0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating a single player experience.

Hey guys, I'm extremely new to this World of Warcraft modding scene, as in.. Just getting started tonight.

Basically my goal is to create a single player version of wow via private server, for just my use and possibly other's, but offline/singleplayer only. I'd like to be able to edit/modify monster abilities/stats etc. Especially in Instanced places to create a single player friendly version. I'd make raid zones very difficult dungeons. I'd also like to add in HP/Mana potions that don't have a recast timer and have the ability to share found items between all my characters.

Is there a forum I can start browsing through and what not to learn how to do this? Googling yielded pretty much 0 results on modding WoW unfortunately =/

Creating a single player experience.
    andykh's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can´t just think of an orginal and unique project then say "Lets see where I can learn how to make the thing!".. So if you as you sound have no idea what you´re going to need to do, might aswell give away the idea to someone you think might be able to do it.

tbdcarakias's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think if I put the time in I can....

All I really want is to figure out how to modify monster stats/abilities/scripting.

And how to edit my own characters, that way I could just copy/paste items one had received to another.

Oh, and to add health potions. I don't think this is a task that I couldn't learn through a bit of reading.. But if you really don't think it's possible.. Where can I go about asking if anyone would be willing to do such a mod?

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No it is possible for you to learn these things, it just isn´t how things usually work, you are supposed to learn emulation THEN think of a project, not the opposite, its like "Oh I just thought of this awesome software, I´m gonna google for info on how I can create it"

So tbh due to the complexity of what you are trying to do, you will give up sooner or later, either that or you start studying emulation seriously, putting appart your project for the next few months.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see, I was under the impression the emulation was the fairly easy part and could be done with the setup of mango or whatever, then editing the files in the WoW folder itself for the monsters and such.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Setting up a private server using a step by step guide is as easy as it gets, but thats just one of the things emulation does, setting up a private server and making items/monsters is something a 5year old can do, you´re basicly using software made by others, their ideas, their work, you are just consuming, not exactly creating anything.

Now if you want to actually MAKE a single player experience for WoW and not just a server called "Single player realm" and putting in some items and buggy single player dungeons/Contents(A bit harder than making the server but nothing too big neither if you follow guides found on the web), if you actually want to make a game like you sounded you wanted, making a real game that just uses WoW engine and basics but that is entirely your creation then...

You´re gonna need to put in some more reasearch and learning, aka you can forget the project itself for a while

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh I think you misunderstood me.
    I actually love World of Warcraft.
    I enjoy the storyline, dungeons, etc.
    Problem is I recently had to sell 2 of my accounts to make ends meet in this... difficult financial time.
    So I wanted to turn it into a single player game I could play by myself, not online, no subscription etc.

Know what I mean?

Not looking to create my own game.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I understood you, Are you trying to make a private server(identical to normal WoW plus a bit of additional bugs and glitches here and there, also you play as an Admin, giving you GM powers and enabling you to create items/mobs/spells/whatever) and play alone on it or make a personalized private server(Contrary to the other option, in this case you are making everything from scratch, making your own Zones/World/Leveling/Content/everything plus some more complicated stuff) which will be more tuned for single player gameplay?

Got to go now, but basicly, if you answered option 1, there´s alot of guides here on how to do it in 10mins
    If it´s number two, you´re off for learning LUA, C++ and all that crap, see you in a month or so if you havn´t abandoned xP.
    Last edited by andykh; 07-19-2009 at 01:13 AM.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A private server to play alone... BUT!

I want to edit the monsters and a few items to make EVERYTHING in the game soloable.

I dont want to just cheese it using GM powers.. I want to actually progress through the game from level 1.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wether you use them or not, beeing the admin of the server, you will be forced to HAVE GM powers, and for everything else, well, I got to admit I thought you were making a version of WoW from scratch to make it a more single player game, for what you really intend doing, take a look at our guides on starting a private server, its easy stuff.

EDIT: http://www.mmowned.com/forums/emulat...ers-guide.html

Then look around in the section where that thread is for more "advanced" stuff like making mobs or items

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Andy. I know the GM powers will be there but I wont use them.
    The only thing I'll do is possibly increase xp gain.

grandmst20's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reading your first post, everything you said is very possible. Here's a list of steps you could take to achieve what you want.

1. Take a look at the different emulators, there are 4 primary ones in my book: Mangos, Aspire, TrinityCore2, Trinity-Zero.

2. Take a look at the databases for each of those cores. Some key ones to note are UDB (Unified DB), Rival DB, and ZeroDB (For Trinity-Zero)

3. Figure out what game version you want to use, and what emulator to support that.

4. Learn about that core and the files it uses.

5. Make modifications once you learn about all that.

Some things you will need no matter what are MySQL, a MySQL GUI Client (SQLYog), and MS .NET Framework 3.5.

If you have any general questions about anything I just listed, let me know, I'll be glad to help ya.

Henkke's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Login
    some dudes have thinked about this earlier, search that thread for tips'n hints..

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Henkke, you're awesome. thanks.

TheSpidey's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by andykh View Post
    You can´t just think of an orginal and unique project then say "Lets see where I can learn how to make the thing!".. So if you as you sound have no idea what you´re going to need to do, might aswell give away the idea to someone you think might be able to do it.
    I strongly disagree with you. By setting up a goal he could learn a thing or two about emulation, instead of waiting for others to do his stuff for him, learning nothing in the process.