2/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TrinityCoreCustomChanges

So I've been compiling TC since forever but haven't ever really needed more than one patch until now, my question is when I'm merging the branches that I need in my core after the first I get merge conflicts, I am a quick learner but I have nothing to go off of. I open my diffmerge which has 3 windows open showing code in all 3, I can't actually make any changes but I can close it and it asks to save it if tell it yes it will ask me if I want to commit, yet I know the issues are still there as I can see them in my commit index. I'm willing to pay for a quick tutorial, also willing to except any helpful support whether it be paid or free, thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Gameshark; 10-19-2021 at 09:08 AM.

TrinityCoreCustomChanges
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Gameshark View Post
    So I've been compiling TC since forever but haven't ever really needed more than one patch until now, my question is when I'm merging the branches that I need in my core after the first I get merge conflicts, I am a quick learner but I have nothing to go off of. I open my diffmerge which has 3 windows open showing code in all 3, I can't actually make any changes but I can close it and it asks to save it if tell it yes it will ask me if I want to commit, yet I know the issues are still there as I can see them in my commit index. I'm willing to pay for a quick tutorial, also willing to except any helpful support whether it be paid or free, thanks in advance!
    When you get a conflict it will insert three lines in your source code where each conflict happens:

Code:
    <<<<<<< HEAD
    this is some content to mess with
    content to append
    =======
    totally different content to merge later
    >>>>>>> new_branch_to_merge_later
    What this signifies is that one branch has the code between <<<<< and =====, and the other branch has different code between ===== and >>>>>. The code version control software does not know how to automatically resolve this conflict, which parts to take from each branch.

To resolve the conflict all you must do is remove all the text until the code matches what it should look like in the end. You can add and commit the file to resolve the conflict.

The theory is simple, but it is quite easy to take the wrong piece of code and then have follow-on problems. If the two branches have diverged quite a bit, then you can end up with a lot of conflicts which are very time consuming to resolve.

I suspect the GUI you are using is showing you both versions of the branch and the proposed merged code. I find these views very hard to follow personally, it depends what you find easiest. I prefer to just directly edit the text myself.

There are a lot of tutorials and guides out there for how to resolve merge conflicts, for example: Git merge conflicts | Atlassian Git Tutorial There are a lot of different techniques and tools you can use to help resolve them.

If you are not sure on any of this I can expand further, but hopefully this is enough to get you going.

3. Thanks Gameshark (1 members gave Thanks to stoneharry for this useful post)
    Gameshark's Avatar Active Member
    CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been able to merge a few things which is good but at the same time I’d like to figure out what I may be doing wrong with the rest. Do you use a specific set of software to do yours? Also if you could expand further or possibly lend me an example that would be awesome. I’ve been reading lots and compiling lots, attempting merges and compiling/deleting and re-doing for 3 days now. If you have team viewer and wouldn’t mind showing me the master ways I would be very grateful. Thanks.