0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Do I: Put WoW on an HD

Hey guys, I saw some information about my question spread out in little bits all around this site so I just wanted to see if I could get one direct answer.

I dont want to keep world of warcraft installed on my PC (my PC is new, my girlfriend/parents hate WoW and think that i quit) and so I was wondering how I could have it on my HD (its this mini Maxtor Onetouch III with 60 GB on it). Is this possible/how do i do it. (USB 1.0 & 1.1).

How does it work as in how do I:
    get it on the HD
    play WoW from it
    how does it affect the game (will it run really slowly?)

*I would do this on my ipod except someone stole mine*

Please help!
    Thanks in advance =)

How Do I: Put WoW on an HD
    laineter's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How Do I: Put WoW on an HD

I think WOW does not work on HD bcoz my friend try it then he meets some errors it is better in pc just explain to your girlfriend and parents that WOW is a good game and this is your happiness. Btw, try to google on how to install it maybe it will help.

Marlo's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes you can do this if its recodnised as an external hard drive. You can probably just drag and drop the wow files onto it. But the downside is that since it is USB loading time will be very VERY long.

Maq-'s Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should be able to easily do this. The best way would be to have the hard drive plugged in and functioning (able to view it in "My Computer", and simply re-install WoW. During the install process, you're asked to choose the folder WoW will install to, default of c:\Program Files\World Of Warcraft. You can change that to <your external drive's designator>:\World Of Warcraft, or really, wherever you wanted to install it.

It will be a LOT slower than if it were installed on a normal IDE/SCSI/SATA hard drive, though, due to the fact that it has to run over the USB. And, are you sure you have USB 1.0/.1? If the computer is newer, there's no reason it shouldn't be 2.0. If it is in fact 1.0, I wouldn't suggest trying, because that would be so extremely slow.

If you still want to try it, after the install, to keep it stealth, delete the World Of Warcraft program group that's installed (Start -> Programs -> World Of Warcraft), and the shortcut that's installed on your desktop. To launch WoW, you'd have to do it manually, by clicking on "My Computer" -> <Your external drive> -> <the folder you installed WoW in> -> WoW.exe/Launcher.exe (whichever you prefer).

I wouldn't suggest doing the "copy files" method, as registry values are added, pointing to the c:\program files\world of warcraft folder, and it'll probably throw a fit and/or give errors during gameplay if you simply move the files.

Hope this helps!
    "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

Angel7Slayer's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks, i meant USB (2.0, 1.1) and when i sed that i meant the external HD itself, im not sure what USB the cpu itself is, lol, didnt bother to check

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/OTIII_Mini/ btw, heres the link

so does this mean i can play WoW without installing it again on my PC?

and can i download patches right onto the external HD? my model does work for this, right?

so the loading time fo rthe game is slow but it still runs fine, right?

thanks again
    Last edited by Angel7Slayer; 03-13-2007 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Auto-merged Doublepost
    I'm wearing a black suit....one....two...three....NOT!

Maq-'s Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You would have to install it, but you wouldn't install it on c: (the primary partition of your first hard drive) -- You install it >to< the removable hard drive. Like I explained in the last post, during the install process you get a box asking where you want to install WoW, which defaults to "C:\Program Files\World Of Warcraft" -> You need to change that to your removable hard drive's letter, which would more than likely be E:, but that all depends on your system. If you only have one hard drive, and one cd/dvd rom/writer, then the letter of your removable hard drive should be E:. But, if you have additional hard drives, or CD/DVD's, or media card readers, it may be different. Just look in "My Computer" to see the letter of the drive.

And yes, the patches should download straight to the external hard drive, because it was re-installed to that drive, and all the registry values would have been updated to reflect that.

And as far as loading/play lag, I can't be 100% certian. I have never done it. It may be almost as fast as it would be normally, or it may be crazy slow, both in loading and play, depending on how many other USB devices you have connected. There's really only one way to find out, and that's to give it a shot =)

-Maq-

Originally Posted by Angel7Slayer
    thanks, i meant USB (2.0, 1.1) and when i sed that i meant the external HD itself, im not sure what USB the cpu itself is, lol, didnt bother to check

http://www.maxtorsolutions.com/en/catalog/OTIII_Mini/ btw, heres the link

so does this mean i can play WoW without installing it again on my PC?

and can i download patches right onto the external HD? my model does work for this, right?

so the loading time fo rthe game is slow but it still runs fine, right?

thanks again
    "There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't."

Angel7Slayer's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks a lot for the help, im gonna try downloading it right now, ill update with the speed if anyone was wondering how well it runs
    I'm wearing a black suit....one....two...three....NOT!

ShortButStrong's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or you can if that gives you problems. Install on your computer as if doing it normally. the copy paste all program files to your HD then when you want to play you can play off the HD or copy it to your desktop, i used to do this with a work computer that had no room.
    - back for a bit to see how everyone is.