Hosting my server through my router VS hosting my server through a rented vpn? menu

User Tag List

Simonich's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hosting my server through my router VS hosting my server through a rented vpn?

Hey fellas.

I want to create a vanilla pserver, edit its database, do my thing and stuff. Done it before, through my shit 10 year old computer with 2gb ram and my average internet, it could fit 20 people before lagging to hell (was a repack too)

Alright.

But the thing is, now I moved out to a place where I don't have a stable connection. I can play games just fine through hotspotting with my phone, but im pretty sure that I cant host the server through my phone or something.

---

Now the QUESTION is, how does this "renting servers" thing work. Money is not a problem, but I haven't done it before and don't understand how it works.

I hosted my realm through my PC and had immediate access to my database. It is important to me to be able to frequently change the SQL database. Etc, add quests, add npcs and all and just make a restart to make it all applied. Is this possible if I host a server instead of hosting at home?

What are the overall differences beween hosting at home vs hosting with a vpn/dedicated server, except for performance? Will I be able to access my database as easily? Emphasizing that its gonna be a repack too

Hosting my server through my router VS hosting my server through a rented vpn?
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no difference between running a server locally or remotely. You can access the SQL database remotely by setting up a MySQL user that can connect from external IP addresses and opening port 3306 (default) on your firewall. You can connect to your server through remote desktop (Windows) or a SSH terminal (Linux).

McVey2020's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no difference. Renting a dedicated server is a very nice option, because you're going to have a very powerful machine, with a very good connection, which is going to exclude any lags on your server. You can also access your SQL Database easily whenever you're going to need it. I have a lot of experience in that area, as I have ran a lot of servers in different games. I was always using the cheapest dedicated servers, and haven't ever met any problems. It's working very stable, and has a very nice price for its quality. Frankly speaking, it's much better than running a server on your own PC. The server is going to be online 24/24, and it has a lot of features, that I have already mentioned above.
    Last edited by McVey2020; 02-27-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Zhiruo's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am thinking to start a new business of Auto Printing Machines Manufactures in the USA for the corporate to do the work with them. Will this business will be worthful or not. I need some suggestions for Guys...