Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Total conversion of blizzard games allowed ?

I read this particular part in the blizzard FAQs saying something about total conversion of blizzard games being allowed

so , can anyone tell me what are the things that the Blizzard people take as guidelines about seeing if a game is a "total conversion"
    because i have seen games like DoTA and then there are private servers which have quite literally changed most of the look and feel of the server (texture and internal core scripting and stuff) but private servers are wrong and DoTA is right , how ?

Can I do a total conversion of your games?
    Yes. We've seen some very polished and fun conversions for our games, and have no problems with total conversions so long as they are for personal use and do not infringe our End User License Agreement included in our games, nor the rights of any other parties including copyrights, trademarks or other rights.

P.S. i am a newbie here so please reply if this section is correct to post this or any other thing i have done wrong .

Total conversion of blizzard games allowed ?
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modifying the client, extracting the data, or emulating etc all breaks the EULA and is not allowed.

Blizzard turn a blind eye for small fun projects that are non-profit and do not harm them directly.

phoenix1796's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for this but i just saw your thread here :Modcraft - View topic - Blizzard Installer Customisation
    and wanted to ask if the current updater(on GitHub) works the same way as described in this thread ? cause i was editing the launcher and everything works fine except the patching process where my MPQs are extracted but not executed .(this is by using patched wow.exe etc. but not your updater)

P.S. Stoneharry you rock , your threads(in multiple forums) have been a great help to help me understand the wow launcher and patching process

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by phoenix1796 View Post
    Sorry for this but i just saw your thread here :Modcraft - View topic - Blizzard Installer Customisation
    and wanted to ask if the current updater(on GitHub) works the same way as described in this thread ? cause i was editing the launcher and everything works fine except the patching process where my MPQs are extracted but not executed .(this is by using patched wow.exe etc. but not your updater)

P.S. Stoneharry you rock , your threads(in multiple forums) have been a great help to help me understand the wow launcher and patching process
    Use this tool: https://github.com/stoneharry/Blizzard-Updater

My threads on Modcraft are not entirely up to date... That tool I link to there allows you to produce the Blizzard Installer very easily, it's mostly automated building it now. Read the read me and stuff.

The Blizzard Installer works fine, plop it into your WoW directory and it will read the wow.exe and update it if it is a valid patch and so on.

Sending through WoW still works but the patch file cannot be directly applied to Trinity, you have to manually update the code (too out of date).

I really can't be bothered to type out the full process right now haha, just have a play with it and ask if you have any questions.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total conversion of blizzard games allowed ?-error-png
    I Don't know but for some reason i am getting this error (and please can you tell me what the rules.txt does ?)
    I am trying to install a patch-B.MPQ which i put in the data folder of your updater and then i run the create installer.bat (but i am not editing the rules.txt)
    Also i would like to ask if it would be okay if i create a tutorial on the whole wow launcher editing / patching process (when my patching fully works) and include your updater in it

EDIT:
    I am trying to install the patch on a enUS only version of wow 3.3.5a
    Last edited by phoenix1796; 11-15-2014 at 06:40 AM.

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total conversion of blizzard games allowed ?-error-png
    I Don't know but for some reason i am getting this error (and please can you tell me what the rules.txt does ?)
    I am trying to install a patch-B.MPQ which i put in the data folder of your updater and then i run the create installer.bat (but i am not editing the rules.txt)
    Also i would like to ask if it would be okay if i create a tutorial on the whole wow launcher editing / patching process (when my patching fully works) and include your updater in it

EDIT:
    I am trying to install the patch on a enUS only version of wow 3.3.5a
    Sounds like your rules.txt was not set up correctly, here is a snippet from mine:

Wow.exe;pc-game-hdfiles\Wow.exe;base Battle.net.dll;base\Battle.net.dll;base C - Pastebin.com

Location to install to, location in patch, where to install to (base = installation MPQ, defined as the PatchIndex. I can't remember the other possible values.)

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It works smoothly and beautifully now (Thank you Stoneharry to bear with a newbie)
    But just one problem , when i send the .mpq from the server(it contains the installer and the prepatch.lst)
    The installer is extracted(i can see it in my folder) but it is not executed even if i log in using the wow client.
    P.S. The Installer works nicely when it is run directly by putting it inside the folder and double clicking it.
    And i have made prepatch.lst as per your instructions
    sorry for troubling you so much
    Edit:
    It is done , i used a original mpq and replaced their installer with yours by renaming yours same as the original one
    it works smooth and the whole patching process is complete but it shows an error at the end about not being able to rename the installed mpq as .trash but the game works well and no problem what so ever
    Last edited by phoenix1796; 11-16-2014 at 04:37 AM. Reason: Work Done

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It works smoothly and beautifully now (Thank you Stoneharry to bear with a newbie)
    But just one problem , when i send the .mpq from the server(it contains the installer and the prepatch.lst)
    The installer is extracted(i can see it in my folder) but it is not executed even if i log in using the wow client.
    P.S. The Installer works nicely when it is run directly by putting it inside the folder and double clicking it.
    And i have made prepatch.lst as per your instructions
    sorry for troubling you so much
    Edit:
    It is done , i used a original mpq and replaced their installer with yours by renaming yours same as the original one
    it works smooth and the whole patching process is complete but it shows an error at the end about not being able to rename the installed mpq as .trash but the game works well and no problem what so ever
    1) Try run as administrator.
    2) Make sure no files are set to 'read-only'. Seems a lot of people have somehow been getting that.