install it and you will be running around 90 Fps. Worst case scenario, you will need to buy a new power supply for around 15. Bringing your grand total to a whopping $465. And you will have a competitive PC. Happy shopping.

bugler18's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

freeloading's Avatar Knight-Lieutenant
    Thanks G/R
    0/3
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Browse Best Buy stores near you, look under Open Box/Clearance. Sometimes they have open box laptop/desktop for very cheap and carry the same warranty. You need discreet video/graphics on a laptop if u are gonna play wow on it. Like others have said, a cheap desktop will get you better result.

superxdude's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    44/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a Dell D820 laptop at work with 1 GB ram for awhile...lots of stuttering and lag. I could farm or do fishing/cooking dailies etc.

Once i put in 3 GB ram, problems were pretty much solved.

s1gnal's Avatar Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody thinking about the electrical bill? I would recommend desktop with Intel i3 35w, minimum 4gb memory, dedicated display card that are low on power but still handle wow.

Most of the bottleneck in WoW is CPU related (heavy fights, lots of calculation and people on server), however you need certain GPU power to be able to unleash the potential of the CPU.

I would not recommend most CPU with integrated GPU, unless you buy an AMD FM2 A10 CPU. Remember that the general rules with CPU w/integrated GPU, the higher "mhz" DDR3 memory your motherboard supports and u put into it, the better the CPU/GPU combination.

Advice is as said, keep it simple, smart and low on energy.
    Last edited by s1gnal; 03-20-2013 at 05:04 AM.