1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by RAiLED View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Someone in the military, working on munitions would not:

a) post any of their own barcodes of any sort, blurred or not.

b) risk using any military equipment on game screenshots. I'm sure the shit they do is logged.

c) even be allowed to talk about their job and what they do and how it's done.
    Hehe that's why I said that only if any of the above turns out true, then his posts would have to be deleted for reasons of "national security" and the like :P

If everything he said is just an obvious disinformation trolling technique then I wonder how come he is still allowed to maintain Elite User status in here.

Either way, food for thought.

Looking inside your screenshots
    Thundathigh's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit2: Fixed my derp...
    [Derp]
    Scaled Watermark, Color shift? - Imgur
    [/Derp]
    Just had to set the image type to RGB and remove the alpha shift (255<<24).

_Mike, are you sure that the watermarks are only 1 pixel off? I'm getting blurry watermark's that should be pretty clean, so I'm just wondering what code in my program is off.
    Last edited by Thundathigh; 09-14-2012 at 05:56 AM.

_Mike's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Thundathigh View Post
    _Mike are you sure the pixel value for the watermark is only 1 off, or is part of my code wrong?
    For the resolutions I tested, yes. If you tell me the resolution of the image you're using I can get you the exact coords the client is using. Or if you want to check yourself the memory addresses are:
    wow.exe + 0xDCCA60 : number of rects
    wow.exe + 0xDCC960 : array of rects, 16 bit ints in the order x, width, y, height

Just remember to take a screenshot at the correct resolution first before you read them or they won't be correct.

jack445's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't really been posting here too much before but if it's useful for you in any way, I'll be more than happy to help.
    Recently, I've been creating a program to generate QR codes (sadly, I can't share the source code of it), however I can share with you how the data is encoded there.

Due to my postcount being too low, I can't post all those links. You'll have to change h**p to http manually.

QR codes have an ability to encode data in numeric, alphanumeric or 8-bit byte modes. Each mode handles input data in a different way:
    - in numeric mode the input is divided into groups of 3 digits starting from the left (most significant) digit. After that, those 3-digit numbers are converted into 10-bit binary representation. If the last numer contains only 2 or 1 digit it is converted to 7 and 4 bits respectively.
    - in alphanumeric mode the input data is divided to groups of 2 letters, starting from the left as well. Letters are given the numeric value according to the encoding table (h**p://i.imgur.com/m6HwR.jpg). Those groups of 2 values (assigned to letters) are then encoded as following: 45*first_val+second_val
    - in 8-bit mode there's no encoding, at all, 8-bit bytes are directly added to the data bit stream

From what I've seen so far, the account name is added to the WoW's barcode in 8 bit byte pieces, each in reversed order. This is almost the same as QR code 8-bit mode, while the rest of the data such as realm time/realm ip etc. are somewhat encoded, which I guess will be similar to QR code's numeric/alphanumeric encoding.

As a sidenote, those wondering how QR code is filled with data/error correction bytes:
    - byte placement: h**p://i.imgur.com/GAhmJ.jpg
    - bit placement: h**p://i.imgur.com/YMVBG.jpg

Hope someone finds it useful. If you have any further question about QR codes, I'll try to help.

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    150/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find this particularly interesting:

Between May 22, 2007 and November 11, 2009, any malicious hacker who knew about this could have used a screenshot of a lucrative character to find their actual username & active realm and then either try to scam them out of their password, or just brute-force it.
    Although brute forcing just would not have been feasible (you get some attempts then it bans your IP for a short duration), if your character name was in the screenshot, it could have been very dangerous.

Know character name, realm and account name. Time to go and harass them/try to blackmail them?

saillaw's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the folks at The Daily Blink have cracked the code:

Sendatsu's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by jack445 View Post
    I haven't really been posting here too much before but if it's useful for you in any way, I'll be more than happy to help.
    Recently, I've been creating a program to generate QR codes (sadly, I can't share the source code of it), however I can share with you how the data is encoded there.

Due to my postcount being too low, I can't post all those links. You'll have to change h**p to http manually.

QR codes have an ability to encode data in numeric, alphanumeric or 8-bit byte modes. Each mode handles input data in a different way:
    - in numeric mode the input is divided into groups of 3 digits starting from the left (most significant) digit. After that, those 3-digit numbers are converted into 10-bit binary representation. If the last numer contains only 2 or 1 digit it is converted to 7 and 4 bits respectively.
    - in alphanumeric mode the input data is divided to groups of 2 letters, starting from the left as well. Letters are given the numeric value according to the encoding table (h**p://i.imgur.com/m6HwR.jpg). Those groups of 2 values (assigned to letters) are then encoded as following: 45*first_val+second_val
    - in 8-bit mode there's no encoding, at all, 8-bit bytes are directly added to the data bit stream

From what I've seen so far, the account name is added to the WoW's barcode in 8 bit byte pieces, each in reversed order. This is almost the same as QR code 8-bit mode, while the rest of the data such as realm time/realm ip etc. are somewhat encoded, which I guess will be similar to QR code's numeric/alphanumeric encoding.

As a sidenote, those wondering how QR code is filled with data/error correction bytes:
    - byte placement: h**p://i.imgur.com/GAhmJ.jpg
    - bit placement: h**p://i.imgur.com/YMVBG.jpg

Hope someone finds it useful. If you have any further question about QR codes, I'll try to help.

Hello and thank you for sharing this information. I will see how I can apply it to our case.

Originally Posted by saillaw View Post
    It looks like the folks at The Daily Blink have cracked the code: [img]

Loved it

Vip3ra's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Lore in Legendary 93, he has known about this watermarking since the burning crusade, when blizzard used this information to ban people that leaked screenshots.

Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Vip3ra View Post
    According to Lore in Legendary 93, he has known about this watermarking since the burning crusade, when blizzard used this information to ban people that leaked screenshots.
    Thank you for this! Go to 1:11:11 @ Watch Legendary 93: Buff Wizards! | Legendary - The World Of Warcraft Show Episodes | Blip

filuta's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what was the screenshot format in TBC alpha - JPG or TGA?

Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by filuta View Post
    So what was the screenshot format in TBC alpha - JPG or TGA?
    That's a good point filuta. Well, TBC alpha was being used back in August 2006 (WoW Burning Crusade in alpha testing - PC Games) and the JPG screenshot format was available (officially) for the first time in May 2007, so either:

1) They were using a watermarking mechanism for TGAs back then or
    2) Lore heard rumors that weren't true or applied to WotLK alpha.

We need to find unconverted* TGA screenshots before 22 May 2007 (Patch 2.1.0) and see if we manage to identify a watermark somehow embedded inside.

* By unconverted I mean: don't upload them as JPGs or PNGs, leave them as they were when you captured them (TGAs) and upload them somewhere that doesn't make any changes to the files
    Last edited by Sendatsu; 09-15-2012 at 04:49 AM.

Smitten's Avatar i want to believe who even plays wow anymore 🤔
    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    909/1036
    Trade Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Sendatsu View Post
    That's a good point filuta. Well, TBC alpha was being used back in August 2006 (WoW Burning Crusade in alpha testing - PC Games) and the JPG screenshot format was available (officially) for the first time in May 2007, so either:

1) They were using a watermarking mechanism for TGAs back then or
    2) Lore heard rumors that weren't true or applied to WotLK alpha.

We need to find unconverted* TGA screenshots before 22 May 2007 (Patch 2.1.0) and see if we manage to identify a watermark somehow embedded inside.

* By unconverted I mean: don't upload them as JPGs or PNGs, leave them as they were when you captured them (TGAs) and upload them somewhere that doesn't make any changes to the files
    I have some tga from release right up to 2.1.0 on my old hard drive.

I'll see if I can find a caddy / cables to retrieve them.

_Mike's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Sendatsu View Post
    Funny guy..
    2.1.0 is the first patch where the watermark code is included. I checked all the known 2.0.x binaries including 3 alpha versions. So unless I made some major mistakes he's just making things up to appear like he knows stuff.

Thanks G/R
    1/16
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by _Mike View Post
    Funny guy..
    2.1.0 is the first patch where the watermark code is included. I checked all the known 2.0.x binaries including 3 alpha versions. So unless I made some major mistakes he's just making things up to appear like he knows stuff.
    Oh I definitely trust Assembly more than rumors

Unholyshaman's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a list of pre-bc and TBC screenshots that have been uploaded by someone. I've had these bookmarked for a while but I don't know if they have been edited at all etc. Maybe some of you will find them useful.

Index of /Screenshots/Wow04-07(classic)
    Index of /Screenshots/Wow07-08(bc)/Screenshots/Converted