Thanks G/R
    150/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't use my spell editor with patch 1.12.1. Only 3.3.5a. But you can compare spells because it is unlikely they have changed between versions on how they are implemented.

Spell effect 1:

Spell effect 2:

The first does +damage, the second +healing.

It's the base points you want to change. That has a value of 21 in both spell effects. It is quite confusing, in this case it is doing basePoints + dieSides.

As for how to edit the spell.dbc: 01 - Overview of How WoW Modding Works

That takes you through the WoW editing processes quite well, but for what you're after: Dropbox - MyDBCEditor.zip

Spells in MANGOS 1.12.1.
    Evever's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by stoneharry View Post
    You can't use my spell editor with patch 1.12.1. Only 3.3.5a. But you can compare spells because it is unlikely they have changed between versions on how they are implemented.

Spell effect 1:

Spell effect 2:

The first does +damage, the second +healing.

It's the base points you want to change. That has a value of 21 in both spell effects. It is quite confusing, in this case it is doing basePoints + dieSides.

As for how to edit the spell.dbc: 01 - Overview of How WoW Modding Works

That takes you through the WoW editing processes quite well, but for what you're after: Dropbox - MyDBCEditor.zip
    So the 21 is actually 22, because of the modifier... I see... Lemme try a few things and I'll get back to you, I think this could work, very easily, biggest/bigger question though, for recompiling the server, again I'm a very avid Everquest Coder, how do I do it on World of Warcraft? Because for EQ we use Visual Studio to rebuild it into a source, WoW looks like it uses something else to make a 'patch' if you will... is this correct?

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    150/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Evever View Post
    So the 21 is actually 22, because of the modifier... I see... Lemme try a few things and I'll get back to you, I think this could work, very easily, biggest/bigger question though, for recompiling the server, again I'm a very avid Everquest Coder, how do I do it on World of Warcraft? Because for EQ we use Visual Studio to rebuild it into a source, WoW looks like it uses something else to make a 'patch' if you will... is this correct?
    cmake is used to generate the solution files. Then you can compile it from visual studio. This works for the server, but the server database isn't the single source of truth. The server reads data from the DBC files which are taken from the client. This is why you need to update both the client and server depending on what you want to work.

If you choose to update the client then you have to work with Blizzard's in-house formats. The WoW client is a compiled binary that we don't have the full source code to so we cannot modify that directly. You can reverse engineer it and modify the binary to jump to injected arbitrary code, but this is not easy by any standards. To work with the WoW client files is a lot simpler though. Talking <= 3.3.5a Data is stored in MPQ's (archives), game data in DBC Files, images in BLP files, etc. See: wowdev

To get the client to load any of your changes you must package it in a MPQ and give it a certain name by default. This is why the process seems so strange compared to other modding scenes.

Evever's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cmake is used to generate the solution files. Then you can compile it from visual studio. This works for the server, but the server database isn't the single source of truth. The server reads data from the DBC files which are taken from the client. This is why you need to update both the client and server depending on what you want to work.

If you choose to update the client then you have to work with Blizzard's in-house formats. The WoW client is a compiled binary that we don't have the full source code to so we cannot modify that directly. You can reverse engineer it and modify the binary to jump to injected arbitrary code, but this is not easy by any standards. To work with the WoW client files is a lot simpler though. Talking <= 3.3.5a Data is stored in MPQ's (archives), game data in DBC Files, images in BLP files, etc. See: wowdev

To get the client to load any of your changes you must package it in a MPQ and give it a certain name by default. This is why the process seems so strange compared to other modding scenes.
    Hmm cmake is giving me an attitude.... Strange. I'll see why and see if I can't fix it. lol

Evever's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah my Cmake is not saying any of my versions of Visual is a valid version to build a solution... sad panda.

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    150/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Evever View Post
    Yeah my Cmake is not saying any of my versions of Visual is a valid version to build a solution... sad panda.
    You need Visual Studio (Community) >= 15 (2017) (Desktop).

Evever's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need Visual Studio (Community) >= 15 (2017) (Desktop).
    Hmm... Yup have that..

I'mma rebuild it, because it was a repack I got, not an actual self set up server, gonna read a guild and figure it out, I'll report back when/if I figure it out! =) thanks for all your help mate.

Evever's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoops double post... lol

malahmen's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    13/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, tried to achieve a similar result by also editing some existing items, just the properties value like strength or stamina for now.

A simple query should suffice but, even after deleting the cache folder, restarting the server, and restarting the client, I fail to see any change.

So, did you managed to change the spell power?
    And if you did, how?

This seems dumb but for simple properties I finally figured it out.

If you don't want to bang your head around this for two days like I did, please completely shutdown your client also.
    Logging out and in won't cut it.
    Same goes for the server processes (although I doubt that the authentication process will have something to do with it).
    Last edited by malahmen; 10-18-2020 at 02:10 PM. Reason: fixed it for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12