0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Walljump Position Helper Macro

Update: Walljumping broken in 2.4, so this macro is no longer useful. It was fun while it lasted.
    ‾‾‾‾

Update: Modified to work with 2.3.2! Text color is now calculated dynamically with a more accurate range of directions. I left a compatible old version of the macro, in case anyone prefers it.
    ‾‾‾‾

Most explorers know that you can stick to near-vertical walls by jumping up them facing north, south, east, or west. Trouble is, you have to experiment to find the right angle, and that might get you killed half-way through a long wall jumping session.

Here's my macro to show me exactly where I'm facing and whether or not the angle will work with a jump. Note: This isn't that old compass-looking mod, although the concept is similar.

Compass Macro:

Just run this macro any time you need to know exactly where you're facing, and the display will stay there until you log out or reload your UI.
    Code:
    /run local p,f,m,t=Minimap,CreateFrame"Frame"m,t=({p:GetChildren()})[49],p:CreateFontString(0,0,"SystemFont")t:SetPoint("TOP",0,-20)f:SetScript("OnUpdate",function()p=m:GetFacing()/PI%.5;t:SetText(format("\124cff%02xbb00%.3f",255*(1-abs(4*p-1)^92),p))end)
    The text turns green when your position is as close as possible to 0, which indicates that you'll likely stick the landing. If a wall's giving you trouble, try aligning yourself very close to "0.500". From my experience, angles within 0.004 of a boundary can all work, but each wall has only one specific angle that works all the time.

Scanning for jump coordinate...

Jump coordinate locked; engage spacebar!

____
    Here's an older version of the macro with less features if you prefer it (Updated to work with patch 2.3.2):
    Code:
    /run local p,f,m,t=Minimap,CreateFrame"Frame"m,t=({p:GetChildren()})[49],p:CreateFontString(0,0,"SystemFont")t:SetPoint("TOP",0,-20)f:SetScript("OnUpdate",function()p=m:GetFacing()/PI%.5;t:SetText((p<.002 and"\124cff11ff11"or"")..format("%.3f",p))end)
    Last edited by Saiket; 03-25-2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Fixed backslashes. Changed image hosts. 2.3.3 compatible. Moved text down slightly. Deprecated.

Walljump Position Helper Macro
    shadowbladex's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Walljump Position Helper Macro

This is nice, but wow, it would take wayyyyy to long to walljump
    by exact angles. Ur better off just doing what i do and learn the limits
    and know how to angle your character with each jump.

But like i said, this is nice.

Equ1N0X's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey not to dim ur day but theres a combo of addon+program which makes walljumping as easy as holding 1 button, perfect every time. ill fetch links.

SIMPLECompass
    with simplecompass just enlarge to a 5 inch diameter and align the needle with perfect north,east,west, south. it uses hidden game models to determine TRUE direction. once aligned to true direction, and using recorded jumps (ussually F1,F3,F4 fork best, alot of times you will need others though)

now for actual perfect jumps:
    JUMPMASTER BY CHAZZWAZZA
    lol it has pre recorded jumps. use these two combined for EZMODE no skill jumping :P
    Last edited by Equ1N0X; 12-05-2007 at 10:16 PM.

sublime0392's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amazing....wow. +rep

Saiket's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by shadowbladex View Post
    This is nice, but wow, it would take wayyyyy to long to walljump
    by exact angles. Ur better off just doing what i do and learn the limits
    and know how to angle your character with each jump.
    I usually approach walljumping with both methods, since standard jumping back and forth across a wall isn't always possible. For the times you're forced to go straight up rather than side to side, this macro should help.

Originally Posted by tinkerfoe View Post
    hey not to dim ur day but theres a combo of addon+program which makes walljumping as easy as holding 1 button, perfect every time. ill fetch links.
    I wrote the macro so you wouldn't have to enlarge a compass mod to fill your screen and estimate the "exact" position of the needle. Think of the macro as a replacement for SimpleCompass, if you ever even used that mod.
    ____
    Edit: Just to clarify, my macro uses the same mechanic as SimpleCompass to determine the player's true direction. The biggest difference between this macro and that mod is how easy you can read your direction. With the macro, just swivel your character around until the text turns green.
    Last edited by Saiket; 12-06-2007 at 02:10 AM.

_Shapes_'s Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you can just learn the right angels by experince and just dump all this worthless addons and stuff that will get nerfed and u all off a sundden are worthless at wall jumping again (I know I didn't speel everything the exact right way ... gimem a break i woke up like 10 mins ago :O)
    Just because you can't... I can
    Winterfel

Stew's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    vbulletin likes to screw up slashes in code blocks, theres only supposed to be one backslash in the green colour code bit
    Last edited by Stew; 12-06-2007 at 08:30 AM.

Saiket's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by _Shapes_ View Post
    Or you can just learn the right angels by experince and just dump all this worthless addons and stuff that will get nerfed and u all off a sundden are worthless at wall jumping again
    Are you telling me that you can give your direction to within one pixel of movement's accuracy without a little trial and error first?

Yeah, I can't get it on the first try either; thus, this macro. Even if you don't want to keep it in your set of macros, just remember that it's archived here on this website for whenever you need it.

I actually wrote it when one of my walljumps required a transition between standard back and forth walljumping and vertical climbing. It was really high up, and I couldn't afford to make a "best estimate" of my direction. I felt the same way as you did about SimpleCompass until I encountered that jump.

Equ1N0X's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you can just learn the right angels by experince and just dump all this worthless addons and stuff that will get nerfed and u all off a sundden are worthless at wall jumping again (I know I didn't speel everything the exact right way ... gimem a break i woke up like 10 mins ago :O)....

I use them to speed up my time. i can align west/north by hand pretty easy. just gotta remember what needle lloooks like relative. and simplecompass isnt gonna get nerfed, its been out there a long time and ive asked GMs if its allowed, blizz has nothing against... also the jumpmaster is a keyboard recorder, unless you re-bound your arrow keys+spacebar it should aways work.

btw simplecompass can make good estimates taking up 2 in accross. 4 is just precaution

Caimen's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a nub with walljumping and this really helped =)

Wonderboy's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice macro man!

BonutDot's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Saiket View Post
    Are you telling me that you can give your direction to within one pixel of movement's accuracy without a little trial and error first?
    Of course he can! He's from the INTERNET!!

I have to admit, I couldn't walljump vertically at all without simplecompass or this macro. It's a great help.

Ebah's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, Nice job, and I would +rep you if i could. But I think that good walljumping should come from experiance, thats a true explorer.

Exodius's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice job on this exploit going to use it.

Nastya's Avatar Banned Goodbye OwnedCore CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    6 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice macro
    Worked great for me
    +Rep