Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little tip for the duel daily (Argent Tournament)

The quest mentioned is The Grand Melee - Quest - World of Warcraft .
    I realize some may have trouble (like me) to complete the quest, especially if they haven't tried before. The above has a good tip for this quest, but in my case only worked very few times (lag?).

Your quest mount has 5 abilities.

1. Button 1, simple lance hit, speed 3.0
    2. Button 2, break shield, ability that removes 1 stack of defense from your opponent effectively increasing your damage by 30% (it is a ranged ability, has a minimum range and maximum)
    3. Button 3, charge, charges the enemy and removes a stack (maybe two) of defense, while doing damage (ranged ability, has a minimum range and maximum)
    4. Button 4, defend, increases your defense by one stack (30%), very important ability, must be used every cd if you are below 3 stacks
    5. Button 5, fully heal your mount, can only be used out of combat

The tactic i use is a sure win and goes like this (it takes a couple minutes per opponent):

You equip your lance and ride the argent mount (depends on race).Make sure you have 3 stacks of defense (button 4). Every stack of defense reduces damage taken by 30%. With 1 stack you get hit for around 2.2k (normal lance hits, no charge), with 2 stacks you get hit for around 1.3k and with 3 stacks for around 325.

Once you have 3 stacks of defense, talk to the npc you need to challenge and start hitting button 3 (charge). The npc starts walking away from you and once he is on minimum charge range you charge. Immediately turn your mount around him while hitting continuously button 1 (melee hit).

Keep close to him, don't let him get range, or he will either charge you (most of the times) or shield break you. By the time he gets his defense up you should have got him several hits for 1.3k at least.

After a few seconds, he will start walking away from you again. DON'T follow him, let him get some distance, until button 2 (shield break) lights up on your screen, allowing to use shield break ability. When you see it lighting up, start hitting button 2, while at the same time start moving towards him.

95% of the time he won't have enough time to cast charge on you or even shield break, because by the time he completes the cast you are next to him, under the minimum range required. Now he has 2 (or 1) stacks of defense and you can safely melee hit him (button 1) a few times for 1.3k, while getting hit for 325.

Rinse and repeat until he is surrenders.

Note: Sometimes, he will move too far away from the ring, so you need to get back in the ring, otherwise you will lose. So you need 3 stacks of defense and start moving back in the ring, keep moving away from him until you are very far away from charging distance. You will probably eat up a couple of shield breaks, so keep your cooldowns and get back on 3 stacks of defense asap. You can charge him (or shield break) him, while he is trying to get back in range for charge.

Needs a bit of reflex here.Basically you burn out your opponent, while at the same time reduce the damage taken. Once you start using this tactic, you can tweak it to your liking and you can add some charges here and there to win faster.

Enjoy
    Last edited by just2knowthis; 04-28-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Little tip for the duel daily (Argent Tournament)
    Thorgaard's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not an exploit. Just a normal tactic.

1 33 m n's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be moved to guides
    Probly will help tho... i suck at those things
    FLAME ON!

Leonim's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    11/17
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how is this a exploit? -_-
    l2read

just2knowthis's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    plz move it then, or should i if possible.

Flawl's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either way, you say Shield Breaker increases your dmg by 30%. That's incorrect!
    It removes one of the stacks of shield, your opponent has on him (if any).
    That doesn't increase your dmg by 30%, but it decreases the dmg the enemy reduces by 30%.
    Hope that wasn't too hard to understand :B

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    effectively its the same thing. either way you see it you do 30% more damage than normally and normally is with 3 stacks of defense most of the time. npcs tend to use defense to the max any cd they have. so should us.

Tellie's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm lets give this a try

Beaumis's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once you have 3 stacks of defense, talk to the npc you need to challenge and start hitting button 3 (charge). The npc starts walking away from you and once he is on minimum charge range you charge. Immediately turn your mount around him while hitting continuously button 1 (melee hit).
    Or you could just charge him, use the momentum, jump, turn in the air, hit shield breaker and then close in on him again. There, you have removed two of his shields while you didn't loose any.
    Then just lance him till he walks away again and repeat the process.

EntaroAdun88's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by just2knowthis View Post
    effectively its the same thing. either way you see it you do 30% more damage than normally and normally is with 3 stacks of defense most of the time. npcs tend to use defense to the max any cd they have. so should us.
    No it's not the same thing. You, sir, are an idiot.

And this is not an exploit.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it's not the same thing.
    Please explain. Removing one stack of shield on your opponent means the target when hit by you will get 30% more damage. That is the whole point of breaking his shield: do more damage. Or if you prefer, will reduce your damage 30% less. Is that correct? Of course it is. Look it up.

This is what i said:
    Button 2, break shield, ability that removes 1 stack of defense from your opponent effectively increasing your damage by 30% (it is a ranged ability, has a minimum range and maximum)
    Kinda self explained. Key word here is effectively. Means practically. Your opponent usually gets 3 stacks of shield every chance and cooldown they have. So the normal damage you do to him is reduced by 90%. If you break 1 stack of his shield, then the damage you will do to him is reduced by 60% (until he applies defense again) and not 90%. Does this means you do 30% more damage? Of course it does.

You, sir, are an idiot.
    No comment on that. Except maybe, like LOL. Read above.

And this is not an exploit.
    Yap, already admitted that, it's more like a tactic, a tip (read the thread title). So very wrong to post this here, my bad. Apologies. Admins please move this thread to Strategies or whatever.

Or you could just charge him, use the momentum, jump, turn in the air, hit shield breaker and then close in on him again. There, you have removed two of his shields while you didn't loose any.
    Then just lance him till he walks away again and repeat the process.
    Thanks Beaumis. Good tweak. Got to test and see if the GCD gets in the way though.
    Last edited by just2knowthis; 04-28-2009 at 06:23 AM.

renork's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by just2knowthis View Post
    Please explain. Removing one stack of shield on your opponent means the target when hit by you will get 30% more damage. That is the whole point of breaking his shield: do more damage. Or if you prefer, will reduce your damage 30% less. Is that correct? Of course it is. Look it up.

If the target has no shield hitting him with shield breaker does not increase damage by anything. Might be a small difference but NOT the same.

Also as mentioned above it goes a LOT quicker if you charge and then shield break every time you get to range when the mob walks away. If you charge and turn in an arc as soon as you hit them you can shield break and close to melee range before they ever get off even a shield break. By 2 walk-aways they have no shield while you have 3 stacks and you burn them down in a heartbeat. I now consistently down them every time without getting below 40k health and have to skip healing myself in between 1-2 and 5-6 because of the 1 min CD on heal (4-5 I have time because I'm heading from champions ring to valiants one).
    Last edited by renork; 04-28-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Plainstrider's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not an exploit but is a simple, damn good guide for a quest line that blizzard made incredibly, ridiculously, retardedly (and any other expletive you can think of)...hard. Someone should almost sticky the original post or put it in a highly visible guide somewhere, ignoring the idiots who nitpicked with the guy's wording. Might I suggest a thread somewhere that gives a list of various very effective strategies for these quests? I'm too lazy to do it myself, but this would belong there as well as a few other strategies I've seen.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate all creative posts (big thanks). My initial idea was to offer some tip to help with a - in my opinion - pretty hard daily. The method i described offers an easy way to complete the quest, while at the same time protecting the player as much as possible (no unnecessary risks taken). I would like to thank all people that added to and tweaked my tip. I learned some tricks too

About the quest it self now i have some comments:

If the target has no shield hitting him with shield breaker does not increase damage by anything. Might be a small difference but NOT the same.
    Obviously. If the target has no shield, of course you will continue to do the same damage. It's just my experience that npcs use defense ability (add shield stack) VERY often (almost always), so in my opinion most of the time they are with 3 stacks. Hitting the target with no shield with the shield break ability only does some damage but a lot less than a simple melee hit. I wouldn't use it if i were you, in this case.

The charge-shield break trick really works. I tried it yesterday. Thanks.
    My advice for people that haven't tried that quest before is to try and master my initial technique first. They will understand how abilities work and how npcs move. Then they can add the charge-shield break combo.

Nothing more to say here, over and out.

PS: Just noticed this thread : http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-gu...el-easily.html
    It was made a few hours ago and has a tip that worths trying. Thanks to the thread's OP.
    Last edited by just2knowthis; 04-28-2009 at 11:41 PM.

Dendra's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is not an exploit, somebody lock it before things get out of hand. Stupid leechers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast